Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 05:55 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Many states already have a mandatory background check law, which does not have a private sale or gun show loophole. Unfortunately many of these same states still have plenty of crime because the same liberal system that wants to control guns ever so tightly also gently hand slaps the criminals and tosses them back on the street. Most guns used in crimes (robbery, home invasion) in my area wind up being stolen, the last several murders were actually via stabbing or strangling.
Its not many states, its few I think around 6. Which states "dump criminals" back on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 06:04 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Just as easy as buying a used weed eater!

There is no realistic or practical way to even enforce laws designed to target private sales, there is not enough manpower to monitor ALL the classified sites, and who is buying.

Plus, a good amount of used guns are sold by drug dealers...but if Govt cannot stop them from selling drugs, what hope is there they would be any more successful with guns?!!
So let's make all crime legal? No law has stopped any crime. Murder is illegal but people still murder. So make murder legal? That's ridiculous. Passing laws and enforcing them decreases crimes by a large degree. Universal background checks and jailing people who make illegal sales would probably reduce gun crime by a huge amount. Why not try it and find out?

Old 09-04-2019, 06:06 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Texas shooter failed the background check to get gun legally so went to a private seller where he didn't have to pass a background check. Seems to me like this hole needs to be plugged.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...heck/23806445/
No. If I want to buy a rifle from my uncle, it no one's business. The end.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:13 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This wouldn't have happened here in Washington State. We used to allow the 'private' gun sales, but in 2014 voters passed I-594 to require background checks on all gun sales. It has been very effective, and would have stopped this TX shooter in his tracks.
This guy had a plan and wanted to kill, and I think would have gained access to a gun to do so whatever it took. He would just have to have stolen one or bought one off the street. While I'm not against things like I-594 I'm not sure if its all that effective. It just makes it a bit harder for people who have "snapped" and aren't hooked up with their regular "drug dealer/alleyway stolen gun dealer". Criminals aren't going to blink an eye at car prowling or B&E to get a gun to pull a bigger "job".

Old 09-04-2019, 06:16 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its not many states, its few I think around 6. Which states "dump criminals" back on the street.
Go watch the "Seattle is dying" video.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Back ground checks do in fact prevent felons from acquiring guns, pretty much the only significant law at the federal level other than specialty restrictions on certain weapons. This crime may have very well been prevented if there were in fact universal background checks, the way it stands now the seller can claim he had no reason to believe the buyer had a problem. The way the law stands now the seller may not be liable for anything, background checks just for commercial sales makes no rational sense.

you are dreaming my friend, perhaps it is time you wake up from your slumber and look around. criminals get ILLEGAL guns all the time to commit their evil deeds. and background checks wont stop that, never have never will. all a background check will do is stop law abiding citizens from buying guns, AT BEST. even your vaunted universal background check would have done NOTHING to stop the crime.

for example, one does not need to pass a background check to buy a kit to build a resin AR15 lower. you can make them all day long as long s you dont sell them.

the rest of the gun just needs to be bought as parts, again no background check. and even if you were to require background checks on the factory parts, no big deal as you can MAKE the necessary parts rather than buy them, you just need a small lathe, and some ability to use said lathe.

now you are going to say will we can make people pass background checks to buy bullets, but lets look at that shall we? you can make your own brass casings, make your own molds to cast you own lead projectiles, make your own primer caps, make your own gun powder, etc.

in other words, everything to make your own firearms, without serial numbers, without EVER having to pass a background check, can easily be done if you have even average intelligence. and NONE of the items is considered unusual if you were to get them through mail order.

unless of course you want to make everyone pass a background check on everything they buy every day.

i can see that now;

i see you plan on buying diesel fuel for your car. fill out the government form, and give me two forms of ID, then wait 15 minutes while i call this in.(and this would need to be done EVERY TIME you fuel up by the way).

then at the garden store, lease fill out this form and give me two forms of ID so you can buy this fertilizer for your garden, and wait 15 minutes while i call this in.

now consider that for EVERYTHING you buy during the day, because i can tell you that just about anything can be made into a weapon when you combine them in the proper manner.

so again what good are your background checks, universal or not, now?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
The AR-15 has been used in over a dozen mass shootings but certainly not the only weapon that needs to be banned. The use of gins by decent people pales by comparison the this other gun homicide but no one is asking to take away all guns. Sorry but claims that they will find another way is not a logical reason for tighter restrictions, or should we continue to make it easier for criminals and those that are mentally unstable to acquire guns. Maybe we should do away with speed limits because someone will find a way around that law. Quoting a few anecdotes as a reason for keeping this type of firepower doesn't fly.

Ban of assault weapons, extended waiting period beyond 72 hours and universal background checks make a lot of sense so we can mimic civilized countries.
"Assault Weapons" are fully automatic weapons and those were banned back in late 1980s, and if a person wants a fully automatic weapon, they have to apply for a permit. Personally, I would not want one.

Meanwhile those who sell guns illegally on the black market to gangs and other criminal elements will only see an opportunity to expand their business if a ban on "assault weapons" ban takes place. Bans along with all those laws you're thinking about to mimic "civilized countries", won't fly either. Look at my previous message about Japan.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/56094317-post72.html

We've had criminal background checks since the mid 1990s and that hasn't stopped criminals from getting guns on the black market. Universal Background Checks? Again, just because you have that, it doesn't mean gang members and other dangerous individuals will take an extra step to comply with such a rule. Remember, I'm talking about individuals who have no regards for human life, let alone rules that they have to follow before selling guns.

I, like millions of law-abiding Americans, have an AR-15 and other semi-auto rifles, which do have many legitimate uses, that include self defense and match competitions, you won't understand if you're not a firearms enthusiast. Overall, I should not be punished for the horrific crimes a few individuals did.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:22 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
No. If I want to buy a rifle from my uncle, it no one's business. The end.
What if an uncle sells a firearm to a nutter who posts 'kill all the spics" on social media? And then the nutter kills a bunch of people with that firearm. - isn't that someone else's business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
"Assault Weapons" are fully automatic weapons and those were banned back in late 1980s, and if a person wants a fully automatic weapon, they have to apply for a permit. Personally, I would not want one.

But a lot of nutters planning mass murder would want them. How many people could the Vegas killer have killed if he had a machine gun that shot 6000 rounds per minute? And if semiautomatics were regulated as firmly as machine guns he never could have killed so many.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are dreaming my friend, perhaps it is time you wake up from your slumber and look around. criminals get ILLEGAL guns all the time to commit their evil deeds. and background checks wont stop that, never have never will. all a background check will do is stop law abiding citizens from buying guns, AT BEST. even your vaunted universal background check would have done NOTHING to stop the crime.

for example, one does not need to pass a background check to buy a kit to build a resin AR15 lower. you can make them all day long as long s you dont sell them.

the rest of the gun just needs to be bought as parts, again no background check. and even if you were to require background checks on the factory parts, no big deal as you can MAKE the necessary parts rather than buy them, you just need a small lathe, and some ability to use said lathe.

now you are going to say will we can make people pass background checks to buy bullets, but lets look at that shall we? you can make your own brass casings, make your own molds to cast you own lead projectiles, make your own primer caps, make your own gun powder, etc.

in other words, everything to make your own firearms, without serial numbers, without EVER having to pass a background check, can easily be done if you have even average intelligence. and NONE of the items is considered unusual if you were to get them through mail order.

unless of course you want to make everyone pass a background check on everything they buy every day.

i can see that now;

i see you plan on buying diesel fuel for your car. fill out the government form, and give me two forms of ID, then wait 15 minutes while i call this in.(and this would need to be done EVERY TIME you fuel up by the way).

then at the garden store, lease fill out this form and give me two forms of ID so you can buy this fertilizer for your garden, and wait 15 minutes while i call this in.

now consider that for EVERYTHING you buy during the day, because i can tell you that just about anything can be made into a weapon when you combine them in the proper manner.

so again what good are your background checks, universal or not, now?
Background checks have in fact prevented felons from getting guns. Perfectly effective no but what law is, maybe you have an example. So you are for private sales getting a pass, why.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-04-2019 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This guy had a plan and wanted to kill, and I think would have gained access to a gun to do so whatever it took. He would just have to have stolen one or bought one off the street. While I'm not against things like I-594 I'm not sure if its all that effective. It just makes it a bit harder for people who have "snapped" and aren't hooked up with their regular "drug dealer/alleyway stolen gun dealer". Criminals aren't going to blink an eye at car prowling or B&E to get a gun to pull a bigger "job".
I don’t think we need to make it easier for felons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies