Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 02:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If you like your SS you can keep your SS, just let those who want out, opt out. Whats your problem with letting people make their own choices with their own money?
Did I state that? Do you make up my thoughts in your own head?

Of course, Amish don't pay it. Many people choose to be "contractors" and pay in very little...and get very little.

Thou doest protest too much. I paid in for about 25 years - often maxed out. I could take it or leave it because I made other arrangements.

The point is - the safety net lives for those who really are in need of it. That is a good thing especially as the .1% take more and more and leave much of the population without ANY means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Of course, Amish don't pay it. Many people choose to be "contractors" and pay in very little...and get very little.

Thou doest protest too much. I paid in for about 25 years - often maxed out. I could take it or leave it because I made other arrangements.

The point is - the safety net lives for those who really are in need of it. That is a good thing especially as the .1% take more and more and leave much of the population without ANY means.
Feel free to deny it.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Or take off the stocking cap and holster your sidearm.

Just a personal preference on my end.
How could you complete a post without using the word "statist". Watch out....you may start making sense if you post without that word or the gun to your head thing!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
How could you complete a post without using the word "statist". Watch out....you may start making sense if you post without that word or the gun to your head thing!
If you believe SS isn't armed robbery try to have a consensual exchange of a good or service minus State-approved currency or taxation.

Here's some advice: don't drop the soap where you'll be going.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:

If it's so grand why were alternate arrangements ineluctable?

Old 08-27-2019, 02:13 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
There's a solution to this: Means testing and raise the age of eligibility.
1) Where do you draw the line on means testing and what would you measure?
income, assets or both and do you include pensions and 401k as well as any retiree health benefits?

2) Refusing to pay out an accrued benefit with rules slapped on the back-end are going to be deemed unconstitutional. If you want to implement it you'll need to start now and apply to new entrants to the workforce. (Illinois tried to do this to state pensioners a few years ago.)

Old 08-27-2019, 02:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
There's a solution to this: Means testing and raise the age of eligibility.
Yeah, if they raise the age of eligibility to 90 they'll probably have more money than they need!

Had I taken the amount they took and invested it, I would have been able to retire by now and I'm not at retirement age yet.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:23 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yeah, if they raise the age of eligibility to 90 they'll probably have more money than they need!

Had I taken the amount they took and invested it, I would have been able to retire by now and I'm not at retirement age yet.
Keep in mind though that the amount they took went to a variety of things like taking care of those that are enfeebled like the mentally handicapped or to the children of a deceased worker as well as those that become disabled. That's the insurance portion of things so you can't count that as money that should have gone to retirement.

You'd still have a nice sum if you took the rest but it's not nearly as big of a number as you'd think.

Me personally, I'm cool paying it so that I don't have all my relatives that spent every cent and now live mostly on Soc. Sec. after me for food etc. because they're living in a tent down by the river. I'm only joking a little about that.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:25 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:

I seldom agree with you, but you are correct in your last paragraph. People either don't know this or are unwilling to accept it when they learn it.

Original design of Social Security was to help control the present situation regarding homeless & poor.

It was meant for the elderly, disabled etc. that were otherwise unable to support themselves.

NOT as an extra monthly check for those who could already support themselves.

It is a social insurance. Not a personal insurance you get back someday.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If it's so grand why were alternate arrangements ineluctable?
It's called Society and I do my part for my peers and children. Just because I have things a certain way doesn't mean everyone in the country does. Some eat lead off the walls of their run-down apartments and drink it in their water and are unable to economically blossom for one reason or another.

Others are born with genetic defects (we all are....but some mutations are worse than others)....

It's the same basic reason we all stay in our lanes while driving. A real Anarchist would simply swerve from lane to land just because they desire it. No need to stay on the straight and narrow.

"We" desire not to have parents cut off their child's hand so they can beg better on the streets. It's a certain type of advanced society that many parts of the world unfortunately haven't gotten too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies