Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 03:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Few questions -- isn't that part of the appeal for some -- the fact that the system is hooked up to security and then police?

Are we saying that they can access the system without owner approval?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Short of a subpoena, the cops only have access if it is granted by the homeowner. That's in the Ring agreement and it's even says that in the article. If they got it otherwise it might be grounds for a lawsuit and it would be inadmissible. Cops have been trying to give away free or reduced price Ring devices in some jurisdictions in return for pre-approved access to their devices in the neighborhood app. Amazon supposedly put a stop to that.

I have multiple Ring devices as does just about every house within two miles of me. Personally, I don't participate in the Neighbors app. I like it when the dog barks to tell Alexa to put up this cam or that on the big screen. It gives me the chance to **** and load before they break down the door.
That's the story for the public.

It's 100% false.

I'm just a guy on the internet though.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A neighbor asked me to download an iphone app - Neighbors by Ring - to get my opinion about whether or not she should get a camera. Oh, my God - people are nuts. Video after video of 'this guy rang my bell - does anyone know who he is?' 'Why was this woman at my door?' 'This kid cut across my lawn but then went out of camera range. Did anyone else see him or pick him up on theirs?' 'Look at this adorable little guy my camera caught last night' - it's a racoon.

I told my neighbor, who was considering a Ring doorbell, to go to ebay and get an ADT sign and put that on her front lawn instead. I didn't even know Ring was part of Amazon at the time or I would have been more critical of it, without even knowing what's going on behind the scenes.

And anyone who owns an echo or any other such device is out of their damn minds.
If your "security system" involves wifi, the internet, or an app you're as exposed as newborn baby's backside.

One of my employees will happily hack, alter, and/or expose your personal info in less than 15 minutes.

You should see the looks on the faces of clients.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's the story for the public.

It's 100% false.

I'm just a guy on the internet though.
You better believe that. If there is a way, it will be done. And, note, Amazon can just turn over your records to the police without getting your permission (as long as they aren't acting as agents of the police) and the records/footage would be admissible in a court of law. This is a big reason why I have a problem with Amazon having access to the feed/files at a basic level.

Now, generally speaking (and separately from this), there are ways to protect yourself against exploitation, to include having strong passwords and making sure that malware isn't downloaded onto your network/device, either remotely or via the internet or someone physically hacking your phone. There will always be ways, but the average criminal won't be getting your crap if you take basic, commonsense precautions.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Fedgov has backdoors/access to all of those things you think they don't......Ring, TOR, PGP, VPN logs, on and on and on.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:56 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Since the forum is anonymous...
Really? Then you must have the means to hide your IP address, which you may in the industry you say you are in. However, is it really fool proof?

Quote:
I've been in loss prevention/private security for about 25 years. I'm currently the owner of a consulting firm in those sectors. We are based in Southern California but will do forums/conferences/trade shows via video around the country.

We once had a partnership with Ring prior to them adjusting their business model to work with police departments. I personally ended the relationship, will never recommend associating with them in any form, and suggest running as fast away as you can with anyone who does do business with them.

That's all I have to say about what is going on in regards to the OP's inquiry.

Make of it what you will.
I believe that, plus we are video'd from home to work, and everywhere it seems today.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
If your "security system" involves wifi, the internet, or an app you're as exposed as newborn baby's backside.

One of my employees will happily hack, alter, and/or expose your personal info in less than 15 minutes.

You should see the looks on the faces of clients.
Oh yeah. I don't have a security system. Anything of value to me has either died or they're living on their own, so burglars can take whatever they like. Having the few devices I need that are invasive is bad enough.

Most people don't realize that their smart tv's can be hacked and used as a surveillance camera in their home.

And speaking of baby's backsides, I'm sure baby monitors put people at risk, as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the government isn't already recording us as normal procedure.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Really? Then you must have the means to hide your IP address, which you may in the industry you say you are in. However, is it really fool proof?
I can hide it as best as humanly possible. Is it 100% safe? Absolutely not. And let me build on this response by addressing this quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Fedgov has backdoors/access to all of those things you think they don't......Ring, TOR, PGP, VPN logs, on and on and on.
Correct.

The best a private enterprise can do is be able to hide it from other private folks who want to do harm. And we can do an amazing job of that but if Fedguv wants our info (and now I'm paraphrasing our old cyber expert who started his own business but prior to that worked for Fedguv)...

"It's as easy as 30 keystrokes or less".

I'm not overly concerned with it though, personally speaking. Between with what I post here (I manage to squeeze in anti-government rhetoric in 99.9% of my posts, thank you) and what I've publicly done in my business if they perceived me as a threat they would have suicided me by now. On that note it's kind of disappointing I'm not on the radar. I'd wear it as a badge of honor.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You better believe that. If there is a way, it will be done. And, note, Amazon can just turn over your records to the police without getting your permission (as long as they aren't acting as agents of the police) and the records/footage would be admissible in a court of law. This is a big reason why I have a problem with Amazon having access to the feed/files at a basic level.

Now, generally speaking (and separately from this), there are ways to protect yourself against exploitation, to include having strong passwords and making sure that malware isn't downloaded onto your network/device, either remotely or via the internet or someone physically hacking your phone. There will always be ways, but the average criminal won't be getting your crap if you take basic, commonsense precautions.
Security layering is key whether you're talking about cyber, brick & mortar, or home.

That's all loss prevention and private security is in a nutshell: budgeting time, money, and inconvenience into your system to reduce the statistical chance of being victimized.

Technically, you're suppose to change your passwords after every login. And that's our official stance on the matter. Do we think people are actually going to do that? No, we know they won't. So you use strategy around it.

It's true, folks. Criminals, even the most motivated and smartest ones, will nearly always go for the easiest targets even if they aren't believed to bear the most fruit.

On the Amazon/Ring situation...

I can't stress this enough. If your cameras are connected to the internet via wifi, app, whatever you've so greatly reduced your security it's laughable. Think about it this way: you can opt in or out of being "connected" to the police. That means you're in. I mean, Jesus folks. Didn't anyone ever see War Games? Hell, that was 35 years ago and they were already talking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYQ4qUEfEI

Old 08-28-2019, 08:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
This should surprise no one.

Social media and the internet of things has essentially laid a blue print for a modern day techno dictatorship akin to 1984 big brother. It will just take the right circumstances and a strong handed person, cabal or organization to fulfill the nightmare. All the infrastructure has been created already.

We have always been at war with Oceania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies