U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

30,757 posts, read 20,294,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If scientific evidence won't convince them that man evolved or that the universe is billions of years old, they won't be convinced that climate change isn't a liberal hoax. Most conservatives have their mind made up on this issue.

"scientific evidence"?

Gee-wiz, when do we get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

5,453 posts, read 3,096,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Is this climate change scenario inevitable for any emergent technological species, I wonder?
Could be. Any living thing changes the variables of their environment to an extent.

Basically, thats one of great filters. Filters are basically events that cause extinction. Right now, our biggest filter is us.

https://youtu.be/UjtOGPJ0URM

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

25,512 posts, read 9,915,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
We got lucky in developing intelligence. Nothing inherently “good”. That’s just how things happened. One mutation lead to another and here we are. But nature can care less about intelligence. Infact, nature, or evolution doesn’t favor anything. It’s all chance.
Ok, so we are back to my point:

If nature doesn't favor anything, has no pride or prejudice, doesn't reward or punish then why should we be worried what we do to it as we carry out our lives? We are part of nature and created by it so your thread title "Unique climate change has no natural cause" makes no sense.

Anything we do is part of the plan because there is no plan and by there being no plan...that is the plan.

Get it?

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ok, so we are back to my point:

If nature doesn't favor anything, has no pride or prejudice, doesn't reward or punish then why should we be worried what we do to it as we carry out our lives? We are part of nature and created by it so your thread title "Unique climate change has no natural cause" makes no sense.

Anything we do is part of the plan because there is no plan and by there being no plan...that is the plan.

Get it?

Ya I get it. So we’re a paradox.
We make our plans.

If you wanna get more philosophical, we’re just nature, or, the universe looking into itself.

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

20,241 posts, read 14,414,369 times
Quote:
“European and US scientists have cleared up a point that has been nagging away at climate science for decades: not only is the planet warming faster than at any time in the last 2,000 years, but this unique climate change really does have neither a historic precedent nor a natural cause.”
News Flash: the 1.4°F increase over the last 140 years was reduced to 0.4°F after average global temperatures declined 1.0°F over the last 2 years.

See NASA for details.

Quote:
I know what you mean. Like the info is real, but the sad part, like in this forum, there’s those that dont care or don’t want to admit the issue is real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Seeing amateur Bad Science on internet discussion forums,...
Show us the "bad science" in these peer-reviewed articles and how the Earth is warming faster than these temperatures:

Our pollen-based climatic reconstruction suggests a mean temperature of the warmest month (MTWA) range of 9–14.5 °C during the warmest interval of the last interglacial. The reconstruction from plant macrofossils, representing more local environments, reached MTWA values above 12.5 °C in contrast to today's 2.8 °C.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~acr/migrate...0al%202008.pdf

Just to make sure we're clear on the concept, 12.5°C is 22.5°F warmer than present temperatures.
From applications of both correspondence analysis regression and best modern analogue methodologies, we infer July air temperatures of the last interglacial to have been 4 to 5 °C warmer than present on eastern Baffin Island, which was warmer than any interval within the Holocene.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Arctic_Canada

Again, to make sure we're clear on the concept, 4.0°C - 5.0°C is 7.2°F - 9.0°F.
Palaeo data suggest that Greenland must have been largely ice free during Marine Isotope Stage 11 (MIS-11). The globally averaged MIS-11 sea level is estimated to have reached between 6–13 m above that of today.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16008

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

25,512 posts, read 9,915,100 times
Quote:
Ya I get it. So we’re a paradox.
We make our plans.

If you wanna get more philosophical, we’re just nature, or, the universe looking into itself.
So why is "climate change" such a big concern to you?

In all your threads I'm pretty sure you don't call for specific actions or plans, either voluntary or involuntary, when it comes to these "issues".

I guess I'm asking what your motivation is here? I know there's a large segment of the population who have made it abundantly clear that "climate change" is a code word for a Marxist scheme.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

35,919 posts, read 32,603,264 times
Man has been burning stuff down for a lot longer than 2000 years.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So why is "climate change" such a big concern to you?

In all your threads I'm pretty sure you don't call for specific actions or plans, either voluntary or involuntary, when it comes to these "issues".

I guess I'm asking what your motivation is here? I know there's a large segment of the population who have made it abundantly clear that "climate change" is a code word for a Marxist scheme.
Just put some awareness.
Part of it is because I have younger cousins/siblings. Want them to not have to live in a crappy world.
Ive supported more mass transit so people drive less. Especially in L.A. it is hard to avoid driving. But I know that pales in comparison to huge industries. And good luck changing that.

I don’t think there is any perfect solution and not everyone would be happy with any proposed solution.

And I admit, I sometimes laugh when I see people like on reddit post ideas how to reduce own own personal carbon footprint as if its gonna make a difference. That’s what I call “feel good “ environmentalism. I guess because I see things for what they are now rather than being unrealistically optimistic.

The only thing I advocate now is to prepare for whats to come like mass migrations and harsher weather.

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

30,757 posts, read 20,294,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Last time we had 412ppm (taken August 5th at Mauna Loa Observatory, Hawaii) atmospheric Co2 was 3 million years ago Greenland was ice free and the ocean level was 15 metres higher than today.

Good times ahead...

The fact that we don't have an ice-free Greenland or oceans that are 15 meters higher but do have 412 ppm CO2 should be your first clue.

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

3,297 posts, read 950,712 times
we've already seen the same amount of temp increase that they are predicting...
...the only thing that's happened is things are a lot better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies