Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:34 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Are you reading him correctly? I know of no one that supports abortion up until the moment of birth unless in case of severe abnormalities that will cause the child to live a short life knowing nothing but pain. Even in the latter scenario, most people acknowledge it is a human being and a sad tragedy. If you are accurately stating his viewpoint he is an extremist.
Planned Parenthood disagrees with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 06:42 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
They are not the party of science. They even want to kill babies after they are born. They don’t believe a person born with a Y chromosome and male genitalia is in fact male.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times
I believe that the principle that the government should have no say in reproduction, that individuals have a right to privacy of their own bodies - is more important than the life of an individual fetus.

Just like the pro gun lobby believes that the right to keep and bear arm is more important than the life of an individual gunshot victim.

Just like anyone who believes in due process places that principle above the individual lives of potential future victims if a guilt person goes free because their due process rights were violated.

Just like anyone who supported the Civil War or World War II believed that the principles fought for in those conflicts were more important that the lives of individual soldiers.

Principles have a price.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:38 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Abortion should be encouraged and inexpensive in the first trimester, discouraged and expensive in the second, and prohibited except for special circumstances in the third.
Why?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:41 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I believe that the principle that the government should have no say in reproduction, that individuals have a right to privacy of their own bodies - is more important than the life of an individual fetus.

Just like the pro gun lobby believes that the right to keep and bear arm is more important than the life of an individual gunshot victim.

Just like anyone who believes in due process places that principle above the individual lives of potential future victims if a guilt person goes free because their due process rights were violated.

Just like anyone who supported the Civil War or World War II believed that the principles fought for in those conflicts were more important that the lives of individual soldiers.

Principles have a price.

What does "their own bodies" have to do with a developing fetus that has its own unique DNA and is, therefore, a unique individual?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Abortion is a conundrum. There is no easy answer.

However, I am dismayed by a good many of honest and smart people. I tend to agree with the Democrats more on most issues....I think. However, I think many Democrats are wrong on some of the abortions issues.

I once saw a video of an abortion and I threw up.......I'll never forget it. Life is a miracle....and an innocent life ought not to experience that.

Pro-Life seems like a consistent position for liberals.

I support a stronger social safety net....because I am Pro-Life.

I oppose capital punishment....because I am Pro-Life.

I support green energy policies...because I am Pro-Life.

I am a vegetarian...because I am Pro-Life.

AND.....I can't support late-term abortions...because I am Pro-Life.

You are a traditional Liberal. You are also a dying breed.

The original premise of Roe v Wade was to save the lives women. The term "rare" is actually in the verbiage. It was never intended to be on demandand if those judges knew what would happen, abused the way it has been with 60M births wiped out, they would have never passed it.

Todays "Liberal" isn't traditional a bit, having abandoned all of the (once solid as a rock) beliefs they used to hold. Liberal is just a word now. Traditional Conservatives went through the same thing in the 90s/00s. The party is just now rediscovering itself. Hopefully, the days of the RINO is gone. Hopefully, the DINOs will soon be extinct as the bluebloods take their party back.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
It certainly is a complex question. I know how I would rule on it if I were Emperor, but I don't know if it's 'right" or not.

A few observations &/or facts:

- among non-mammalian animals, often the female expels oocytes into the water and the nearby male squirts out some sperm. The new little life starts when the two combine. Is that also true for mammals, whose offspring generally are not independently viable until birth?

-MotherNature tries to keep the species healthy by prohibiting the birth of imperfect fetus(es) [Note: fetus is a 4th declension Latin noun. Plural of fetus is really fetus.] It is estimated that 25% of human conceptions result in spontaneous abortion (miscarriage, usually very early-- "Gee, my period was two weeks late and I just spotted a little. How strange!) God must approve of abortion when things aren't perfect. --->

-What's "perfect?" In Nature, it usually refers to physical attributes (good health) that allow competitive survival. For humans, maybe we need to include psychological &/or economic "good health." ...Remember the SuperBowl commercial a few yr ago featuring the almost good enough to be a professional quarterback, Tim Tebow? He professed that his mother could have had an abortion, but didn't; "She wanted me and look how good I turned out!"...I couldn't help but think a good counter-argument would be for the camera to pan across the tiers of Cook County Jail and the announcer to say-- "Most of these guys were the result of unwanted pregnancies."

-re: fetus "feeling pain." Pain is a reflex arc. Any worm will "feel pain" when presented with a warm dry spot. It will reflexly move away to a cool, wet spot. It feels "pain." It does not suffer.

- an argument against abortion is that any fertilized egg is a "potential human being." Are we to prosecute any woman who goes unfertilized and menstruates? Every oocyte is a "potential human being." And what about the 10,000,000 sperm in each ejaculation? Pretty flimsy argument against abortion.

-In a perfect world, all pregnancies would be wanted.... But the world ain't perfect. If a woman is not impeded by a religion, we should allow her to accomplish her goal in as safe and clean an environment as possible. There's plenty of studies confirming that medical abortion during the 1st trimester is safe and effective and leaves very few serious physical or emotional scares on the woman....That can't be said for woman who give birth but then give the baby up for adoption-- very high rate of psychiatric trauma.

-an observation on politics: The GOP favors free use of guns, but not of abortion. It's the opposite for Dems. Apparently the Republicans think it's OK to kill people but not babies, while the Dems think it's OK to kill babies but not people.

I'm glad I cleared that all up for everyone

Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What does "their own bodies" have to do with a developing fetus that has its own unique DNA and is, therefore, a unique individual?
How does a developing fetus develop in it is not in a womans body, attached to her depending on her body to provide nutrients, oxygen, and waste removal?

No person has the right to use another persons body to keep them alive.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
It’s important to politicians (from both sides) that abortion stays on the menu, it keeps the masses fighting each other and therefore easier to manipulate.

We could all but eliminate abortion in this country without changing any laws, but that would involve making contraception and education readily available to the poor, the indigent and the addicted. It would cost pennies on the dollar when compared to having the state raise unwanted children who are likely to end up in the prison system anyway.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Your concern rings hollow when the FACTS of late term abortions are put into play. FACTS you prefer to ignore.

They are rare and only done in extreme circumstances.

It is deceptive to imply otherwise and a disservice to the women and doctors involved when heartbreaking decisions have to be made........decisions that strangers have no right to intrude upon.
Right. The statistics for them are very small. A few %, most likely due to health reasons of the woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies