Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 AM

564 posts, read 815,380 times

Advertisements

Ok, another hot topic but one worth discussing. The pope recently said how disappointed he was in the behavior of Catholic Priests towards children.. i.e. the thousands of children molested by priests over the years. So why is there a problem?

I think the first step to solving a problem is first identifying the cause. What is interesting is that the cause of this problem is never mentioned by the media or anyone else publicly. There are numerous professions where men are left alone with children and yet the children aren't molested.. preschools, elementary schools, daycare centers, etc. So why is it so common among priests?

The answer is homosexuality. Homosexuality is something you are born with. You can't help it and you can't control it. Just like a heterosexual doesn't decide to be heterosexual and can't just stop being heterosexual. The catholic church teaches it's members at a very young age that the act of homosexuality is a sin. So homosexual catholics have a choice to make.. they can either go out in the world and try as hard as possible to fight their natural urges or they can join the priesthood where it is much easier to fight your natural urges due to the fact they are suppose to be celibate.

It really is an honorable thing. How many of us will completely change our lifestyle to get rid of something we believe is a sin? Not many.

So here lies the problem. You have tons of gay priests joining the clergy to keep their sexual desires at bay. Mix that with many alter boys and supressed sexual urges and very little supervision and what do you get??... you get the current pedophilia crisis that is tearing the catholic church apart.

For the catholic church to let this go on over the years is awful. They knew the truth. This post isn't a rant against the catholic church or homosexuals. This post is just to explain the cause of the problem. Once the problem is identified then you can look for a solution.

I just don't know why the root cause of this problem is never mentioned in the media. I think our world is so politically correct that when the gay community and religious community are involved, the media keeps it's lip shut for fear of backlash from the general public. That's fine but if we want to solve this problem going forward we all have to understand what is really going on in the Catholic church.

Curious about everyone's thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
Its not so common among priests. IN fact when compared to the rest of the population the occurance is less among priests.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Its not so common among priests. IN fact when compared to the rest of the population the occurance is less among priests.

Bryan, do you live on planet earth? Name one other profession in the United States where men and children are unsupervised and pedophilia is rampant. Name one profession.

This is such a huge problem that the Pope began his speech in America talking about. Thousands and thousands of children have been molested in the catholic church.. and those are the ones who spoke up. Lord knows how many people were molested who are too embarassed to speak up. To blow this off as a non-issue.. you must reside on another planet?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
I just don't know why the root cause of this problem is never mentioned in the media. I think our world is so politically correct that when the gay community and religious community are involved, the media keeps it's lip shut for fear of backlash from the general public. That's fine but if we want to solve this problem going forward we all have to understand what is really going on in the Catholic church.

Curious about everyone's thoughts. Thanks.
The problem was not whether priests are homo- or heterosexual, the problem was the horrible corruption that allowed priests to abuse children with impunity and for years. When exposure threatened, abuser priests were just winked at, transferred to another diocese.

The media did not keep its lips shut about that.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The problem was not whether priests are homo- or heterosexual, the problem was the horrible corruption that allowed priests to abuse children with impunity and for years. When exposure threatened, abuser priests were just winked at, transferred to another diocese.

The root of the problem is a large supply of gay priests in the clergy with supressed sexual emotions, unsupervised around young children. It's not rocket science but yet no one admits it. Can't solve the problem if you ignore the cause.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

So if most of the catholic priests were heterosexual you think this problem would still exist?

If so, then why doesn't this problem exist elsewhere in the country where men work alongside children, unsupervised?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Its not rampant. I want to see the numbers you have saying that child molestation is more prevelant among Catholic priests than other segments of the population. And dont insult me with your stoopid little what planet are you on crap.

Proof, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Bryan, do you live on planet earth? Name one other profession in the United States where men and children are unsupervised and pedophilia is rampant. Name one profession.

This is such a huge problem that the Pope began his speech in America talking about. Thousands and thousands of children have been molested in the catholic church.. and those are the ones who spoke up. Lord knows how many people were molested who are too embarassed to speak up. To blow this off as a non-issue.. you must reside on another planet?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Not segments of the population.. I'm talking about occupations. Of course priests molest less than the overall populaton. Priests are high moral people who work in a place of worship. I'm saying no other occupation molests more children than priests and the reasons are what I stated above.

I'm curious, what point are you trying to make? That child molesting in the church is no big deal? Blown out of proportion? I don't understand what you are getting at.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 AM

The point im trying to make is that I want proof of your assertions. The premise of your argument is that child moletation is rampant among Priests as opposed to other occupations or segments of the population.

Bring it

Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM

I don't know how to do sources on here but I read that over 4,000 priests have been accused of child molesting. Of course, people know that many child molestation victims don't speak out for many different reasons. So that number could be ten times that. This problem has been in every major newspaper, the topic of the popes agenda, every news channel.. it is a problem. The fact that you brush it off is very irresponsible and disheartening to all the children who were molested in the catholic church over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies