U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:54 AM

992 posts, read 785,932 times

Advertisements

My aunt studied English literature in 1983 at Columbia (she's an attorney now) and wrote for the school paper. Obama apparently was an English major during the same time and they are the same age, she said she had zero recollection of him.

Old Today, 09:06 AM

19,862 posts, read 12,482,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know this has nothing to do with nothing and I'm sure it has come up in the past, but wanted to make a note of it. It is interesting that they highlight the college period of his life in the film, but in real life nobody recalls him ever being at school.

We will probably put Obama's college transcripts in the same file cabinet as Bill & Hillary's health records and Trump's taxes.

OBAMA AT COLUMBIA – OR WAS HE?

Regarding the 2016 film "Barry"...

The stint at Columbia got dramatic treatment in the 2016 film Barry. As Matthew Cooper of Newsweek noted, the Netflix production “charts his college years in New York, when ‘Barry,’ as he was known, wrestled with his racial identity.” Still, there was a problem.

“I was at Columbia a year behind Obama,” Cooper explained, but “I never knew Obama.” As Cooper recalled, Clinton factotum George Stephanopoulos was a year ahead of Barry and didn’t know him either. Neither did many other Columbia students, including those in Barry’s own class.

“We were his classmates in the Columbia University undergraduate class of 1983,” wrote Judy Maltz in a March 15, 2013 article in the Israeli publication Haaretz. Maltz numbered close to 25 in the group of 1983 Columbia grads including lawyers, one doctor, several engineers, an architect, librarian, speech pathologist, financier and a journalist. The group also included two married couples who began dating at Columbia.

“But here’s the thing,” Maltz explained. “Not one of us remembers Barack Obama from our undergrad years, nor do we know anyone else who does.” Jamie Miller, a mother of five active in the Columbia alumni association, travels back to New York every five years to attend reunions. “I was in the marching band, I worked on the yearbook, and I was involved in student government, so I knew everyone,” explained Miller, “But I never saw him around.”
-----------------

From 2008...

Wayne Allyn Root's Million-Dollar Challenge

Matt Welch: So tell us what we should know about Barack Obama that we don't?

Wayne Allyn Root: I think the most dangerous thing you should know about Barack Obama is that I don't know a single person at Columbia that knows him, and they all know me. I don't have a classmate who ever knew Barack Obama at Columbia. Ever!

Welch: Were you the exact same class?

Root: Class of '83 political science, pre-law Columbia University. You don't get more exact than that. Never met him in my life, don't know anyone who ever met him. At the class reunion, our 20th reunion five years ago, 20th reunion, who was asked to be the speaker of the class? Me. No one ever heard of Barack! Who was he, and five years ago, nobody even knew who he was.

Other guy: Did he even show up to the reunion?

Root: I don't know! I didn't know him. I don't think anybody knew him. But I know that the guy who writes the class notes, who's kind of the, as we say in New York, the macha who knows everybody, has yet to find a person, a human who ever met him. Is that not strange? It's very strange.

I don't know- Columbia is big school and there are probably MANY people in a single class who don't know each other. I am not an Obama fan at all and think there are some very peculiar issues in his past that should have been vetted. This is not one of them.

If they said that no one in Obama's law class knew him at all, that would be significant. Undergrad- not so much.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

18,545 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Gee; a black student at Columbia U. in the early eighties, who maybe for his own reasons, desired to remain incognito, aloof, un-notable, and succeeded.

It's a real puzzle I tell ya. I wonder what could possibly have been his motivation to behave thusly?

Old Today, 09:19 AM

3,944 posts, read 2,106,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Editors of the Harvard Law Review don't typically publish articles in the Law Review. That's not their job.
Are you implying that an editor of a publication is supposed to edit the writing of others and not publish their own material? Shut up!

Old Today, 09:26 AM

3,944 posts, read 2,106,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gee; a black student at Columbia U. in the early eighties, who maybe for his own reasons, desired to remain incognito, aloof, un-notable, and succeeded.

It's a real puzzle I tell ya. I wonder what could possibly have been his motivation to behave thusly?
Can't think of any reason why such a person would decide not to draw attention to himself in an environment that might not have been welcoming to outsiders. None at all.....

Old Today, 10:03 AM

7,059 posts, read 6,332,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My aunt studied English literature in 1983 at Columbia (she's an attorney now) and wrote for the school paper. Obama apparently was an English major during the same time and they are the same age, she said she had zero recollection of him.
You might want to send your aunt this link to set herself straight.........

Or perhaps she knows the person who secretly wrote this for him..........in the school magazine.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gazine-article

Old Today, 10:14 AM

1,241 posts, read 221,988 times
So what?

Old Today, 10:18 AM

20,444 posts, read 10,002,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know this has nothing to do with nothin......
It's very strange.

OOOF!

wayne allen root's claim got shot down when it first came out. there were already multiple articles available online from columbia classmates who remembered him as well as brietbart showing obama registered at columbia as barack obama ( debunking the myth that he was a foreign student registered as barry soetoro ).

Old Today, 10:28 AM

20,444 posts, read 10,002,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My aunt studied English literature in 1983 at Columbia (she's an attorney now) and wrote for the school paper. Obama apparently was an English major during the same time .....

his major at columbia was political science.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

67,409 posts, read 34,360,303 times
Maybe there are student loans records... lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or