U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 PM

49,468 posts, read 46,282,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
If Rhodesia was one of the greatest nations ever conceived in modern history then that country will still exist, but it ended up as a failed state.

Rhodesia ended up like the failed pure Aryan colony in Nueva Germania which is in South America.
I am convinced that many people who want "Rhodesia" to come, they want it because they want to see a society where Black people have no say. I'm not in favor of how Mugabe ran Zimbabwe. He did alot of horrible things. I am also against Rhodesia. Rhodesia was no better. Some people just want that kind of society where Whites are on top and Blacks are expected to take a subservient role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 01:23 AM

392 posts, read 120,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am convinced that many people who want "Rhodesia" to come, they want it because they want to see a society where Black people have no say. I'm not in favor of how Mugabe ran Zimbabwe. He did alot of horrible things. I am also against Rhodesia. Rhodesia was no better. Some people just want that kind of society where Whites are on top and Blacks are expected to take a subservient role.
Well, many people that never been to Rhodesia have those beliefs. They have a nostalgia of many who believe society was better and more morally better in a society where Blacks knew their place. A life where Blacks and whites supposed to live in Separate but Equal, however, this was never practised as the Whites living standards far exceded the Blacks and Government spending was much higher for a White person than a Black person.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:21 AM

7,974 posts, read 2,598,520 times
Quote:
It's closer to 55, but it isn't 30. And the country with the world's lowest life expectancy is Eswatini, 49 years. Only countries in warzones rank lower.
Itís 60 for women, 55 for men. Itís low but not 30, as the other poster claimed.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:22 AM

22,125 posts, read 14,819,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Arguably one of the worst transitions from colonialism in modern history.
Yup.
Mugabe did good things for his country in a very, very bad way.

The survivors got the good, the victims got the bad. That's how he stayed in power for so long. Once the survivors started becoming victims, he was finally kicked out.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:33 AM

464 posts, read 69,680 times
Quote:
Well, many people that never been to Rhodesia have those beliefs. They have a nostalgia of many who believe society was better and more morally better in a society where Blacks knew their place. A life where Blacks and whites supposed to live in Separate but Equal, however, this was never practised as the Whites living standards far exceded the Blacks and Government spending was much higher for a White person than a Black person.
Even in African countries run by Africans, White people live better and at higher standards than their fellow black Africans.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 AM

1,900 posts, read 466,263 times
I founded this article by luck, China was very close to Zimbabwe.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...ars-unwavering
Quote:
Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s former strongman who has died at the age of 95, might not receive glowing tributes from the West. But with condolences from China and other African leaders, he may rest in peace. His successor, President Emmerson Mnangagwa, confirmed Mugabe’s death in a Singapore hospital on Friday.

For close to half a century, China and Mugabe’s Zimbabwe enjoyed an unmatched camaraderie, until maintaining those ties became almost untenable for Beijing.
China described Mugabe as an “outstanding leader of the national liberation movement and statesman” who firmly defended the country’s sovereignty, as African leaders termed him a “liberator” and “pan-Africanist”, while some media called him a “tyrant”.

In his condolence message, Chinese President Xi Jinping said China had “lost an old friend and a good friend” and wanted to foster cooperation with Zimbabwe, according to state broadcaster CCTV.
And I saw this quote who could have fit Mugabe:
Quote:
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,851,011 times
Quote:
Exactly. A lot of (reactionary, revanchist white) people forget that if the British did their job to block the white settlers' land grabs during the colonial era and in particular, the UDI, a lot of the awful stuff that Mugabe did much later would not have come to pass. Or even play a role after 1980.

Don't forget - the land confiscations didn't happen until 20 years after Zimbabwe became an independent state. The British pretty much stalled on the land reform needs or ignored it...until push came to shove.

Ian Smith and his minions can go stuff it.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:45 AM

5,032 posts, read 1,042,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Even in African countries run by Africans, White people live better and at higher standards than their fellow black Africans.
Like in Nigeria right? Which is one of the largest growing economies in Africa.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I suspect that is the case. I haven't seen anyone say it out lound and bluntly. However, there are individuals saying things hinting towards such. The persons making such comments have never expressed any desire to go to Zimbabwe. I think they just want Blacks to "know their place". And it is well-known that "separate but equal" has never been equal. It was never meant to be equal. It was meant to keep Blacks in a position of subservience and being looked down on. In the era of Rhodesia, Blacks were limited in where they could buy land (if they could afford it). If they wanted to live in the cities, they could only live in certain areas, namely the townships. Blacks got far less than Whites did under the rule of Rhodesia. And this is likely what some of these bigots want.

I do not like what Robert Mugabe did. What he did to White farmers in Zimbabwe, I would have never done that if I was in charge. My thing would be "Zimbabwe for all who are still here, let's build this country together, the way it should be, fairness and equality for all, everybody gets the same rights, and we make sure everyone has the opportunity to succeed in Zimbabwe". When Rhodesia became Zimbabwe, Mugabe had the opportunity to make Zimbabwe a shining jewel of what an African nation could be, for all of its citizens. He failed to do that. He did so many horrible things in Zimbabwe. I'm aware of the bad he did. At the same time, the bigots who also say how bad Mugabe was, I think they get off on that. They only bring up Mugabe to back of their belief in the idea of "Whites should rule African countries and Blacks should just know their place".

Old 09-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Itís 60 for women, 55 for men. Itís low but not 30, as the other poster claimed.
Indeed. Zimbabwe has alot of work to do. At the same time, saying that it's 30 is just an idiot move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or