Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:03 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How about re-framing this by using creative & critical thinking approach/strategies?

• Identify the problems. — “What’s the real question we’re facing here?”
• Define the context. — “What are the facts & circumstances that frame this problem?”
• Enumerate choices. — “What are our most plausible three or four options?”
• Analyze options. — “What is our best course of action, all things considered?”
• List reasons explicitly. — “Let’s be clear: Why we are making this particular choice?”
• Self-correct. — “Okay, let’s look at it again. What did we miss?

What’s the real question we’re facing here?

Identify the problems.
I'm an engineer by discipline, but I also know people do not understand how engineers think. I'm a critical thinker by trade and education, but politics has taken control of our crayons and paint.

Politics ALWAYS corrupts the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:11 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Prayers and gun control. Both can be done even at the same time!

Old 09-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Do they pray in Chicago? They already have stringent gun controls in place.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
https://fox17.com/news/local/tenness...r-new-fbi-data

Florida crime rate down overall, except for murder - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay

Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
I'm an engineer by discipline, but I also know people do not understand how engineers think. I'm a critical thinker by trade and education, but politics has taken control of our crayons and paint.

Politics ALWAYS corrupts the discussion.
I think it's likely true all "people do not understand how engineers think".

I'll also agree that politics very often corrupts.

Although ... are these the the 'real questions we're facing here'?

Quote:
• Identify the problems. — “What’s the real question we’re facing here?”
• Define the context. — “What are the facts & circumstances that frame this problem?”
• Enumerate choices. — “What are our most plausible three or four options?”
• Analyze options. — “What is our best course of action, all things considered?”
• List reasons explicitly. — “Let’s be clear: Why we are making this particular choice?”
• Self-correct. — “Okay, let’s look at it again. What did we miss?
I tend to think all "people do not understand how engineers think" & politics very often corrupts are more about defining the context.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Prayers and gun control. Both can be done even at the same time!
A creative & critical approach allows for 'brainstorming' ideas; it's not a bug it's one of the main features so to speak.

Give it a shot no pun intended.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Quoted from the 2nd piece:

Quote:
The Florida Sheriff's Association says the lower crime is no accident. Columbia County Sheriff Mark Hunter, president of the sheriff's association, says the crime rate is lower because criminals are locked up "serving the time they deserve and not creating more victims by receiving a ‘get out of jail free card.'"

The sheriff's association was highly critical of proposals during the last legislative session that would have allowed for early releases of inmates convicted of what lawmakers called low-level crimes. Critics said the term "low-level" was just vague enough to be confusing, but included crimes ranging from drug offenses, to firearms charges. The early release provision was stripped from the bill.

Florida's prison population stands at roughly 95,000 inmates. It's the third largest state prison system in the country. According to Project 180, Florida's incarceration rate of 513 inmates per 100,000 residents is substantially higher than the national average of 471.
Part of Defining the context:

Private Prisons in the United States
AUGUST 02, 2018

U.S. private prisons incarcerated 128,063 people in 2016, representing 8.5% of the total state and federal prison population.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/pu...united-states/

Florida's Private-Prison Population Spiked 211 Percent Since 2000

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/f...-says-10589872

Old 09-09-2019, 05:10 AM

Put into words in a way I'm unable to. It is a 'pro 2nd amendment, but I would encourage others to watch and listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqJKChKRzI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies