U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM

9,960 posts, read 7,481,331 times

Advertisements

So Diaper Donnie uses a sharpie to change a weather report (a federal offense, and something befitting of a 2 YO) and your comment is to blame "the liberal media" (you mean like Fox and WSJ, both of which reported on Sharpiegate?). Why am I not surprised?

When Trump said "I could shoot someone on Fifth Ave. and not lose any support" he was absolutely right. I have zero doubt the media would be blamed for reporting on Donnie shooting someone.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM

13,405 posts, read 13,764,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No that's not what I said and I'm quite sure you understand what I said so stop twisting.
That's exactly what you said. You didn't answer what other sources people get their hurricane information from, but even if the reality was that they got it from local news, Twitter, the Alabama National Guard, social media, CNN, Alex Jones or a psychic, none of those people or platforms have any information that NOAA and NHC didn't create. You don't go to a podiatrist when you have a heart attack.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:37 AM

22,970 posts, read 9,848,168 times
Quote:
Not the same. When I have been told for days a monster storm is coming my way and may turn or not turn, I look at all the possibilities.
Exactly. I don't know if you live in hurricane country, but I can tell you this.

When an official source sends out notice that you are getting hit by a hurricane--everything changes.

It is the priority. Everyone leaves work, businesses plan to close, flights are screwed up, you fight the panicked crowds to get groceries, supplies, batteries, water, flashlights, plywood, cash and gas--and anything else you might need if you are without power for a week.

Then if you don't have impact proof windows, you have to think about putting shutters or plywood over the windows. And you know what? It is a lot of work and expense. Every county and school goes into hurricane emergency mode, because this is not something you can do at the last minute.

All this, in addition to the anxiety of worrying about how bad the storm will be, as it is ridiculously hyped by the media and now the president is in on the act, too. He was not a 'calming' presence either--he was the obnoxious guy next door jumping up and down who keeps talking about the storm being a 'monster' and just gets people more worried.

It is not a fun time. When an official (which I believe even this president is) advises you are going to get hit-- you go into hurricane mode. So do you see why it is irresponsible and stupid for the president to be tweeting out fake forecasts and alarming everyone in a state over nothing? And sorry, but yes, it was a FAKE forecast, as it was old and discarded.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 11,113,044 times
Quote:
OK.....I haven't really been following their accuracy past FL. They were mostly wrong on FL until the last minute.

But, hey no one is criticizing them for blowing out Labor Day and all the other economic impacts of their inaccurate forecast.
Did you see anyone from NWS pull out fake maps after the fact to defend their egos?

That's the difference. And through all your spin and deflection, that's what you reduce to: a person defending a guy who takes weather maps after the fact because they can't let go of petty ego grievances. You haven't addressed this core truth because you know you can't.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM

6,907 posts, read 3,252,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's exactly what you said. You didn't answer what other sources people get their hurricane information from, but even if the reality was that they got it from local news, Twitter, the Alabama National Guard, social media, CNN, Alex Jones or a psychic, none of those people or platforms have any information that NOAA and NHC didn't create. You don't go to a podiatrist when you have a heart attack.
That is not what I said.

Most people get their info from different/multiple places.

Listening to a local meteorologist with 15-20 years experience in FL reporting on hurricanes interpret NOAA and NHC data is hardly making up stuff I want to believe.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:46 AM

8,400 posts, read 9,950,153 times
Thread backfire.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 AM

2,814 posts, read 938,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Liberals are so petty
Petty is being so insecure that you have to doctor a map with a sharpie, rather than admitting you were wrong, or just letting it go.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 AM

6,907 posts, read 3,252,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Exactly. I don't know if you live in hurricane country, but I can tell you this.

When an official source sends out notice that you are getting hit by a hurricane--everything changes.

It is the priority. Everyone leaves work, businesses plan to close, flights are screwed up, you fight the panicked crowds to get groceries, supplies, batteries, water, flashlights, plywood, cash and gas--and anything else you might need if you are without power for a week.

Then if you don't have impact proof windows, you have to think about putting shutters or plywood over the windows. And you know what? It is a lot of work and expense. Every county and school goes into hurricane emergency mode, because this is not something you can do at the last minute.

All this, in addition to the anxiety of worrying about how bad the storm will be, as it is ridiculously hyped by the media and now the president is in on the act, too. He was not a 'calming' presence either--he was the obnoxious guy next door jumping up and down who keeps talking about the storm being a 'monster' and just gets people more worried.

It is not a fun time. When an official (which I believe even this president is) advises you are going to get hit-- you go into hurricane mode. So do you see why it is irresponsible and stupid for the president to be tweeting out fake forecasts and alarming everyone in a state over nothing? And sorry, but yes, it was a FAKE forecast, as it was old and discarded.
Please......while I agree with you on what happens I don't agree that anyone was alarmed by Trump saying it was a monster storm. Everyone was saying that.

I also don't think anyone in AL went into hurricane mode based on what Trump said.

Be honest, in all the preparation you described have you ever sat around waiting to see what a President was saying about a storm. I know I haven't. All I care about the President at that time is whether or not the Federal response is underway.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:54 AM

33,414 posts, read 17,114,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Did you see anyone from NWS pull out fake maps after the fact to defend their egos?

That's the difference. And through all your spin and deflection, that's what you reduce to: a person defending a guy who takes weather maps after the fact because they can't let go of petty ego grievances. You haven't addressed this core truth because you know you can't.
"If the facts aren't in your favor, argue the law.
If he law isn't in your favor, argue the facts.
If neither is in your favor, bang the lectern."

The Trumpista have been fully engaged in arguing that there was, too, a non-zero risk of Alabama being grazed two days before Trump opened his yap, hence he's fully vindicated.

Everybody else has long since realized that Trump didn't have a clue, and they're finding his and their attempt at spin much more interesting. When is the last time a sharpie-doctored weather map was introduced at a press conference?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:57 AM

23,848 posts, read 11,839,088 times
Quote:
OK.....I haven't really been following their accuracy past FL. They were mostly wrong on FL until the last minute.

But, hey no one is criticizing them for blowing out Labor Day and all the other economic impacts of their inaccurate forecast.
You cant live in Florida and then claim they were wrong. thats more or less shows you dont understand how hurricane work.

The cone is an average of about 25 models based on stirring patterns, high pressure, water temp and so on.

they update the cone and all the models as things change, so the only way you can really say they were wrong if the thing had turned around and gone back over PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies