U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,489,686 times

Advertisements

Is it something that sits in the back of your mind or are you thinking of making plans to move inland in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:57 PM

67,154 posts, read 30,776,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Is it something that sits in the back of your mind or are you thinking of making plans to move inland in the future?
Ask Obama. He just bought a $15 million oceanfront property. On an island (Martha's Vineyard), no less.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 PM

447 posts, read 143,793 times
Nope and judging by housing prices, neither is anyone else.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:14 PM

427 posts, read 54,612 times
I live in Miami, and no. If it happens, it will be after I'm dead. I think it's just common sense if you want to buy real estate by the ocean you need to prepare yourself for the risk the coastline erodes and damages your property. Most people consider that risk to be worth the award of seeing the ocean everyday.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,130,287 times
..hawaii...the locals will tell you never live close to the coast...nothing to do with climate change...can you say, tsunami?

Old 08-27-2019, 11:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 4,575,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..hawaii...the locals will tell you never live close to the coast...nothing to do with climate change...can you say, tsunami?
I live close enough to the coast as it is. I don't have to worry about a tunami, but hurricanes can cause some wicked ish even tis far inland. (See also Hurricane Hugo)

Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 PM

8,008 posts, read 12,459,172 times
I'm originally from the New Orleans area and live closer to Baton Rouge now. One of the reasons I won't live in New Orleans again, along with crime and traffic and overcrowding, is indeed the flooding risk. The house I grew up in flooded during Katrina though I wasn't living in it anymore. HOWEVER I don't blame global warming for it. That has more to do with development patterns, the levee systems, and pumping systems (which are heavily outdated) and some of the oil infrastructure in the coastal wetlands. Not just NO but many of the suburbs like Metairie and Kenner are below sea level, though the biggest threats seem to come from Lake Pontchartrain.

Sometimes during major hurricanes there's a storm surge from the coast up the Mississippi, but that also has nothing to do with global warming. And I don't believe hurricanes are caused by global warming.

I don't believe in human caused climate change theory, the climate has never been constant throughout history. I also do support our oil and gas industry here in Louisiana though more needs to be done to stop the erosion of coastal wetlands for flood protection purposes. But any flooding concerns I have in Louisiana has nothing to do with Al Gore style global warming theory.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:36 PM

20,194 posts, read 19,190,304 times
I moved away from the ocean due to annual floods. Every year we'd have the 100 year flood. Also the ocean water was warming up and we were starting to get sharks. I don't know the cause but houses falling into the sea were becoming more common and bringing in truckloads of sand doesn't help for very long.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:36 PM

8,008 posts, read 12,459,172 times
People in other parts of the country love to point out Louisiana's flooding risk but the same is true up north. In fact look at New York City and Atlantic City during Sandy. Wasn't the NYC subway closed for weeks and totally waterlogged? I understand large parts of the Jersey Shore including Atlantic City were also submerged and that AC is also sinking and may not exist in 50 years based on global warming acolytes. Which means Manhattan will also be underwater?

Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 3,979,963 times
I live within walking distance of the beach... I am not worried in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or