Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:07 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You should read Thomas Sowell’s Black Rednecks and White Liberals. Sowell places much of the blame for the problems in urban black America on Southern Culture.
And the blame of Southern Culture is that it was long, very bi-racial.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:10 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ok.......so any race residing in western civilization should be able to flourish equally, regardless of their color.....since its not about races being superior....but rather cultures. Keep in mind that culture is LEARNED. Thus, anyone allowed to have full exposure should be able to learn it, regardless of color. Yet, blacks are doing worse in America than whites. Please explain....given the 300 plus years we have been in these lands is ample time to emulate the culture......maybe we only were able to emulate what white people were showing us.....violence, calling us the N word, separating our families, the devaluing of black life...etc. That is how white society was interacting with blacks for centuries.....and that is the culture we learned from whites.
I agree with you on your general point here. If you see my unrelated post further up in the stream, yes African Americans have gotten a raw deal over and over at the hands of the Democrats. From slavery to Jim Crow and abusive racism, unfair treatment in housing, the work-place, denial of education, etc, black people have not been given an equal chance.

I also do hold that in a 'new' country such as the United States, that anyone should be able to emulate the dominant culture and succeed. Not only is it poor urban blacks who fail, but also other people who do not subscribe to the mainstream culture. Look at whites living in Appalachia - that area is pitiful as well.

Both of these areas, along with other areas of the country where mainstream culture has not permeated also lack developed infrastructure, whether that be actual physical infrastructure or engrained economic issues. In many long-time Democrat-controlled areas, for example, there simply are no jobs because the policies instituted have driven jobs away. This, along with engrained bigotry is equally responsible for the plight of many underclass African Americans.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Quote:
In many long-time Democrat-controlled areas, for example, there simply are no jobs because the policies instituted have driven jobs away.

Bingo. Keep them down to control them. Pavlov would be proud.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I agree with you on your general point here. If you see my unrelated post further up in the stream, yes African Americans have gotten a raw deal over and over at the hands of the Democrats. From slavery to Jim Crow and abusive racism, unfair treatment in housing, the work-place, denial of education, etc, black people have not been given an equal chance.

I also do hold that in a 'new' country such as the United States, that anyone should be able to emulate the dominant culture and succeed. Not only is it poor urban blacks who fail, but also other people who do not subscribe to the mainstream culture. Look at whites living in Appalachia - that area is pitiful as well.

Both of these areas, along with other areas of the country where mainstream culture has not permeated also lack developed infrastructure, whether that be actual physical infrastructure or engrained economic issues. In many long-time Democrat-controlled areas, for example, there simply are no jobs because the policies instituted have driven jobs away. This, along with engrained bigotry is equally responsible for the plight of many underclass African Americans.

No, no, no....does not have a dam thing to do with political parties. Blacks got a raw deal because of white racism. The main people saying blacks have a victim mentality and that liberals make them feel they are victims.....are now saying that blacks are VICTIMS of liberalism. Blacks can't argue that white racism has impacted them negatively without being called, disparagingly, victims. But you can say how blacks are negatively impacted by liberalism and how they are the VICTIMS of that.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM

127 posts, read 101,254 times
Reparations for slavery? I agree. We need to compensate Black people for what we did to them. One way airfare back to the African nation of their choice. Problem solved.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No, no, no....does not have a dam thing to do with political parties. Blacks got a raw deal because of white racism.
Everything is political and the issue I addressed is the long history of racism in the Democrat party, which btw, continues overtly up to this day, with the belief that brown people are needed to do jobs that 'we' won't do or to keep our stuff cheap.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:18 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
No, no, no....does not have a dam thing to do with political parties. Blacks got a raw deal because of white racism. The main people saying blacks have a victim mentality and that liberals make them feel they are victims.....are now saying that blacks are VICTIMS of liberalism. Blacks can't argue that white racism has impacted them negatively without being called, disparagingly, victims. But you can say how blacks are negatively impacted by liberalism and how they are the VICTIMS of that.
Sorry.

Democrats want to keep them dependent upon handouts as a permanent underclass and as a reliable voting block.

It's a modern day plantation.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
What you call "white racism" is mostly a reaction to having white culture altered by a different and incompatible culture. There were always blacks that fit in well and succeeded in white culture, just not so many.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I'd also like to add that I agree with you that white racism has played a major role in the country, but I also think we have come a long, long way in overcoming that and have made some sacrifices as a nation in order to attempt to remedy that.

That said, I'm sorry that blacks and other minorities have suffered, but in reality, I'm not willing to alter the dominant culture of this country. We need to do a better job of integrating all people of all races and backgrounds, native-born, legal immigrant, whatever into mainstream American culture, as that gives all people the best possible chance of success.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I'd also like to add that I agree with you that white racism has played a major role in the country, but I also think we have come a long, long way in overcoming that and have made some sacrifices as a nation in order to attempt to remedy that.

That said, I'm sorry that blacks and other minorities have suffered, but in reality, I'm not willing to alter the dominant culture of this country. We need to do a better job of integrating all people of all races and backgrounds, native-born, legal immigrant, whatever into mainstream American culture, as that gives all people the best possible chance of success.
In a rare case I sort of disagree. Non-whites need to do a better job of integrating themselves into American culture and stop attacking, blaming and altering it, or they can leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies