U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 AM
 
10,063 posts, read 2,477,022 times
Reputation: 4996

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Watch, you're going to get people claiming that because it was hotter in a couple places it means the entire globe was. ...
That doesn't make any sense.

There are always hotter and cooler areas. What matters is the global average. If a calorie of heat energy is in one place it cannot be in another. What matters is the accumulated global total, which rises over time and is continually redistributed.

We have seen that this year. North America was relatively cool for part of the summer while at the same time most of Asia was roasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:30 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 989,808 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So you're saying 3 years ago was even hotter? Yeah, that would totally disprove recent global warming!! It was 3 whole years ago!!!
..in your mind....I didn't say anything except the facts

But, since you want to go down that road....

0.07 degrees in 3 years is 0.023 degrees warming a year

..and their claimed rate of warming is 0.057 degrees a year

So in spite of the developing world increasing CO2 emissions many times over....
...the rate of global warming has decreased by half

---------

But that still doesn't change the fact that they claim 0.07 degrees....and their margin of error is over twice that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 AM
 
5,157 posts, read 2,071,637 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
1936 was the hottest July on record in the United States.

2019 is the hottest July on record, world-wide.

The USA is 6% of the world's land surface; barely a blip.
That's not it... even NOAA and GISS acknowledge the 1936 values measure global temps.

Now, if you could show that the data from 1936 measured temps to three significant figures to the right of the decimal point, "warmest evah" might mean something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,201 posts, read 13,664,061 times
Reputation: 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..in your mind....I didn't say anything except the facts

But, since you want to go down that road....

0.07 degrees in 3 years is 0.023 degrees warming a year

..and their claimed rate of warming is 0.057 degrees a year

So in spite of the developing world increasing CO2 emissions many times over....
...the rate of global warming has decreased by half

---------

But that still doesn't change the fact that they claim 0.07 degrees....and their margin of error is over twice that
Why would you assume a steady rate increase? That would be a bad assumption. The warming is not linear. Furthermore, you can't seriously be making the claim that since 2016 MAY have been warmer because of the MOE in 2019's figure, that global warming is not happening. Again, warming wouldn't be steady year to year. Some years would be colder, others warmer. It is the long-term average that we're talking about, which is also not linear. Whether 2016 or 2019 was *slightly* warmer is irrelevant to the bigger picture. You're pushing bad math and bad science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:49 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 989,808 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why would you assume a steady rate increase? That would be a bad assumption. The warming is not linear. Furthermore, you can't seriously be making the claim that since 2016 MAY have been warmer because of the MOE in 2019's figure, that global warming is not happening. Again, warming wouldn't be steady year to year. Some years would be colder, others warmer. It is the long-term average that we're talking about, which is also not linear. Whether 2016 or 2019 was *slightly* warmer is irrelevant to the bigger picture. You're pushing bad math and bad science.
..how many strawmen can you put in one post?

I didn't assume anything, didn't claim global warming is not happening, didn't say it was steady, and could not even do the math without a long term average

...and I'm posting their math, using their numbers

They claim July hottest month ever....by 0.07 degrees...and their margin of error is over twice that

It's only "bad math" because you don't like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,201 posts, read 13,664,061 times
Reputation: 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..how many strawmen can you put in one post?

I didn't assume anything, didn't claim global warming is not happening, didn't say it was steady, and could not even do the math without a long term average

...and I'm posting their math, using their numbers

They claim July hottest month ever....by 0.07 degrees...and their margin of error is over twice that

It's only "bad math" because you don't like it
Then you really have no point. All you could've said was that 2016 may have been hotter based on the MOE and that would've been fine, but you clearly wrote that post as an attempt to dismiss the record completely. If you're going to act all "who me" now, at least be convincing at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 989,808 times
Reputation: 2062
LOL...I'm the one with bad math and have no point

I clearly wrote that post to point out that their claim "July hottest ever"....was 7/100th of a degree warmer than the old record...and they claim an exact number...when their margin of error is twice as big as the number they claim

...the rest of it is all in your mind...because you don't like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Seattle
1,477 posts, read 316,049 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
That's not it... even NOAA and GISS acknowledge the 1936 values measure global temps.
If that is true, you should be able to prove it with reliable records. From what I can tell, the NOAA finding only applies to the US. For now I'll assume you're just making it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_N...ican_heat_wave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
18,223 posts, read 11,514,693 times
Reputation: 38553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are so right. And that is why people talk about global warming and not United States warming. But what is the point. We know for a fact that man made global warming is taking place. If a few neanderthals don't want to accept that, so be it. It's not worth arguing with them.





I think that is the bottom line. There is always going to be a certain segment of the population who go contrary to reality, we just have to ignore them and continue on without them. We see these types all the time, "Sandy Hook never happened, or Bill and Hillary ran a pizza shop porn ring !"

They remind me of the people who stood on the shore when Columbus got back from his boat ride, and who were saying he had to be lying because everyone knows the earth is flat !

Climate change deniers are their present day counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM
 
Location: bold new city of the south
5,446 posts, read 4,376,285 times
Reputation: 6458
Default It's official; 1936 was the hottest July on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Contrary to the NYT fake news. And NOAA data proves it.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uMldKLR0Vwc
The Earth has existed for 4.5 Billion years, NOAA has kept temperatures since 1880 (140 years doesn't seem that long), and we have had at least 5 Ice Ages. My questions are; Who do we blame for the previous Ice Ages, and isn't ''the hottest ANYTHING we have actually recorded'' totally bogus?

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...ture-1880-2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top