Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump was opposed to the EC, before the 2016 election. He called it a “ rigged system”. Obviously, he has changed his mind.

If Trump wins the popular vote in 2020 and loses the EC, no doubt he and thus, his base, might be inclined to revisit the topic

Ding! Ding! Ding! Tell her what she's won, Don Pardo!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
….they'd drop this nonsense about getting rid of the Electoral College (ain't gonna happen....red states won't vote for it), and instead focus on eliminating "open primary" states.

Everyone I know who HATES the New Democrat Party (open borders, effectively; Medicaid-for-all; have other people pay off students' loans; blah, blah, blah) and therefore wants Trump to win is voting for Warren in the primary.
I think you're right. Getting rid of the Electoral College would require a Constitutional amendment, which is a very high hurdle. Democrats should not focus on that because it doesn't have a chance.

I didn't know that Republicans were so desperate that they would sink to cross-over voting in the Democratic primaries, but if that's the case, yes, there should not be an open primary.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Texas has an open Primary ... every Texan is allowed to vote in the Primary of their choice, BUT only one Primary. For runoff’s- only those who voted in that Party Primary are allowed to vote in the Runoff.

No Party Registrations- it’s always been like that.
Good luck trying to explain that to people who have always lived in a declare your party affiliation in order to register states.

Been there, done that. Someone thought stamping the voter registration card and record keeping after the vote was registering by party affiliation. Tried to explain that that was the method to keep us form voting in one party primary and the other party run off. I couldn't explain it.

Hope you can.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

I didn't know that Republicans were so desperate that they would sink to cross-over voting in the Democratic primaries, but if that's the case, yes, there should not be an open primary.
OMG, We do it all the time. Years ago, before the Republicans ever had a contested primary in Texas, Republicans always voted in the Democratic primary for the candidate that would be the easiest for the Republican to beat. All of us did it.

This year, I'm not crazy about any person running for POTUS on the D ticket. I'll will vote for whomever wins that primary.

But in the meantime, I'll be voting in the Republican party primary for Walsh, Sanford or Weld.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
.....including the video tape of all the Leftists, even Biden, raising their hands to giving health care to illegals - and thereby encourage more of them to sneak in. It will run in an endless loop.
They already get free healthcare. Harris county Texas has run a maternity hospital since before I was kid, many years ago. Mexicans would show up in labor. The law says you have to treat anybody when they show up in emergency rooms. Cost a ton because they had no pre natal care. Free delivery and an American citizen. It was a win win.

A company that trims trees for the utility companies hires illegals. One fell out of a tree. Harris county provided care for him in hospital for 6 months. And the taxpayer paid to send his paralyzed from the waist down self home to his mom. Not one thin dime was paid by his employer.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Well ... you might be missing the Bills to remove the Electoral College and all the 2020 Leftists Candidates that are in favor it.
*yawn* Every four years someone sponsors a bill to alter or abolish the Electoral College.

Quote:
In Ohio, voters declare their party affiliation simply by requesting a ballot during the biannual primary; voters also can be unaffiliated by requesting an issues-only ballot. If you live in an area where one party dominates, there's often no one to vote for in the primary if you're of the minority party. In the 27 years I lived in Ohio, I requested a Republican ballot several times to vote for a Republican candidate I liked in the primary. Being stuck as a registered Republican for the next two years was a small price to pay in supporting a candidate I wanted to see in office.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
I think you're right. Getting rid of the Electoral College would require a Constitutional amendment, which is a very high hurdle. Democrats should not focus on that because it doesn't have a chance.

The Democrats did it in 2016. They voted for Trump in cross-over voting because they figured he was the only one Hillary could beat. In fact, I wonder if the Democrats made the difference in cross-over states where it was close.

A friend of mine, a liberal, told me she was going to vote for Trump in the primary for the reason I just stated. I suggested that she vote for a moderate Republican, Kasich maybe, so if Hillary loses, at least we wouldn't have Trump. She laughed and said "no way Trump wins," and voted for him. Big oops, huh?

Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
The Democrats did it in 2016. They voted for Trump in cross-over voting because they figured he was the only one Hillary could beat. In fact, I wonder if the Democrats made the difference in cross-over states where it was close.

A friend of mine, a liberal, told me she was going to vote for Trump in the primary for the reason I just stated. I suggested that she vote for a moderate Republican, Kasich maybe, so if Hillary loses, at least we wouldn't have Trump. She laughed and said "no way Trump wins," and voted for him. Big oops, huh?
I had a very Conservative (and idiot) neighbor who did the same thing in 2008. Voted for Obama to attemp to stop Hillary. I never let him forget his stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies