Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 12:01 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,299,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It was challenged and that was basically the answer "commerce clause".

Honestly, the CRA is just a tip of the iceberg of the real problem of government policy turning America from what is was into something in between Brazil and china.
Oh puhleez. Spare us the hyperbole. 1956 isn't coming back, Orval Faubus.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,299,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Immigrants use more welfare than non immigrants. I never worked for a immigrant especially from the third world and wouldn't want to anyway.
That's just rubbish.

Qualified immigrants are generally barred from receiving welfare benefits for the 1st 5 years they're in the country.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...grants-welfare

Here's a link from the Cato Institute, hardly a left-leaning organization - stating that immigrants use far less social services and entitlements than native born citizens: https://www.cato.org/publications/co...-welfare-state

ADL: Myths about Immigrants and Welfare Use:
https://www.adl.org/resources/fact-s...ion-en-espanol

It seems that being a nativist requires a willful ignorance of facts and logic.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:25 AM

19,559 posts, read 22,441,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's just rubbish.

Qualified immigrants are generally barred from receiving welfare benefits for the 1st 5 years they're in the country.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...grants-welfare

Here's a link from the Cato Institute, hardly a left-leaning organization - stating that immigrants use far less social services and entitlements than native born citizens: https://www.cato.org/publications/co...-welfare-state

ADL: Myths about Immigrants and Welfare Use:
https://www.adl.org/resources/fact-s...ion-en-espanol

It seems that being a nativist requires a willful ignorance of facts and logic.

Yes. They are just bigoted.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,499,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem with your position is that discrimination isn't just an exercise OF freedom, it is also an exercise AGAINST freedom. For instance, in this case the venue owner was exercising her own freedom by denying an interracial couple the use of her venue, but she was also acting against the freedom of the interracial couple. Now, the argument becomes that the interracial couple can simply find another venue. And that is true, they can try to find another venue, but it won't be in Booneville, because she's the only venue in town. And that can impact their celebration. Maybe some of their guests cannot travel 50 or 100 miles away to another venue. Maybe the couple cannot do that, maybe one of them has to work or take care of a family member. The civil rights laws that prohibit racial discrimination, and other discrimination, aren't about taking away the rights of people like the venue owners. The civil rights laws are about balancing the freedom of one group against the freedom of another. Legally, you are prohibited from shooting someone else because they tick you off. Your freedom to do something to another person is balanced by law against the freedom of the other person to live.

Sometimes the balancing of freedoms seems to some people to go overboard. Like baking cakes. But the law is a framework, it is up to judges to navigate that framework. There is a reason why Lady Justice is blindfolded, and why the justice system is an adversarial system, with two sides arguing their point of view.
Why aren't we enfircing that everywhete?

Why do we not have small people on NBA courts or handicapped people taking snaps?

Aren't those people being discriminated against?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:31 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Maybe if more than one person has commented about your words - perhaps your interpretation is wrong. Did you ever consider that, as opposed to being obstinate?

The law is pretty much crystal clear about public accommodations. I hope that you aren't a lawyer.

The only interpretation of the law I have given is if I tell you to leave my business you need to leave. I do not need to give you a reason and if I want to I can tell you it's because you have funny haircut or any other stupid reason.

My opinion is if I want to ask you to leave for any possible reason I should be able to do that.

Once again, you cannot argue my opinion of the law is wrong because it does not conform with the law. the mere existence of a law does not make it right or wrong.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah well you can't. A landlord cannot deny someone due to race or other reasons. A bank may not. A taxi may not. A pubic business may not.

So yeah- wrong.

Why is it so many of you have a problem separating an opinion of the law from the law? If there is road near you posted at 65 and you offer the opinion it should 75 you can't be wrong because it's posted at 65.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,499,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The only interpretation of the law I have given is if I tell you to leave my business you need to leave. I do not need to give you a reason and if I want to I can tell you it's because you have funny haircut or any other stupid reason.

My opinion is if I want to ask you to leave for any possible reason I should be able to do that.

Once again, you cannot argue my opinion of the law is wrong because it does not conform with the law. the mere existence of a law does not make it right or wrong.
I wonder if a couple hundred years ago they'd be arguing, "Of course slavery is justified, it's the law afterall."

I'm guessing yes.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,824,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why is it so many of you have a problem separating an opinion of the law from the law? If there is road near you posted at 65 and you offer the opinion it should 75 you can't be wrong because it's posted at 65.
Yes, this is getting beyond absurd.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 AM

10,194 posts, read 6,261,022 times
One of the arguments used in Loving v. Virginia was that if God wanted the races to breed together, he would have created only one race.

Sounds like some people haven't changed from the 1950's.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 AM

37,908 posts, read 21,993,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
https://tippahnews.com/2019/09/01/no...gious-beliefs/

So just how far does religious belief go when it comes to the laws of this country?

Venue owner found out that the couple were not of the same race and denied rental of the venue citing her "Christian race, er Christian beliefs".

I was saying that when businesses were told that they could use "religious belief" to refuse service to gays that it would open the door to racists to do the same. Seems that I was right. Either religious belief trumps any and all laws or it doesn't.
Where in the bible does it say anything about the mandate from god for worshipers to maintain racial purity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies