U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 AM

28,979 posts, read 15,714,541 times

Advertisements

Here's the background.

Right-To-Try Legislation Helps Patient Battling Bone Cancer

Millennial Natalie Harp has battled stage two bone cancer for most of her life. To make matters worse, a medical error made in 2015 while receiving treatment left her wheelchair-bound and in constant pain. There was no known cure for her condition, and her quality of life was in quick decline.

Natalie was quickly running out of treatment options. Two rounds of chemotherapy failed to eradicate her cancer. Opioids, medical marijuana, and barbiturates were unable to relieve her pain. She was denied entry into numerous clinical trials. As her condition worsened, Natalie was also advised to consider voluntarily stopping all eating and drinking (a method commonly shorted to VSED).

Courageously, she refused, insisting, “No, I just want to get better.” Miraculously, she did.

After receiving access to experimental treatments through right-to-try legislation, Natalie’s condition improved substantially. In her own words, “I’m walking. I am healthy. I am living the quality of life that I always wanted.” She continued, “I’m not dying from cancer any more thanks to President Trump, I’m living with cancer.”

Here she is speaking recently. It's the first couple of minutes of the video.

Trump gave credit to Republicans and some Democrats for passing the bill.

But understand - amidst all of the noise out there - for those of you wondering why Trump gets the support he does, it's because of stuff like this. He could have done nothing and let the status quo persist, and she probably would have died because the government didn't want to give hear a choice in trying experimental drugs. Why? Because the drug companies are in their pockets - and they didn't want to be sued, and they didn't want a black mark on their record on the chance that their drug was unsuccessful. But they gave her opioids... surprise, surprise...

Trump suggested a waiver form to protect against lawsuits, and a special category for experimental drugs to protect the drug companies. That's it.

Those against "right to try" called it a false hope. They were wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 12:13 AM

For extra credit...

Democrats Are Anti-Choice

In 2017 Congress passed Right to Try Act, which gives patients, and their doctors, the right to try drugs that have passed FDA Phase 1 trials. Two years later one of the patients who benefited from it, Natalie Harp, details her story in an excellent op-ed. She credits the law with saving her life. There are further hundreds of cases where the law has saved lives.

The moral argument for a woman’s right to choose in matters of abortion is simple, and in my opinion apropos: my body my choice, i.e. body-autonomy.

But the concept of body-autonomy surely cannot start and end at the abortion issue. But if you’re a typical Democrat, it does. The same party that screeches about a woman’s reproductive freedom, apparently thinks a woman (and man), and their doctor, should have no freedom in trying experimental drugs, because had Democrats controlled the House in 2017, the Right to Try Bill would not have passed. Apparently it’s not my body my choice in this case. Instead they punted on a straw-man: patient safety. Imagine the parallel, imagine the liberal uproar if conservatives said a woman must get approval for safety reasons from a government agency, before she can get an abortion.

The difference between who controls Congress matters.

------------------

Further research on the politics from WaPo from May 2018...

The Health 202: How Democrats got a version of 'right to try' they like even less

Consider this argument against the legislation...

“The key is we need to ensure there are safety mechanisms in place when we do this,” Schumer said. “A significant part of that is making sure the FDA is part of the process.”

Safety mechanisms??... apparently suggesting that Ms. Harp die by voluntarily stopping her eating and drinking is approved by the FDA. Did they run that through Schumer?

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-30-2019 at 12:27 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 12:20 AM

3,389 posts, read 1,353,077 times
Sweet! Great posts OP!

Old 08-30-2019, 01:53 AM

23,639 posts, read 11,714,243 times
This is the bill that allows people to buy/sell unpasteurized milk( and more)

Lets not pretend this was about drugs because the FDA already allowed people the "right to try" as did about 30 states at the time before the law was passed.

Post like this are why there is no real conversation in this country, people forget context or pretend they dont understand the full scope.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is the bill that allows people to buy/sell unpasteurized milk( and more)

Lets not pretend this was about drugs because the FDA already allowed people the "right to try" as did about 30 states at the time before the law was passed.

Post like this are why there is no real conversation in this country, people forget context or pretend they dont understand the full scope.
"No real conversation"...

I'm up for it. What's the full scope that's no negative?

So far according to the one article above - it seems as though hundred of lives have been positively affected.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:18 AM

1,230 posts, read 220,185 times
Florida had the statute in place already. Was initially thought of as a state issue.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 AM

47,032 posts, read 34,547,540 times
Prior to this legislation 99% of “requests to try” were promptly approved by the FDA.

The legislation simply eliminates some red tape. Outcomes have no impact on trials.

What the legislation does not do is mandate private and public insurers to pay for it.

Not everyone has access to facilities that have access to drugs that have passed only phase 1 clinical trials and not everyone can afford treatment.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:31 AM

47,032 posts, read 34,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Florida had the statute in place already. Was initially thought of as a state issue.
Many states had similar legislation. It was however in conflict with federal law, like the legal marijuana thing.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Prior to this legislation 99% of “requests to try” were promptly approved by the FDA.

The legislation simply eliminates some red tape. Outcomes have no impact on trials.

What the legislation does not do is mandate private and public insurers to pay for it.

Not everyone has access to facilities that have access to drugs that have passed only phase 1 clinical trials and not everyone can afford treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many states had similar legislation. It was however in conflict with federal law, like the legal marijuana thing.
Apparently, the roadblocks kept arising, and the desire for this to become federal law was increasing.

Congress Approves Bill Giving Patients a ‘Right to Try’ Experimental Drugs

Several former commissioners of the F.D.A. and some clinical experts at the agency said that the bill was unnecessary because patients with a serious illness could already obtain experimental medicines through a program known as expanded access or compassionate use.

The agency says it approves 99 percent of the requests it receives under this program, but in some cases, it recommends changes to protect patients before allowing the treatment to proceed.

Mr. Burgess said consumers had gained access in recent years to many innovative treatments. But, he said, “We continue to hear from patients with serious life-threatening conditions who remain frustrated with what they see as regulatory barriers to trying new therapies when everything else has failed them.”

Old 08-30-2019, 09:05 AM

9,632 posts, read 2,931,336 times
I'm so happy for this young girl. I think anyone who has a devastating terminal illness should be able to pull out all the stops and try anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies