Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
seems to me that making disparaging remarks about the younger generation has been going on since the pyramids were under construction. The more things change, the more they stay the same.........
Very true. My generation also had to deal with it as well.

I will say this. The women of my generation (early to mid 40's) in age, I have the misfortunate of running into (minus those I knew from my grade school thru high school years) are absolutely awful. They are rude, overbearing and in some cases actually just plain nasty. I never want to go out with any of them again.

In contrast, over the last five to six years I've actually had the opportunity to go out with several 20 something ladies and unfortunately I had a hang up about their age. I was worried about what people would think. Instead of looking at their positive attributes, nice, pleasant, pretty intelligent and fairly attractive not to mention interesting to talk to, I could not get over the age issue. Well, I've had a change of heart about that and I won't let that happen again. When I start to date women again it will likely be a 20 something. I certainly won't age discriminate again. Female wise I do run into less bad apples in the younger generation than my own and those that are older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Very true. My generation also had to deal with it as well.

I will say this. The women of my generation (early to mid 40's) in age, I have the misfortunate of running into (minus those I knew from my grade school thru high school years) are absolutely awful. They are rude, overbearing and in some cases actually just plain nasty. I never want to go out with any of them again.
Hmmmmm, thats interesting, I fit right into that age bracket, as do all my friends, and I can honestly say only one of them can get nasty. Maybe it has to do with where you live? All my friends (except the one) are from the south or midwest. Dont know if geography has something to do with it, or just life experiences...... anyway, sorry to hear about your dating mishaps, all us of 40something gals are not like that.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
I have friends and acquaintances from all parts of our country, Canada and Europe.

I live in Kansas City. That is part of the problem. I'm from New England and the culture in KC is diametrically opposite of the northeast. The problem is not exclusive to KC however. In NY ,most of New England, OH and PA only the younger gals express any interest. I will be moving back to that part of the country in a year or so and when the opportunity presents itself back there, I won't let my former hang up get in the way. :-)

I noted that you are originally from St. Louis. Definitely different than KC and certainly more sophisticated. I get a hoot out of the local KC media and even government leaders that proclaim KC to be a "world class city". Nobody in their right mind considers KC to be a world class city. I suspect they have an inferiority complex because St. Louis is the top dog and the major metro area in the region aside from Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul, and this is there way of dealing with it. :-) If KC is a world class city then we'd have to classify another dozen to two dozen metro areas with superior culture and entertainment facilities as world class cities. End of rant...:-)

Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
As a member of the generation after the OP, sometimes I do think the same things about people my age ("all they ever want to do is flaunt themselves on the Internet," for example). Then I'm reminded that idiocy knows no boundaries.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
I can assume by your location, you live in canada ?

you do realize you're critizing the USA from a 3rd world country, eh ?

Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
I'm young and I am not stupid (though I admit some of my classmates are) I'm in a world class program at my school and I love it. I'm growing corn in my basement right now and I love helping the environment, I feel guilty even killing ants and hunting seems barbaric to me. You are really ignoring people like me who are nothing like what you say.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
I agree with the OP. It is much worse though with my generation (Y) than with the GenXers. GenX may be slackers, but many intelligent minds come from that generation. People in my generation dont seem to have a purpose in life other than to get wasted. If you are intelligent in school and even some colleges, you are looked down on as a geek or nerd. Intellectualism is actively FROWNED on by our society. Culture has become a race to see how far they can push the envelope on shock value and disgustingness. Where are the Mozarts, Van Goghs, and Einsteins of today? 50 Cent has nothing on the great classical composers, or even legends like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Dean Martin. I'm not even going to get started on movies and film. It's appaling it is that over the last 75 years we've devolved from the Wizard of Oz and Casablanca down to 2 Girls 1 Cup. Google that if you don't know what it is (WARNING: It might be EXTREMELY offensive to some people). That short clip is a perfect example of where our society is heading. Fortunately, there still a few great minds today, they are just a minority. I don't think we are in 2505 yet, but we will be there within 50 years if something doesn't change.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
Well as a 20 something young person I'd have to say the baby boomers of this country are old Americans who are dumb and wasteful.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Well as a 20 something young person I'd have to say the baby boomers of this country are old Americans who are dumb and wasteful.
Woah that's really harsh and not true. They made our country the World superpower and they have created for us a better life and Economy (though its not so great right now) and they have advanced our technology greatly.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM

108 posts, read 348,575 times
Default you are so agreed with by me the elder im sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Woah that's really harsh and not true. They made our country the World superpower and they have created for us a better life and Economy (though its not so great right now) and they have advanced our technology greatly.
I dont believe this statement at ALL. How can you generalize on such a broad scope this sort of thing is never a good thing cause there are so great and brilliant young minds alot of them i would be proud to call my children .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies