U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

13,383 posts, read 4,596,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Just put some awareness.
Part of it is because I have younger cousins/siblings. Want them to not have to live in a crappy world.
Ive supported more mass transit so people drive less. Especially in L.A. it is hard to avoid driving. But I know that pales in comparison to huge industries. And good luck changing that.

I don’t think there is any perfect solution and not everyone would be happy with any proposed solution.

And I admit, I sometimes laugh when I see people like on reddit post ideas how to reduce own own personal carbon footprint as if its gonna make a difference. That’s what I call “feel good “ environmentalism. I guess because I see things for what they are now rather than being unrealistically optimistic.

The only thing I advocate now is to prepare for whats to come like mass migrations and harsher weather.
ok, I can agree with this. Your last sentence is all there is to it. Live your life and be smart and prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

23,048 posts, read 17,061,090 times
Quote:
https://physicsworld.com/a/unique-cl...ium=ios_appnot

“European and US scientists have cleared up a point that has been nagging away at climate science for decades: not only is the planet warming faster than at any time in the last 2,000 years, but this unique climate change really does have neither a historic precedent nor a natural cause.”
2000 years? What arrogance these "scientists" have.

Let's try millions of years.

Ice age for a long time

short warming period

Ice age for a long time

That's how it has been going for millions and millions of years.

Now, suddenly, we only pay attention to 2000 years? STHU.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

25,512 posts, read 9,915,100 times
Quote:
Just put some awareness.
Part of it is because I have younger cousins/siblings. Want them to not have to live in a crappy world.
Ive supported more mass transit so people drive less. Especially in L.A. it is hard to avoid driving. But I know that pales in comparison to huge industries. And good luck changing that.

I don’t think there is any perfect solution and not everyone would be happy with any proposed solution.

And I admit, I sometimes laugh when I see people like on reddit post ideas how to reduce own own personal carbon footprint as if its gonna make a difference. That’s what I call “feel good “ environmentalism. I guess because I see things for what they are now rather than being unrealistically optimistic.

The only thing I advocate now is to prepare for whats to come like mass migrations and harsher weather.
Ok.

Well, as long as I don't point a gun at my head talk about whatever you want.

To me it isn't a matter of "believing" in climate change or not it's a matter of leaving me alone.

This goes beyond climate change though for me. It goes for everything. I still don't understand your motivation but you're an individual with the right to speak (well, in my book anyway...not too many other's books).

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

7,180 posts, read 2,604,873 times
Quote:
Just put some awareness.
To what end? If the US dropped total emissions literally to zero, including the exhalation portion of breathing, the world would have more CO2 added annually just because of China than it did in in the year 2000.
Quote:
Again, make every American 100% aware and in agreement, and....even if the US dropped total emissions literally to zero, including the exhalation portion of breathing, the world would have more CO2 added annually just because of China than it did in in the year 2000.
Quote:

Because....even if the US dropped total emissions literally to zero, including the exhalation portion of breathing, the world would have more CO2 added annually just because of China than it did in in the year 2000.
Quote:

First sensible thing you've posted on the topic in recent memory.

Fundamental Steps for the AGW Believer:
  1. Accept that no matter what the US does, China will make sure the world's CO2 emissions keep increasing.
  2. Accept that whatever fate awaits us as a result of the CO2 added to the atmosphere ever year by China, the only thing you can do is prepare for whatever you believe that fate to be.
No disrespect intended here, but even as pragmatic skeptic of the whole AGW thing, I had already done steps 1 and 2. Even if 100% valid, China negates anything anyone does anywhere else, and all I can do is prepare and take care of that which I can control. All these new angles and ways of saying the same thing on the same topic don't change my acceptance of the issue nor how I would handle preparing for and insuring against any possible crisis.

Thus, my acceptance in the theory itself is irrelevant. I prepare either way, to the best of my ability. Like how would I deal with mass migration, harsher weather, diminished food supplies, etc? Forget how that all occurs, and ask what would I do if it does? See, my issue with the whole AGW propaganda machine is that in case of a fire, I don't really care to find out how it started. I just want to put it out and not die in the process.

That is my worldview on problems - solve them. Period. Finding blame for how a problem comes into existence is beyond my paygrade and tbh, outside the scope of crap I care about. If harsher weather happens, I'll deal with it. Blaming China, America, CO2, cow farts, or whatever is irrelevant to dealing with the weather as it occurs. If food becomes more scarce...deal with it. Shrieking about "how could it have come to this" serves no useful problem solving purpose, at least not in a survival situation.

If I were going to try to "solve" the CO2 thing, then clearly, talking to Americans is pointless, since China is the audience that needs talked to. Simple math in my last post proves that. Seems the world doesn't really have much interest in any solution outside "sake down US and EU for money" though. SMH.

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 950,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Fundamental Steps for the AGW Believer:
  1. Accept that no matter what the US does, China will make sure the world's CO2 emissions keep increasing.
  2. Accept that whatever fate awaits us as a result of the CO2 added to the atmosphere ever year by China, the only thing you can do is prepare for whatever you believe that fate to be.
...very true

But China is not in it by themselves either....the rest of the developing countries contribute more to CO2 rise than China
...and trying to get all of them on the same page would be like herding cats

developing countries 1 1/2 times more > http://folk.uio.no/roberan/img/GCB20...rojections.png

Global CO2 emissions: Increases dwarf recent U.S. reductions

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.o...-s-reductions/

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

67,361 posts, read 34,302,101 times
Quote:

“European and US scientists have cleared up a point that has been nagging away at climate science for decades: not only is the planet warming faster than at any time in the last 2,000 years, but this unique climate change really does have neither a historic precedent nor a natural cause.”
Oh ya! Explain the Ice Age not being "Natural"

Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 3,096,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Oh ya! Explain the Ice Age not being "Natural"
Im sorry dude, but you talk about chem trails..

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

18,106 posts, read 11,448,159 times
Quote:

That is the biggest mistake climate change deniers make, they can't get it through their heads that there is a difference between NATURAL climate variations, and ones caused by HUMAN EFFECTS on the climate.

When I hear one of them say " Oh, the climate always changes" or " It is snowing today, so where is all this global warming ?" it makes you realize some people are just unable, or unwilling, to open up their minds and learn a damn thing. The waves could be lapping at their feet, and they would refuse to accept rising sea levels.

Some people can just not be helped, so you have to move them out of the way and move ahead without them.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

7,180 posts, read 2,604,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some people can just not be helped, so you have to move them out of the way and move ahead without them.
And I ask you, what difference can an American make when China and the rest of the developing world have increased CO2 output so far past year 2000 that if the US disappeared off the planet entirely, there would still be more CO2 emitted annually than year 2000, which was 3 years after the IPCC and Kyoto votes declaring emergency?

Do you not get that unless the US somehow figures out a way to actually remove CO2 from the GHG volume, IN ADDITION TO dropping our emissions to zero, we cannot mathematically counteract the increase from China and the developing world.

So let's say you do "help" people have their personal AGW "come ta Jeezus" moment. It's meaningless because of China and the developing world. You get that, right?

What the American AGW zealot should focus on, then, is as I said:
  1. Accept the catastrophe you expect is now 100% inevitable
  2. Prepare yourself for the coming catastrophe.
  3. Stop lobbying for a cure, start lobbying for ways to deal with living with the disease.
Because China and the developing world aren't going to stop, and the IPCC and other AGW powers that be don't really care if they do, since thus far, most AGW politics is about extracting money from the US and EU. So the CO2 caused disease is inevitable. Instead of getting me to accept that CO2 is bad, m'kay...focus instead on how to deal with the doomsday scenarios you envision occurring because of what CO2 hath wrought.

Old Today, 08:33 AM

9,461 posts, read 4,300,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"scientific evidence"?

Gee-wiz, when do we get that?
You aren't going to get it in church or from listening to right-wing talk radio. There is Google however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies