U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 AM

1,298 posts, read 439,344 times

Advertisements

Florida is low and on limestone. The seawater goes through the ground and reaches the freshwater sources deep inland. Long before the land is permanently flooded, it will be unlivable due to lack of drinking water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 02:31 PM

20,257 posts, read 14,422,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Is it something that sits in the back of your mind or are you thinking of making plans to move inland in the future?
You have way too much time on your hands.

Look, this is not rocket science.

Sea level rise will be so slow as to be totally imperceptible.

What might be perceptible is the amount of flood damage.

As costs increase, insurance companies will either raise rates or cease to insure properties in affected census tracts, or zip codes or entire communities.

When insurance companies stop writing policies, that brings to an abrupt halt to all new development and all redevelopment of existing properties.

If -- as a homeowner, any business or property owner -- you cannot afford the insurance and drop it, your mortgage lender is legally allowed to purchase insurance for you. They'll just tack the cost onto your mortgage, so you're going to pay for insurance whether you like it or not.

If you don't like it, you're free to sell your property. You might lose your shirt on the deal, but sucks to be you.

Aside from that, it's a non-event.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM

16,835 posts, read 14,254,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Is it something that sits in the back of your mind or are you thinking of making plans to move inland in the future?
I live about a mile and a half from the ocean. My mother’s home is water front, it will likely be left to me and I have no intention of keeping it. Her property backs up to a park, we may donate it to the park with the condition that land be returned to a more natural state.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:37 PM

4,914 posts, read 2,045,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I live in Miami, and no. If it happens, it will be after I'm dead. I think it's just common sense if you want to buy real estate by the ocean you need to prepare yourself for the risk the coastline erodes and damages your property. Most people consider that risk to be worth the award of seeing the ocean everyday.

Or else you may find out as early as Sunday.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,861,758 times
I live near the coast but I'm concerned about climate and the environment as whole and that has very little to do with me living by the coast.
Everyone is affected by climate change, it doesn't matter where you live.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:42 PM

485 posts, read 214,612 times
No, not worried. I've been living 100 steps to get my toes wet in the pacific ocean for over 20 years. Today....it is still 100 steps. The sky is not falling. That is just a story for a lesson.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:46 PM

3,317 posts, read 955,054 times
My back door is probably about 20 ft from the ocean....am I worried?...not at all

...the current rate of sea level rise is about 9 inches a century

Old 08-28-2019, 02:53 PM

1,919 posts, read 3,815,436 times
I lived in Florida for 15 years, first on the east coast then on the west. When I determined about a year and a half ago I needed a new job I purposely looked outside Florida. About a year ago we moved up to Massachusetts for my new job. Still a coastal state, but we purposely bought a home in one of the towns West of Boston (West of I-95) and also got a house on hill to mitigate flood risks. I'm not sure I would have made such a big move based on climate change concerns alone but they absolutely figured in to our decision making once we were moving for other reasons.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:54 PM

5,433 posts, read 1,490,586 times
Nope.

The climate's been changing for as long as Earth has had an atmosphere. Nothing man can do about it.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:58 PM

23,987 posts, read 12,610,497 times
I live in a coastal town.
I live high enough up that when we had the 1 in 1000 flood that shut down the area, we stayed dry....but......

The frequency of flooding from tides -- NOT just rain is growing.

That is water coming in from the ocean...high tides...King tides......seem to be more frequent. Could be my imagination.

I support policies that protect the environment - -not because of global warming -- just because I like the idea of looking after this planet.

so if we can stop using plastic bags, straws, etc.....let's do it. Somehow society managed without these things for years.

Let's Make America Great Again and reduce the use of one time use plastics....maybe that's what Trump meant all along -- lolol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or