Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 04:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,648,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
How is that not criticizing policy?

How do you feel about the First Amendment?
So you say that 1A forbids to call somebody an antisemite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 04:51 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,990,045 times
Quote:
How is that not criticizing policy?
What is the policy being criticized? As far as I can tell, there is none. There is, of course, the ever-present trope of Jews as greedy money-grubbers.

Quote:
How do you feel about the First Amendment?
I support the 1st amendment just fine. When a US politician hooks up with an org that publishes anti-Semitic garbage, I have the 1st amendment right to call her on it. I never said that congress should interfere with said publication.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,447,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
NO ONE gets to set the rules on how or when we can criticize Israel. Period. They are the worlds biggest terrorist and CONSTANTLY attack other nations unprovoked and commit war crimes on an almost daily basis. The criticism is warranted.
Except you seem to be making the claim that criticizing Israel is NEVER antisemitic, or driven by antisemitism, or intended to provoke antisemitism. Here, I'll make it clear for you:

1) Not antisemitic: The current government is too aggressive with their settlement policy.
2) Antisemitic: These Jews think they can run roughshod over everyone.
3) Antisemitic: Making exaggerated and untrue claims, such as calling Israel "the world's biggest terrorist"

A BIG clue that antisemitism is involved is when the Israel-critic starts mocking Jews as "G-d's chosen people," starts talking about greedy Jews who think they can buy off Congress, focuses 100% attention on what the Jews do wrong without a word of criticism for the other side, applies double standards when Jews are involved, and/or starts quoting Old Testament verses to show how awful the Jews are. I've seen all of this right here in this forum.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:12 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,061,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
What is the policy being criticized? As far as I can tell, there is none. There is, of course, the ever-present trope of Jews as greedy money-grubbers.

I support the 1st amendment just fine. When a US politician hooks up with an org that publishes anti-Semitic garbage, I have the 1st amendment right to call her on it. I never said that congress should interfere with said publication.
I'm not defending Ilhan Omar, and I don't know what's in her heart, but her criticism was about the fact that GOP support for Israel is fueled by campaign donations.

This thread is not about her, though.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:21 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,409,835 times
Israel wants to broker the best deal for their Nation............just like every other sane nation out there does.

So criticize away, it really won't change anything.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:33 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,990,045 times
Quote:
I'm not defending Ilhan Omar, and I don't know what's in her heart, but her criticism was about the fact that GOP support for Israel is fueled by campaign donations.

This thread is not about her, though.

That still is not an Israeli policy, though. If anything it would be about US campaign finance law. Not only that but it was a stupid statement. US support for Israel has little to do with money and everything to do with geopolitics. And the fact that Americans (in particular Harry Truman) played a large role in the creation of modern Israel in 1948.

IIRC she deleted that particular tweet and even felt compelled to apologize for it.

I understand the thread is not about her, but she is an example of those who cry that criticism of Israeli policy is not anti-Semitism, yet almost never actually criticize Israeli policy.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:52 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,469,975 times
Quote:
Interesting perspective from this Jewish comedian/vlogger Cody Johnston ("Some More News").

https://youtu.be/w6YD0n5z-MI

It's almost 26 minutes long, but very informative and funny.

(Spoiler: criticizing Israel doesn't make you an anti-semite, and supporting Israel doesn't necessarily mean that you are NOT an anti-semite.)
Israeli Jews and political leaders criticize Israel, as do American Jews and non-Jews in and out of government and are never called anti-Semitic. This notion that accusations of anti-Semitism are tossed around ever time Israel is criticized is bs.

Yes, you will find individual Jews who are more sensitive than others, but in general, disagreement with policy does not result in accusations.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 PM

108 posts, read 41,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Are you American? Because if you do, you should talk first about the war crimes that YOUR country is doing and did in the past. In all the 70 years of Israel existence died fewer people than in one month in Vietnam.
The US hasn't been in a good or just war since the war of 1812. I to this day COMPLETLEY disagree with US foreign policy.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,089,967 times
As a non-religious liberal, I don't get the particularly heavy criticism of Israel. Sure, I disagree with certain approaches taken, but same goes for most countries I can think of.

My only complaint is how the US wastes money on other countries, including but certainly not limited to Israel.

Frankly, if there's no way to peacefully share the land permanently, then my support would likely be stronger for Israel than Palestine due to them actually valuing human rights internally (gender equality, LGBT protections, universal healthcare, etc).

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 09-01-2019 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 06:27 PM

15,641 posts, read 7,489,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
G_d gave me Missouri.

But my neighbors don't like it, or me.

So, in order to protect myself I also need Illinois,Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa.

Anybody who disagrees is an antisemite.
I didn't protect myself, but decided to play along to get along and opened my boarders to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies