U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

13,998 posts, read 8,796,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Funny how you presumed he was talking about Trump. LOL
The fact that he has continuously referred to Trump as an idiot gave us a clue.
We're clever like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

9,741 posts, read 6,450,126 times
What could possibly go wrong with that!

Old Today, 01:56 AM

12,378 posts, read 4,223,483 times
Will AI have the common sense of Lieutenant Colonel Stanislav Petrov, who prevented a nuclear war in 1983, when the Russian Oko nuclear early-warning system reported that a missile had been launched from the United States, followed by up to five more.

Petrov judged the reports to be a false alarm and his decision to disobey orders, against Soviet military protocol,]is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the Soviet satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned.

Stanislav Petrov - Wikipedia

Old Today, 02:03 AM

34,789 posts, read 42,015,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
IMO not a good idea.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

13,467 posts, read 4,619,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The decision to launch missiles should never be removed from human control.

During the cold war there were several false alarms where automated monitoring systems detected inbound missiles and it was only human intervention and understanding of the situation that prevented a counter attack (or what they thought would have been a counter attack, really would have been an initial attack) from being launched.
Exactly

Old Today, 07:49 AM

11,266 posts, read 2,943,515 times
It may not happen today, tomorrow, or next month....but it WILL happen eventually I think.

For those old people like I am, looking back, whoever thought one day we would have online banking?!! I remember people worrying about hackers, going in and stealing money, adding 'zeros' to their accounts, etc...turns out though, online banking has been pretty secure and successful, for the most part.

Old Today, 07:59 AM

846 posts, read 411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It may not happen today, tomorrow, or next month....but it WILL happen eventually I think.
After seven decades, people still do not understand the purpose of strategic weapons. Successful strategic weapons are never used, their use would be proof that the underlying strategy is flawed.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

52,627 posts, read 42,287,468 times
I just have this funny image in my head now of Allen Iverson sitting in some bunker in Montana with his finger on the button.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

5,022 posts, read 1,413,719 times
I'm ready for our robot overlords. Perhaps I can curry favor by turning in the leaders of the human resistance. I should at least get a premium cell at the human zoo.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

25,822 posts, read 9,977,626 times
I'm told in here all the time that my property rights are not absolute. I'm not allowed to own nuclear weapons (plus many other weapons and other items of property) because I'm not a government.

Well, if this is what the omnipotent government wants who are we to question master?

I guess those who deride me will just have to shut their pie holes and accept it. Me? I get to b*tch all I want about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or