U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

581 posts, read 208,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nothing like a firearm to turn a moment of bad judgment into a perfect disaster.

Those statistics about a firearm in the house being more likely to cause harm to a family member? They're not made up.
Nicely put
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

25,846 posts, read 9,985,549 times
No charges to be filed. Even the State understood mens rea in this case. Hooray for a moment of clarity!

https://www.wfmj.com/story/41009190/...-shot-daughter

Quote:
Girard prosecutor Michael Scala issued a letter Thursday declining to file any charges, saying the incident did not rise to the level of a crime.

"The key question would be if the mother was negligent in not identifying her daughter before shooting. Based on the evidence of

1. The surprise visit

2. The night season and

3. mother living otherwise alone

I am declining to file this charge," Scala wrote. He also said the "castle doctrine" is a factor in the case. The castle doctrine is defined by the National Conference of State Legislatures as saying "individuals have the right to use reasonable force, including deadly force, to protect themselves against an intruder in their home."

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

367 posts, read 70,332 times
My boyfriend bought a gun after his house was broken into, and since then I've refused to let myself into his home, even though I have a key. I call him from outside the door and tell him I am there, and he lets me in. I won't spend the night either, unless he locks up the gun before we go to bed - I don't want to get shot because I got up to pee and startled him.

His feelings are a little hurt by this, as he feel certain he wouldn't accidentally shoot me. But I'm not willing to take the risk. You simply cannot guarantee what you'll do in a situation like that, with adrenaline racing and panic setting it.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

4,322 posts, read 4,122,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The daughter acted like an intruder. Her mistake. We dont read about what type of neighborhood it is, nor the crime stats as part of the story. If shes old enough for a boyfriend, shes old enough to know not to pull a stunt like this.

Years back I had a roommate in my house. I let him know I kept guns handy. I told him if he comes in late to not try to be extra quiet. Turn on lights downstairs and in the stairwell, waking me is ok. The most important thing is that I know its not an intruder. One night he tries to come in stealthily with some bar skank in tow. I damn near blew his head off as he ascended the stairs quietly and in total darkness. Fortunately, there was no accident involved that night.

Fast forward to now. When something goes bump in the night, I make sure my wife is next to me in bed. Then ascertain that my daughter is in her bed. Ill go quietly in the darkness through the rest of the house. Knowing for certain that my family is where they should be, anything/anyone else I find moving is getting shot without warning. I carry 35 rounds of hollowpoint and I have no intention of allowing anyone to escape once theyve entered my home uninvited.
When Mississippi passed their Castle Doctrine law, it clearly stated that the homeowner did not have to clearly identify who they were shooting at. They only needed to ensure that valid occupants of the home were accounted for.

My mother-in-law had a habit of showing up unannounced. It was annoying but I lived with it. I explained the new law to her and she laughed. I kept a serious expression and nothing else was said. A few days later she called to let us know she was coming. She called when she got into town. She called when she pulled up in the driveway. She loudly announced herself when she opened the back door.

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

9,735 posts, read 7,376,438 times
Reason #786,123 I will never have a gun in my home. Guns make households less safe.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,628,008 times
Quote:
From the article, late Friday night the daughter entered the home with her boyfriend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Thank God there was a good guy with a gun to nip that relationship in the bud.
Yup. Mom did the boyfriend a huge favor if he's smart enough to hop on the first train to Kalamazoo and ditch the crazee's. He's might be thinking what it would be like around that household at Thanksgiving when carving knives are within arms reach...

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,628,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
My boyfriend bought a gun after his house was broken into, and since then I've refused to let myself into his home, even though I have a key. I call him from outside the door and tell him I am there, and he lets me in. I won't spend the night either, unless he locks up the gun before we go to bed - I don't want to get shot because I got up to pee and startled him.

His feelings are a little hurt by this, as he feel certain he wouldn't accidentally shoot me. But I'm not willing to take the risk. You simply cannot guarantee what you'll do in a situation like that, with adrenaline racing and panic setting it.
Unsolicited Ann Landers advise:
If he's unwilling to put your not unreasonable fear about this above his desire to keep a handgun it's time to dump the clown. Just sayin'.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

22,811 posts, read 9,725,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
When i travelled 2000 miles to surpise my mom for thanksgiving, I still rang the doorbell, even though she didnt own a gun. Just didnt want to scare her by coming into the house unexpectedly. Its common sense.
People have been coming home unexpectedly for decades I can assure you. It does not usually result in homicide. I have not once heard--"I'm going to surprise mom--hope I don't get shot."

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

367 posts, read 70,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Unsolicited Ann Landers advise:
If he's unwilling to put your not unreasonable fear about this above his desire to keep a handgun it's time to dump the clown. Just sayin'.
Thank you, but he's fine. Like I said, his feelings are a little hurt but it isn't something we fight about. He does what I've asked in terms of locking it up when I'm there. I think once a little more time has passed since the break in he'll probably get rid it.

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

17,369 posts, read 13,998,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
People have been coming home unexpectedly for decades I can assure you. It does not usually result in homicide. I have not once heard--"I'm going to surprise mom--hope I don't get shot."
I'm just trying to picture an episode of Happy Days, where Marion blows a hole in a mischievous Joanie's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies