Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I know.
The UK really is struggling as the 5th largest economy in the world ...

" Who would have imagined the UK becoming a place that didn't make decent cars? Yet it did."

And it still makes the odd thing or two here and there,including cars for eight of the eleven teams that compete in Formula One.
Finance pays big. NYC and Wall Street have incredible numbers.

Making fancy multimillion dollar races and luxe cars is big also.

It's like the old UK...for the rich and famous. But that's not going to help that "forgotten man" who Bannon and friends pulled out of their housing project and scared with the Facebook ads.....

Oh, even the financial sector - about 1/2 of it comes and goes to the EU.

AND.....as I am getting at above, economic inequality in the UK is a biggie.

https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/sca...-inequality-uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You clearly haven't been touring many British factories recently.
Did watch that multi-part series on the Trent Jet Engines.....casting tech is right up my alley.

Amazing stuff. But, as you probably know, even a smaller percentage of Brits (compared to US) work in Manufacturing. So they surely can't claim they are big at making stuff (other than loans, insurance and the like) these days.

Heck, even Bentleys and Rolls Royce cars are now other companies, right?

BMW bought RR from VW...wow.

VW still owns Bentley though.

Again, I don't think Joe Fish and Chips is going to be either working at (not high employment) nor using those products.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Did watch that multi-part series on the Trent Jet Engines.....casting tech is right up my alley.

Amazing stuff. But, as you probably know, even a smaller percentage of Brits (compared to US) work in Manufacturing. So they surely can't claim they are big at making stuff (other than loans, insurance and the like) these days.

Heck, even Bentleys and Rolls Royce cars are now other companies, right?

BMW bought RR from VW...wow.

VW still owns Bentley though.

Again, I don't think Joe Fish and Chips is going to be either working at (not high employment) nor using those products.

The UK has created 750,000 jobs since the Brexit referendum.
Unemployment is at its lowest level since 1975.
And seeing as China owns most of the US I'd be wary of making jibes about who owns what.
Or makes what.
I had a stroll around a Walmart in California last week and apart from the alarming number of people with morbid obesity it was difficult to spot anything American.
You're so far behind the times I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the fog in old London town.
While doing an impression of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:00 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Brits have voted for it, sheesh, what business is it of ours?
Pretty obvious, Leftist Americans and others think the European Union is some sort of Utopian Ideal, and if you like your own unique culture you are a biggot.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:07 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Finance pays big. NYC and Wall Street have incredible numbers.

Making fancy multimillion dollar races and luxe cars is big also.

It's like the old UK...for the rich and famous. But that's not going to help that "forgotten man" who Bannon and friends pulled out of their housing project and scared with the Facebook ads.....

Oh, even the financial sector - about 1/2 of it comes and goes to the EU.

AND.....as I am getting at above, economic inequality in the UK is a biggie.

https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/sca...-inequality-uk
According to two bar charts in the article you linked to, economic inequality is more of a biggie in the U.S. than it is in the U.K.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Uh, part of the reason people went to UK is the same they come here - UK needed factory workers and servants and such and the people born there didn't want to do the jobs any longer.

Even higher end production (union, benefits, etc.) jobs in Germany...many long term Germans won't do them. Ask BMW or Mercedes.....they can't fill jobs which is why they are happy for immigrants AND also building many new plants in the poor countries of Eastern Europe.

Not to say no one moves due to chaos, but a lot of modern movement has to do with the jobs needing to be done and not enough local population to do them.

How many American families do you know that have children and think "I hope Joe can get a job in the iron foundry making molds?". Very few...would be my guess.
I suspect we are both correct and are just describing different parts of a complicated problem.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:55 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Russia! Russia! Russia!

Lol

The Russian boogeyman strikes again.
Russia has been promoting nationalist fringe elements all over Europe. The break up of the European Union is a big bonus for Putin's Russia. This is what they have been working towards for a long time, many years before we caught them meddling in our election.

You may dismiss it all you want, but it happens to be the reality we are faced with. You just look foolish.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Pretty obvious, Leftist Americans and others think the European Union is some sort of Utopian Ideal, and if you like your own unique culture you are a biggot.
Ideal? No.

But it exists for a reason. European wars have ben historically devastating, killing millions (no one wants to see that again) and a united Europe not only avoids such tragedy, but has a lot of economic advantages. When the USA adopted it's constitution, trade barriers went down between the 13 states and the economy benefitted enormously, expanding at a healthy pace for decades. The very same thing happened in Europe with the Common Market and EU.

A united Europe has been good for the people and it is strong enough to defend member countries like Lithuania and Poland from aggression. This can be frustrating for an expansionist like Putin, on the outside looking in. The EU is his chief rival for influence in states like Ukraine, Belarus and Georgia. The EU (and NATO) need to be neutralized if Putin is going to have his way, and Brexit fits into that larger scheme very nicely.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Losing the trade war to China will have long term repercussions for every country on the planet:
Trump is an idiot. Even when he identifies a worthwhile task, he can't execute. He is the only person who could take a cause most nations could get behind and muck it up. The man is hopeless.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Interesting I know a few Brits and follow many online -- have for years (I love my British TV)......and they don't support Brexit. Many believe it to be a campaign that use misinformation and lies to mislead the British people, that many now would vote against it knowing the truth.
I worked for an engineering company on project managed by our British team and worked with and hung out almost exclusively with Brits for the last 3 years and I would estimate 80% favored Brexit even though they knew it would cause a temporary economic reduction. The lawyers and barristers I worked with in London were almost all against Brexit. I guess if it doesn't work out, they can rejoin the EU if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies