U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 03:00 PM

9,628 posts, read 2,926,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Florida is low and on limestone. The seawater goes through the ground and reaches the freshwater sources deep inland. Long before the land is permanently flooded, it will be unlivable due to lack of drinking water.
We worried about the aquifers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 03:03 PM

30,586 posts, read 15,812,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I live in a coastal town.
I live high enough up that when we had the 1 in 1000 flood that shut down the area, we stayed dry....but......

The frequency of flooding from tides -- NOT just rain is growing.

That is water coming in from the ocean...high tides...King tides......seem to be more frequent. Could be my imagination.

I support policies that protect the environment - -not because of global warming -- just because I like the idea of looking after this planet.

so if we can stop using plastic bags, straws, etc.....let's do it. Somehow society managed without these things for years.

Let's Make America Great Again and reduce the use of one time use plastics....maybe that's what Trump meant all along -- lolol.
Actual pollution gets hardly any press anymore; everything is climate change now with wealth transfer being the goal.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:22 PM

22,752 posts, read 9,695,892 times
Why just coastal cities? I'm in S. FL, less than a mile from the ocean, and have experienced zero flooding.

Flooding was bad in many places across the country this year. In fact, I'm pretty sure there has been more flooding in the midwest than in 'coastal cities,' though Miami, has of course, been flooding for decades. That's what climate change is about--it does not discriminate.

"...The Lower Mississippi Valley remains in a flood crisis as high water continues to swamp streets, homes, businesses, sewage and water treatment plants, and farm fields, including across some of the poorest counties in the United States..."

"As a Mississippi River mayor, I can say this event has been a long, hard fight for us, and we likely have many more months," Greenville, Miss., Mayor Errick Simmons said yesterday on a conference call with fellow river city mayors and reporters..."

"Our flooding has been over 100 days. We have an increasingly severe homelessness situation. ... Hopes have been completely destroyed," he said. "With 38.5 inches of rain, our poor folks get hit the hardest."...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-flood-crisis/

https://www.wired.com/story/for-the-...limate-change/

Old 08-28-2019, 03:30 PM

19,005 posts, read 9,259,440 times
No. My family has had shore property since 1947. The water has actually receded over the years.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:51 PM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 26 days ago)

18,640 posts, read 8,433,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Have you heard of subsidence?

Additionally, ocean levels have been changing since well before the dinosaurs. There is a cave off the French coast, Cosquer Cave, that has prehistoric human art in it.

It's located 121 feet below the ocean's surface.
And it's below the ocean surface because of global warming.

Just a thought.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:54 PM

5,023 posts, read 2,253,994 times
I just moved from 12 foot above sea level to 1200 foot. Just in case.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actual pollution gets hardly any press anymore; everything is climate change now with wealth transfer being the goal.
I'm reading about places all over the country trying to mitigate the effects of climate change. I'm yet to read about this being a big wealth transfer.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 26 days ago)

18,640 posts, read 8,433,758 times
I live in the Puget Sound area. Before that, I lived in Oregon. I absolutely love the ocean, and never want to be far from it. Nevertheless, I'd never live right on the beach or on an erodible sea cliff, I look for places away from the beach that are 50 feet or higher above sea level. Tsuanamis and and storm surges are the main reasons. I do expect them to become worse than they are now, though, due to ocean level rise.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:58 PM

1,375 posts, read 291,607 times
The sea level rise from climate change is likely to take several decades to fully manifest. We can enjoy the beach until then, with the expectation that our grandkids might not.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The sea level rise from climate change is likely to take several decades to fully manifest. We can enjoy the beach until then, with the expectation that our grandkids might not.
It's not just sea level rise, although that's an issue. It's the flood tides and other issues as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or