U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:13 PM

22,900 posts, read 11,797,390 times

Advertisements

Lawyers for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:15 PM

21,537 posts, read 10,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Check your homicide clearance rates against ticket revenues.

Yeah, it's a scene boys and girls.
Sorry, I'm incapable of doing astronomical maths.

Old Today, 01:29 PM

25,801 posts, read 9,968,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sorry, I'm incapable of doing astronomical maths.
Quote:
In 2017, fines and penalties raked in $344.9 million 9.4 percent of all city revenue. Vehicle tickets alone now bring in more than $260 million.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...enue-lightfoot

Those are the latest revenues I could find on my Google machine. Thanks Google!

I did find a few recent articles from this past summer saying your current mayor wants to lessen the harshness of fines. What a kind master she must be.

Your clearance rate is probably between 20% and 40% if I had to guess. Now, let me use my Google machine and see what we got...

Hey, 51%! Up from 28% three years ago.

https://thecrimereport.org/2019/07/0...%20years%20ago.

Still, is this remotely good enough? For government, sure. But let's not get me started.

Old Today, 01:37 PM

21,537 posts, read 10,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...enue-lightfoot

Those are the latest revenues I could find on my Google machine. Thanks Google!

I did find a few recent articles from this past summer saying your current mayor wants to lessen the harshness of fines. What a kind master she must be.

Your clearance rate is probably between 20% and 40% if I had to guess. Now, let me use my Google machine and see what we got...

Hey, 51%! Up from 28% three years ago.

https://thecrimereport.org/2019/07/0...%20years%20ago.

Still, is this remotely good enough? For government, sure. But let's not get me started.

There was a reason I didn't look that up. You HAD to do it, didn't you?

It honestly makes my blood boil.

She's not my mayor, by the way. I no longer live in the city. In fact, I would never move back. It's bad enough I have to work there - and I'm on the mag mile, which ain't too shabby!

Old Today, 01:52 PM

47,119 posts, read 34,575,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
So in one of the latest redistributions of wealth from business to government, the FTC fined Google $1.7 million. This is to settle a case where Google knowingly harvested information from children for ad profit. This ludicrous settlement sent two messages that were perfectly clear.

1. The FTC and government in general are afraid to actually punish Google, since their yearly revenue is close to 1000x that fine.
  2. It is OK to victimize kids if you kick some of the profit back to Uncle Sam.
So my question is, who does this benefit? Certainly it did nothing to help the kids that were illegally used by Google for profit. The FTC also picked up a nice $5 billion dollar check from Facebook, which sounds impressive until you realize that is less than one month's revenue for them.

Fines should not be profit for the government, they should be collected and distributed to the victims as partial compensation. Also I think fines should be stiff enough to deter further illegal behavior, and I think any cases involving fines that high, should also result in some prison time for those that were in charge of the illegal operations.
This was a negotiated settlement between state and federal governments and Google, owner of YouTube. It used cookies to track and then direct ads towards children, younger than 13.

Guess a class-action civil suit could be filed against Google on behalf of "victims". It would then be up to the plaintiff to prove they somehow were harmed by ads targeting children. Good luck with that.

Old Today, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This was a negotiated settlement between state and federal governments and Google, owner of YouTube. It used cookies to track and then direct ads towards children, younger than 13.

Guess a class-action civil suit could be filed against Google on behalf of "victims". It would then be up to the plaintiff to prove they somehow were harmed by ads targeting children. Good luck with that.
The best part of that lawsuit, if it were to come to fruition, would be that any settlement would be taxable under current law.

So in the end, at least a good chunk of, the money goes back to the government which in turn goes back to Google.

What a wonderful system it is, don't ya think?

Old Today, 03:07 PM

16,667 posts, read 4,375,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post

Fines should not be profit for the government, they should be collected and distributed to the victims as partial compensation. Also I think fines should be stiff enough to deter further illegal behavior, and I think any cases involving fines that high, should also result in some prison time for those that were in charge of the illegal operations.
I think what you may be getting at - and Google is perhaps the smallest player in history at this point - is that White Collar Crime or misdeeds are "legal" in this country and it's always best to shoot first and ask questions later.

Let me give you a better example. Rick Scott and friends were involved in one of the biggest Frauds against the US Government and Taxpayers in history. Literally many billions of dollars stolen from us...let alone the "legal" things he and his company did to rip us off.

His Boss (the former CEO of that health care firm) retired with a BILLION dollars. Now, where does that BILLION come from. Rick's company paid a 500 Million dollar fine (or something like that)...puts google to shame, right?

Well, firstly, that fine came from where? Did it come from the pockets of Scott and his friends? Nope - it came from the Frauds they perpetuated and the ripoffs (legal) of health care consumers.

For this most horrible act - Rick Scott was financed by his billionaire buddies and became Gov. of a large state. Then, for his destruction there, he was rewarded with a seat in the US Senate.

Perhaps you are looking at too small of a level???

You know that multi-billion dollar other health care fraud - Theramos? Well, guess who sat on the Board of Directors and tried to get the system (a complete fraud) adopted by the Pentagon?

Yep - Mad Dog Mathis. Yet he is the paragon of virtue, right?

Set your sights higher and you will see what this country is really about. Steal $200 and you'll go to jail. Steal two billion and you will be elected to high office.

Old Today, 03:16 PM

16,667 posts, read 4,375,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, but it's not like the state/county/city is making a profit. The fines help defray the cost of investigation and enforcement, and help pay for other government services. Having scofflaws that can afford to pay their fines (rather than go to jail) actually helps us law-abiding citizens. In our state, for example, we have $124 fines for tickets given to people using a cellphone while driving. The money goes to:

$44.78 to state public safety and education
$44.43 to the city or county where the ticket was given, for police/court/prosecution
$17 for the court computer records system maintenance
$10 into an auto theft prevention fund
$5 for a hospital emergency medical account to help people with no insurance
$2 to a traumatic brain injury account
$0.79 to the city or county to help crime victims
Hmmmm........there is a big problem here IMHO.

It's a long story, but I will cut it short.......

If there are behaviors we MUST institute, they can be done without having people with guns and tasers creating road hazards and also looking for other "crimes" at the same time.

Example - Cell phones already broadcast emergencies. It would be a simply matter for them to not work in a moving car within X inches of the steering wheel. It would be a simple matter for every car to be equipped with breath tubes to prove lack of drinking...

Behavior can be learned without subjecting citizens to stops and threat of violence (Police have to be heavily armed because the populace is, and so on).....

I don't think it helps you law abiding citizens...you may not be thinking out the chain far enough. OK, so single mom who is barely making it and working two jobs at $12 a hour is between jobs and checking on her family or a sick relative. She is too poor to have a car with Appleplay, etc.

Your "solution" is that this person who doesn't even have the money to eat property......should pay about 15 hours of wages (after taxes) to "help" the good citizens. That is cruel.

If we as a society don't want cars to speed, this tech can be implemented easily. Same with drunk or buzzed driving, cell phone use and even a radio that is too loud.

But we surely don't need people with guns stopping cars to do things the old fashioned way. This is akin to being stopped on the MASS Pike because I don't have a toll responded. No.....they don't do that. You get an invoice in the mail and it's not too high either. No Police involved.

Old Today, 03:47 PM

47,119 posts, read 34,575,099 times
Parents allow their under 13-year-old child access to youtube.

The child sees ad for Fruit Loops and is permanently damaged

Old Today, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think what you may be getting at - and Google is perhaps the smallest player in history at this point - is that White Collar Crime or misdeeds are "legal" in this country and it's always best to shoot first and ask questions later.

Let me give you a better example. Rick Scott and friends were involved in one of the biggest Frauds against the US Government and Taxpayers in history. Literally many billions of dollars stolen from us...let alone the "legal" things he and his company did to rip us off.

His Boss (the former CEO of that health care firm) retired with a BILLION dollars. Now, where does that BILLION come from. Rick's company paid a 500 Million dollar fine (or something like that)...puts google to shame, right?

Well, firstly, that fine came from where? Did it come from the pockets of Scott and his friends? Nope - it came from the Frauds they perpetuated and the ripoffs (legal) of health care consumers.

For this most horrible act - Rick Scott was financed by his billionaire buddies and became Gov. of a large state. Then, for his destruction there, he was rewarded with a seat in the US Senate.

Perhaps you are looking at too small of a level???

You know that multi-billion dollar other health care fraud - Theramos? Well, guess who sat on the Board of Directors and tried to get the system (a complete fraud) adopted by the Pentagon?

Yep - Mad Dog Mathis. Yet he is the paragon of virtue, right?

Set your sights higher and you will see what this country is really about. Steal $200 and you'll go to jail. Steal two billion and you will be elected to high office.
I haven't read your second post in this thread but since you nailed this one I thought I'd stop and give you credit.

Team Blue has corporations nailed. That's never been a problem.

Team Blue can nail GOP politicians. That too has never been a problem.

Moving forward, just letting you know, the Rick Scott and Mathis schemes occur on Team Blue as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or