U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
 
Location: USA
18,988 posts, read 9,246,915 times
Reputation: 14299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Wonderful. I can't agree more with de blasio because the progressives in NYC wealthy neighborhoods voted for this mayor and want equity. their kids will experience equity of outcome. why would these parents complain? they voted for this.
Those kids go to PRIVATE SCHOOLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
 
52,536 posts, read 42,229,748 times
Reputation: 32789
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
No tutors that I was aware of, though if you do an online search you will find tutors advertised. I do know of several families that bought practice tests. The practice tests can range from about $25 to $100, depending on how many tests are included and which company you purchase from. You can find a number of free sample test questions online, and iirc, NYC DOE will also give you a shorter sample test.
Yes, for any number of exams you can typically find free practice exams and even free tutoring IF YOU ARE MOTIVATED TO GO LOOK FOR IT. My in-laws do free tutoring in their retirement just as one example.

The really galling point to all of this is that people make excuses for those that do better academically. It's always, oh you were born smart or you had tutors or you had this or that which is mostly BS. It's galling because some kid that gets a basketball scholarship to a Div 1 school....what sort of fool would say "gee you're lucky you're good at basketball". Nope, that kid put in thousands of hours of work getting that good.

Well sorry folks but these are kids whose parents read to them a ton at a young age, took them to the library, worked on their numbers with them before they ever got to kindergarden and so forth.

Stop making excuses for people that weren't raised academically, for not doing as well as those that were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,630 posts, read 11,702,950 times
Reputation: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Acknowledging that dsjj is correct and a test is required per the article and your experience, let me ask if you were aware if any students had tutors, even though yours didn't have additional help.
LOL, im glad you could admit that.... but again, it was a part of the Op's article so im not sure why you disputed it in the first place. Unless you didnt read the source material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
 
52,536 posts, read 42,229,748 times
Reputation: 32789
Please note, the NY magnet schools were under fire previously from the NAACP in the past for not having enough blacks which if you look at the numbers can only be fixed by kicking out a bunch of asians. (Just explaining the facts)

This is not a new thing, we've had threads on this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,630 posts, read 11,702,950 times
Reputation: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, for any number of exams you can typically find free practice exams and even free tutoring IF YOU ARE MOTIVATED TO GO LOOK FOR IT. My in-laws do free tutoring in their retirement just as one example.

The really galling point to all of this is that people make excuses for those that do better academically. It's always, oh you were born smart or you had tutors or you had this or that which is mostly BS. It's galling because some kid that gets a basketball scholarship to a Div 1 school....what sort of fool would say "gee you're lucky you're good at basketball". Nope, that kid put in thousands of hours of work getting that good.

Well sorry folks but these are kids whose parents read to them a ton at a young age, took them to the library, worked on their numbers with them before they ever got to kindergarden and so forth.

Stop making excuses for people that weren't raised academically, for not doing as well as those that were.
I cant speak for New York, or how their system works overall, only what these articles from more informed people say. Its clear from De Blasio's committee that more than free practice tests are being used as they are actually talking to people who previously took and passed the test as well as those who took it and failed.

As for my own personal story to put a point on this. I was recognized by a teacher in Head Start(pre k) as being gifted. Met with a specialist, took like 3 test, and when I started Kindergarten, I was in the program.

I did all the things you are talking about and I assure you most weren't free. My parents probably shelled out thousands of dollars to make sure I was able to stay in those GEP classes. After my freshmen year in high school, I dropped the program myself. I saw no need for me or my parents to pay for AP exams or classes(those were the only classes in the program), They had enough problems trying to deal with my dads cancer treatments and bills, i wasnt going to put the extra burden on them.

Again, some states/districts are different. So im not speaking for everyone, Im just saying it wasnt free, and it was clear kids with more money could go further. It isnt just about motivation and I just think thats a lie people tell themselves when they genuinely dont understand others struggles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,630 posts, read 11,702,950 times
Reputation: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Please note, the NY magnet schools were under fire previously from the NAACP in the past for not having enough blacks which if you look at the numbers can only be fixed by kicking out a bunch of asians. (Just explaining the facts)

This is not a new thing, we've had threads on this before.
You know, you dont have to kick anyone out of the program to add others in right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Japan
11,010 posts, read 4,546,330 times
Reputation: 7051
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A large number of white liberals don't believe blacks are equal in intelligence, drive or talent; therefore, blacks require a helping hand.
If so then white liberals are correct in this case. Groups of people are not equal in any way. So if equality of outcomes is required, government must step in to put thumbs on the scales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,450 posts, read 10,342,613 times
Reputation: 20597
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
No tutors that I was aware of, though if you do an online search you will find tutors advertised. I do know of several families that bought practice tests. The practice tests can range from about $25 to $100, depending on how many tests are included and which company you purchase from. You can find a number of free sample test questions online, and iirc, NYC DOE will also give you a shorter sample test.
Thanks for your input. So reasonably priced resources are available to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, for any number of exams you can typically find free practice exams and even free tutoring IF YOU ARE MOTIVATED TO GO LOOK FOR IT. My in-laws do free tutoring in their retirement just as one example.

The really galling point to all of this is that people make excuses for those that do better academically. It's always, oh you were born smart or you had tutors or you had this or that which is mostly BS. It's galling because some kid that gets a basketball scholarship to a Div 1 school....what sort of fool would say "gee you're lucky you're good at basketball". Nope, that kid put in thousands of hours of work getting that good.

Well sorry folks but these are kids whose parents read to them a ton at a young age, took them to the library, worked on their numbers with them before they ever got to kindergarden and so forth.

Stop making excuses for people that weren't raised academically, for not doing as well as those that were.
This is the problem I have with the whole thing, as well. If people put as much time, energy and effort into succeeding that they put into trying to explain why they cannot succeed, they'd have nothing to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
LOL, im glad you could admit that.... but again, it was a part of the Op's article so im not sure why you disputed it in the first place. Unless you didnt read the source material.
There was nothing unseemly going on, I simply missed the point in the article, and I'm one of the few posters on c-d who has no trouble admitting I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Central NJ and PA
2,568 posts, read 856,639 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You know, you dont have to kick anyone out of the program to add others in right ?
On this point, there are very limited spaces for magnet/specialized schools, and a very limited number of kids who can be accepted -at least in NYC. The city tried to expand by including three new specialized high schools the year my daughter was a freshman. Not sure what eventually happened with them, but kids weren't exactly clamoring to get into the new ones that year. If anyone has info on those other three, I'd be interested in hearing it. I don't even remember what the names were.

So yes, if the city decided to let in a bunch of kids in who had previously not qualified, they would have to remove current students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
 
1,887 posts, read 634,747 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You know, you dont have to kick anyone out of the program to add others in right ?
City College tried this in the 70s and it destroyed the academics.

Good academics requires good students. Good schools aren't magical intelligence-increasing machines. They are just selective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top