Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 07:09 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Thats not the common sense approach, its the unconstitutional approach. Are you guys all about the constitution or is that only to keep your guns?
Because the real common sense approach is to get rid of the guns, not to violate innocent peoples rights because theyre in the wrong area.
Stop and frisk is perfectly constitutional. So says the Supreme Court. All you need is reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed or is being committed for a stop (easy to justify often). For frisks, you need a bit more, but its also not a high threshold.

Getting rid of guns would solve the problem. However, we're not going to get rid of guns even if you passed a law tomorrow mandating gun confiscation. All this would do is ensure that law abiding citizens didn't have guns. The bad guys wouldn't turn theirs in and they'd have a near endless supply to work with, to include robbing and killing at will. I'll pass on that disaster waiting to happen Its a pipe dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 07:10 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You seem to be intent on taking the focus off of TX. The suburbs of Chicago aren't Chicago and don't have that crime, no matter how close we are.

Surely those in East Chicago can watch the nightly news from Chicago on TV.

Surely the nightly TV news in Chicago covers the number of shooting victims every day.

Surely the shooting victims on any given weekend in Chicago exceeds the number of victims in today's shooting episodes in Texas.

3,100 posts, read 3,300,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
East Chicago is a separate city from Chicago.

It's actually known in criminal justice circles for drastically reducing its high crime rate over the last few years...including homicides. I was "at" a cyber conference where a city official talked up proactive police measures for the reduction. Not sure about that as I wasn't paying too much attention but I remember it.
That's what I was saying, I live in Indiana. We're basically like East St. Louis, not the city itself. But even then Chicago is always the go to for these people, it's almost satire at this point.

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Texas still has a higher rate of gun deaths than Illinois.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...aths-by-state/
What's the state of Texas vs city of Chicago?

Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Surely those in East Chicago can watch the nightly news from Chicago on TV.

Surely the nightly TV news in Chicago covers the number of shooting victims every day.

Surely the shooting victims on any given weekend in Chicago exceeds the number of victims in today's shooting episodes in Texas.
So when statistics don't prove the point, change the measure? Illinois has a lower rate of gun deaths than Texas. In fact, red states have a much higher rate of gun deaths than blue states. I say, let the red states buy as many guns as they want and check back with them in a few years and see how it worked out for them.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...aths-by-state/

Old 08-31-2019, 07:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Stop & Frisk should be the law of the land nationally. It saves lives, of all races.

Decades back, I was stopped walking in my town, on Sunday night, as kids my age, race, size had vandalized some places. It was racial/demographic profiling, and if I met the cops now, though innocent, I would applaud their efforts.
Not sure how that could have helped in this case. The shooter was stopped by police at which point he shot the trooper and sped away and then tarted his spree killings.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:14 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
That's what I was saying, I live in Indiana. We're basically like East St. Louis, not the city itself. But even then Chicago is always the go to for these people, it's almost satire at this point.
I don't think East St. Louis has tackled its homicide rate like East Chicago has though.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Whether violent crime is down in this country (and it is), I will not accept dozens of innocent people (whether in Chicago or Midland) getting shot and killed regularly as normal. And to the extent that it is, I want to fight for a new normal. Those statistics do little to comfort the dozens of families who are grief-stricken over their loved ones being shot and killed seemingly every couple of weeks in random acts of violence.

Now, I don't agree that most of the gun control proposed by Democrats would do anything to stop the carnage, but that is not to say that we don't have a problem.
If the Democrats got it wrong, what exactly do we do? What do you propose we do to stop the high body counts of a small number of violent acts in America? IMHO, the Democrat platform is the only one that we aren't trying. We have gone the route of the NRA and it don't do ****. The Good Guy with a Gun myth in the past year has proven to be just that, a myth. It is a smokescreen by the NRA to sell so the gun manufacturers (who the NRA REALLY want to protect, not the gun owners and this has been Saud by even members and former members) to say it isn't the gun's fault. I'm sorry 30+ shot is a problem with a gun. It either means a large capacity magazine (high facility clip/banana clip) and/or a bump stock was used. These have no business being legal, even under the second amendment.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What's the state of Texas vs city of Chicago?
If Texas has a higher gun death rate than the entire state of Illinois, it will have a higher death rate than Chicago.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Don't worry, Trump and McConnell got this covered, they said so after El Paso.
Pence just assured us that the administration is determined to make it stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
DO the motives even matter anymore? If it's not one thing it's another. The outcome is the same. I'm afraid we haven't seen anything yet compared to that which is to come. No one is going to feel safe in a public place in America soon. We don't have to live like this, but we will probably choose to.
I don't think they do. Young man - angry for one reason or another - gets his hands on guns- shoots people. What else is there to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies