U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2019, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,831 posts, read 33,926,003 times
Reputation: 52235

Advertisements

Quote:
"Joe Walsh, the former congressman who's challenging President Trump in the Republican Party's presidential primary, said in a Monday night CNN interview that he lost his popular radio show and had just received notice before arriving to the studio for the sit-down. Walsh told CNN's John Berman that he expected the move because nearly "80 to 90%" of his audience supports the president."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-wal...is-radio-show/
That sounded like a bs reason to me if the show is performing in the ratings aka allowing the Salem Broadcasting Network to charge more for advertising. Although "popular radio show" may be in the eye of the beholder.

Besides the disappointment that this Joe Walsh isn't the Joe Walsh from The Eagles...I decided to look up the Equal Time rule which seemed obvious to me that the CBS reporter should have addressed it but maybe I had it wrong.

So, I looked it up and I don't see any examples of when the host of the show is the political candidate. All of the examples, point to guests and what can and can't happen with regard to equal time. I'm pretty sure Huckabee stepped down from his FNC show when he ran for president but it could be FNC told him he had to leave. I don't remember.

The Walsh employer was the Salem Broadcasting Network.

https://radioink.com/2019/07/24/poli...opportunities/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-time_rule

Does anyone know? Is a radio station and/or TV station required to give equal time to opposing candidates when THE HOST of the show is the political candidate? Is it different if it's the primaries versus the general election? Any answer from someone who knows is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,701 posts, read 6,564,295 times
Reputation: 12260
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That sounded like a bs reason to me if the show is performing in the ratings aka allowing the Salem Broadcasting Network to charge more for advertising. Although "popular radio show" may be in the eye of the beholder.

Besides the disappointment that this Joe Walsh isn't the Joe Walsh from The Eagles...I decided to look up the Equal Time rule which seemed obvious to me that the CBS reporter should have addressed it but maybe I had it wrong.

So, I looked it up and I don't see any examples of when the host of the show is the political candidate. All of the examples, point to guests and what can and can't happen with regard to equal time. I'm pretty sure Huckabee stepped down from his FNC show when he ran for president but it could be FNC told him he had to leave. I don't remember.

The Walsh employer was the Salem Broadcasting Network.

https://radioink.com/2019/07/24/poli...opportunities/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-time_rule

Does anyone know? Is a radio station and/or TV station required to give equal time to opposing candidates when THE HOST of the show is the political candidate? Is it different if it's the primaries versus the general election? Any answer from someone who knows is appreciated.
I can't point to anything concrete to support it, but I believe that this is the reason why the political types are told to leave (or leave voluntarily) when they announce their campaigns for political office. I recall hearing this was the case in the past, but can't find any documentation to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 03:58 PM
 
2,974 posts, read 3,100,330 times
Reputation: 8507
He lost his show and his mind. He's an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 04:11 PM
 
5,905 posts, read 1,595,543 times
Reputation: 3660
Who? Seriously, I had never heard of him before today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
7,033 posts, read 6,316,510 times
Reputation: 6342
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Who? Seriously, I had never heard of him before today.
It's amazing how many extreme righties on this board have never heard of Joe Walsh. A fellow right wing crazy type guy who actually served in Congress.


LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,701 posts, read 6,564,295 times
Reputation: 12260
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's amazing how many extreme righties on this board have never heard of Joe Walsh. A fellow right wing crazy type guy who actually served in Congress.


LOL.
So you expect us to know who some random Illinois political type who spent one term (2 years) in Congress is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
 
16,451 posts, read 4,322,324 times
Reputation: 11532
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So you expect us to know who some random Illinois political type who spent one term (2 years) in Congress is?
If you watched Who is America you definitely know him!

Of course, the Right has amnesias when it comes to the Tea Party an balancing the budget and all of those type of things so we can excuse it. Now it's about White Nationalism and more debt and deficit.

See 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VOX53aBUrs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,701 posts, read 6,564,295 times
Reputation: 12260
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you watched Who is America you definitely know him!

Of course, the Right has amnesias when it comes to the Tea Party an balancing the budget and all of those type of things so we can excuse it. Now it's about White Nationalism and more debt and deficit.

See 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VOX53aBUrs
1) Didn't watch and won't watch.

2) I won't dignify your other attack with a substantive response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
67,361 posts, read 34,302,101 times
Reputation: 14505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That sounded like a bs reason to me if the show is performing in the ratings aka allowing the Salem Broadcasting Network to charge more for advertising. Although "popular radio show" may be in the eye of the beholder.

Besides the disappointment that this Joe Walsh isn't the Joe Walsh from The Eagles...I decided to look up the Equal Time rule which seemed obvious to me that the CBS reporter should have addressed it but maybe I had it wrong.

So, I looked it up and I don't see any examples of when the host of the show is the political candidate. All of the examples, point to guests and what can and can't happen with regard to equal time. I'm pretty sure Huckabee stepped down from his FNC show when he ran for president but it could be FNC told him he had to leave. I don't remember.

The Walsh employer was the Salem Broadcasting Network.

https://radioink.com/2019/07/24/poli...opportunities/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-time_rule

Does anyone know? Is a radio station and/or TV station required to give equal time to opposing candidates when THE HOST of the show is the political candidate? Is it different if it's the primaries versus the general election? Any answer from someone who knows is appreciated.
He lost his show, because they didn't want to HAVE TO give Trump and the other guy running for the Republican primary, 3 hours of equal time on air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,440 posts, read 10,335,820 times
Reputation: 20594
He lost it because he announced he was running for President and Salem Radio doesn't want to get into the whole mess with regard to FCC regulations. Continuing to air the show might appear that they're politically endorsing him / giving air time to him and not other candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top