Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:19 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,243 times

Advertisements

I would have much more respect for the pro gun lobby if they would just be honest.

You value the principle of the right to bear arms more than the individual lives of people killed by guns. You would rather have a thousand toddlers shot in the face than one less gun.

Principle always comes with a cost. In this case the right to bear arms is paid for with the lives of gunshot victims. The right to have an abortion is paid for with the lives of aborted fetuses. The right to due process is paid for with the suffering of victims who don't get justice and future victims. Every solider who has died in conflict has paid for some principle with their lives.

Just admit that this is a principle you are willing to let other people die for. I wouldn't agree with you, but I'd at least respect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 11:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I would have much more respect for the pro gun lobby if they would just be honest.

You value the principle of the right to bear arms more than the individual lives of people killed by guns. You would rather have a thousand toddlers shot in the face than one less gun.

Principle always comes with a cost. In this case the right to bear arms is paid for with the lives of gunshot victims. The right to have an abortion is paid for with the lives of aborted fetuses. The right to due process is paid for with the suffering of victims who don't get justice and future victims. Every solider who has died in conflict has paid for some principle with their lives.

Just admit that this is a principle you are willing to let other people die for. I wouldn't agree with you, but I'd at least respect you.
Well the problem is that we don't trust the other side. They take and take and they still want more.

It will be one less gun.....and then another one less gun....and again and again and again.

They don't want to save lives, they want the people totally disarmed.

There's honesty......we don't trust the other side any more.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:

I value the principle of defending my life, and my family's by being properly armed to deter often armed criminals. What about that right? Why should I put myself more at risk because of criminals committing violence using a gun.

A Free Society has risk, and we accept those risks. Driving on the roads is by far the most dangerous, and we accept 35,000 - 40,000 deaths per year. Realistically, Suicides, and inner city black on black violence account for a fast majority of killings. Take away those and you hae a few thousand homicides per year by guys with guns.

How many people would die if they were rendered defenseless? What about the respect for their lives? Don't you value them?

Old 09-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I value the principle of defending my life, and my family's by being properly armed to deter often armed criminals. What about that right? Why should I put myself more at risk because of criminals committing violence using a gun.

A Free Society has risk, and we accept those risks. Driving on the roads is by far the most dangerous, and we accept 35,000 - 40,000 deaths per year. Realistically, Suicides, and inner city black on black violence account for a fast majority of killings. Take away those and you hae a few thousand homicides per year by guys with guns.

How many people would die if they were rendered defenseless? What about the respect for their lives? Don't you value them?
We all value the convenience of driving over the lives that could be saved by doing away with automobiles.

I'm willing to admit that a principle I believe in - the right to an abortion - has a human cost and I accept that.

Why can't you?

You value the right to own guns more than the lives of the people who have been killed by guns. I'm not arguing with you over whether you should or not. I'm saying - that's the reality behind being pro gun. Why don't any of you want to admit it?

Old 09-04-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well the problem is that we don't trust the other side. They take and take and they still want more.

It will be one less gun.....and then another one less gun....and again and again and again.

They don't want to save lives, they want the people totally disarmed.

There's honesty......we don't trust the other side any more.
Who cares? I'm not arguing for or against taking anything. I'm saying be honest.

The freedom to own guns means some people will be killed with guns. That's fact. Why can't you admit that you are willing to accept that fact.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:41 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Who cares? I'm not arguing for or against taking anything. I'm saying be honest.

The freedom to own guns means some people will be killed with guns. That's fact. Why can't you admit that you are willing to accept that fact.
You asked for my honesty and I gave it.

We don't trust the other side.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Quote:

The bold is a bald faced lie based on the rest of your post. Especially the ad hominem "toddlers shot in the face" BS. People will die every day whether you respect anyone or not.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
We all value the convenience of driving over the lives that could be saved by doing away with automobiles.

I'm willing to admit that a principle I believe in - the right to an abortion - has a human cost and I accept that.

Why can't you?

You value the right to own guns more than the lives of the people who have been killed by guns. I'm not arguing with you over whether you should or not. I'm saying - that's the reality behind being pro gun. Why don't any of you want to admit it?
What about the value of lives saved by someone legally having a gun? Most aren't reported as the perps run at the sight of one. Best outcome.

I accept the human cost, which is statistically very, very small to keep a free society.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:52 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
There is a reason the AR15 is the most popular rifle in America. It's not changing any time soon either.

If you've never shot one you should. Take a class if you are nervous.

The more you know the less you are afraid of

I love this video. Watch to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-eSxR5gIc
and that’s why it can’t be banned according to a Supreme Court ruling.

All this talk about banning this certain gun or any gun is just nonsense. Gun grabbers better take up a different hobby.

I love how the left wants to determine what weapon suits you best for protecting yourself and family. If they had it their way, you’d be fending off a home invader with hash words and a sharp stick.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:52 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Fake news, women’s favorite gun would obviously be a handgun.

Ask anyone who's been in the military or even just takes self defense seriously.

Handguns as a means of self defense serve only one purpose (at least in the home) :

They buy you time to get to your long gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies