U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM

11,070 posts, read 6,545,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Unsolicited Ann Landers advise:
If he's unwilling to put your not unreasonable fear about this above his desire to keep a handgun it's time to dump the clown. Just sayin'.
I agree, someone needs to leave the relationship... I know what I'd be doing. C-Ya !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 PM

9,102 posts, read 2,683,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Ringing the doorbell (especially in daylight hours) would have been a better way to surprise.
That's stating the obvious, but someone had to say it.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:58 PM

15,697 posts, read 8,122,002 times
Glad the daughter is okay. I bet the mother was horrified and feels horrible.

She really should have yelled out "I have a gun" first. I'll note, I'm a lady and I have had someone come in the house before that startled me. I told them I have a gun and if they don't leave I'm going to shoot them. They left. This was years ago when we lived out in suburbia, which I only mention because often people we know believe we are crime victims because we now live in the inner city. Never had an issue in the inner city with people trying to rob my house. I have had people try to steal my car but not from my house.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:05 PM

1,866 posts, read 406,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
I am glad the daughter is ok

The mother should have called out "Who is that?" first!
Thank goodness for small favors. I can only imagine how the mother would have dealt with killing her own daughter.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 PM

911 posts, read 218,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
My boyfriend bought a gun after his house was broken into, and since then I've refused to let myself into his home, even though I have a key. I call him from outside the door and tell him I am there, and he lets me in. I won't spend the night either, unless he locks up the gun before we go to bed - I don't want to get shot because I got up to pee and startled him.

His feelings are a little hurt by this, as he feel certain he wouldn't accidentally shoot me. But I'm not willing to take the risk. You simply cannot guarantee what you'll do in a situation like that, with adrenaline racing and panic setting it.

My daughter had just moved into a new home with her new husband. She never liked guns. He did and had a few and showed her how to use one. One early morning he went off to work. This was around 6am. She was still in bed. She thought she heard something in the living room. She got out of bed and when she got to the living room there was a guy standing there staring at her. He was wearing a black ski mask, black jacket, black pants, and black boots and gloves.

She was in a t-shirt holding a loaded Ruger Mini-14 right at his chest. We figured the guy had seen her husband go off to work. If she would have had to have spent the time getting ammo and loading the gun it may have been too late. Your miles may vary.

I'm married now and both wife and I have a loaded gun near our bed in a drawer. They are simply another tool. If I was single and had a girlfriend that didn't want to hang out with me because of my loaded gun I would understand. Her feelings might get hurt but I won't be fumbling around for rounds when there is little time to waste. We turn lights on when one of us has to get up in the middle of the night.

If you have a well thought out plan there shouldn't be a problem. That girl and her mom learned the hard way. If she knew mom had a gun there's no excuse.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 PM

12,349 posts, read 18,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
My boyfriend bought a gun after his house was broken into, and since then I've refused to let myself into his home, even though I have a key. I call him from outside the door and tell him I am there, and he lets me in. I won't spend the night either, unless he locks up the gun before we go to bed - I don't want to get shot because I got up to pee and startled him.

His feelings are a little hurt by this, as he feel certain he wouldn't accidentally shoot me. But I'm not willing to take the risk. You simply cannot guarantee what you'll do in a situation like that, with adrenaline racing and panic setting it.
You really shouldn't be together with that nervous wreck of a boyfriend....or vice versa. Not healthy at all.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 PM

24,619 posts, read 12,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Daughter could have been a Darwin candidate.

This doesn't take away from multiple cases where guns were used successfully in self defense, but mum needs to identify target first before blasting away. And these days no one has any business trying to 'surprise' someone like that in their home.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-...225514706.html
Love a story proving guns save lvies-- oops - sorry -- missed the daughter part.

Im out on this discussion.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:28 PM

24,619 posts, read 12,859,740 times
Do we know for sure the mom didn't want to shoot her daughter and knew EXACTLY what she was doing?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM

21,082 posts, read 9,100,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The daughter was acting like an intruder. Her fault. Very unfortunate in any case, but she brought this on by her behavior sneaking in like that knowing that mom wasn’t expecting it.
Oh please, this is her home. She should be able to come home without her mom reacting like she did.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 PM

14,136 posts, read 7,702,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please, this is her home. She should be able to come home without her mom reacting like she did.
She was living away at college and was sneaking in the house to surprise her mom late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies