Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:10 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
No, she should’ve put a bullet right between her daughter’s eyes. Collateral damage for a righteous cause: making sure that paranoid, trigger-happy people are safe from their own families.
Wow, what a disgusting thing to say. Glad you are anti firearm, with the complete lack of logic, and over emotion, you are the exact type of person that shouldn't have a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’m a mom and my first thought be if it’s one of my kids -before I go firing a weapon. My sons surprised me all the time - all had a key.
As someone here wrote they can surprise you by ringing the doorbell. I tell all my adult kids to knock on the door or ring the doorbell. Calling ahead of time isn’t enough. I was awoken by someone downstairs one early morning. I thought it was an intruder. It was my son. He came unannounced and had a key. I didn’t know he had a key. Anyway from now on nobody comes in unannounced except intruders.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow, what a disgusting thing to say. Glad you are anti firearm, with the complete lack of logic, and over emotion, you are the exact type of person that shouldn't have a gun.
Whoa whoa, slow your roll. I’m not anti-gun, I’m a utilitarian. If the price of freedom is a few dead loved ones here and there, so be it. The price of making sure guns are easily accessible is that sometimes innocent people get shot for no good reason. Shrug.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Glad the outcome wasn't more serious. I put more of the blame here on the daughter, especially if she knew that her mother owned a firearm. You don't up and surprise someone that you know owns a firearm. Thankfully, the daughter didn't pay with her life this time.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Glad the outcome wasn't more serious. I put more of the blame here on the daughter, especially if she knew that her mother owned a firearm. You don't up and surprise someone that you know owns a firearm. Thankfully, the daughter didn't pay with her life this time.
Chances are she will never do that again. I’m guessing it’ll be a phone call plus a heavy knock on the door or doorbell. Hi mom! It’s me! Surprise!

Old 09-06-2019, 12:46 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Various sources that are competitors to city-data that aren't allowed, but you can google.

FBI should be OK? Lists 19 violent crimes.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._city_2012.xls
I only asked because I couldn't find newer information on Girard. The latest data I found was from 2013. That's from 2012. I was just curious because most jurisdictions report annually for funding purposes. I think they may have stopped reporting which is pretty bizarre.

Anyway, I grew up about 15 miles from there and while it's not horribly bad in Girard (it's all relative I suppose) there has been a real uptick in burglaries and theft in recent years. Mostly to fuel opioid addicts. In fact, a Girard police officer was killed two years ago less than a mile from where this incident happened after receiving a domestic call. The perp was all messed up on a drugs and alcohol. Out of his mind. The slain officer's partner ended up killing the perp.

In any event, the poster you responded to was mentioning big cities with massive crime problems and Girard obviously doesn't fit that bill even if we take my anecdotal crime narrative at face value (I have no stats and no longer live in northeast Ohio...just saying). It's a dumpy rust belt town which are a dime a dozen in that area.

There's still no excuse for how this woman handled the weapon though. That's not up for debate. I don't care where you live you have to exercise sound judgement in those situations. I'm obviously pro-property rights so I'm not taking either side. She was stupid but property rights will always be absolute. It's a terrible accident. Luckily no one was killed.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:05 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
When you are in your home, it's always customary to announce your presence by name and honorific, in cases where the home guards are not present for any reason, and then formally asking for permission before opening the door and then thereby entering. All this could have been prevented.
Are you serious?

Old 09-06-2019, 03:37 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
It's too bad that the daughter or her boyfriend were not packing heat. That mom had it coming.

/snarcasm

Old 09-06-2019, 05:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Daughter could have been a Darwin candidate.

This doesn't take away from multiple cases where guns were used successfully in self defense, but mum needs to identify target first before blasting away. And these days no one has any business trying to 'surprise' someone like that in their home.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-...225514706.html

Sounds like an episode of "Sisters" where Swoosie Kurtz, after being mugged, goes full swoon in security from a home system, personal defence trainer, and of course, a gun. One night, the AI house security system is advising her that an intruder is in the house and is coming up the stairs to the bedroom. She gets out her gun, the intruder is getting closer and closer and.......she almost ends up shooting daughter Ashley Judd as she sneaks into the house. So away goes the gun and the security system......have to remember this was an NBC series and we all know where NBC stands on these issues.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:23 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Daughter could have been a Darwin candidate.

This doesn't take away from multiple cases where guns were used successfully in self defense, but mum needs to identify target first before blasting away. And these days no one has any business trying to 'surprise' someone like that in their home.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-...225514706.html
"When her daughter opened her mom’s bedroom door, the mother fired a single shot"

When you enter a persons BEDROOM in the middle of the night UNEXPECTED, don't be surprised for something "bad" TO HAPPEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies