U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,666 posts, read 11,726,191 times
Reputation: 4391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's the very definition of detracting. you refuse to address the thread topic until someone calls out some made-up nonsense that you insist they call out? that's dictionary-level detracting.
You know what, you are right, it is detracting. I have a problem with hypocrites.



Quote:
quick tip: throwing up lies is not calling out hypocrisy.
No lies were thrown up.




Quote:
this right here was a lie. you have failed to show otherwise after a considerable number of posts:
You seem to not understand the difference between a lie and something being unproven. but even that argument doesnt work here since you post enough here to see the hypocrisy of what you support.

You dont help anyone by claiming you have never seen anyone on the right argue for segregation on this forum.

My guess is you arent that naive and you are going to make the "post it or I will ignore it" argument rather than simply saying this is about Mrs, HIll, not the crazy right wingers who post here.


Quote:
well, you have a point there. you're refusing to own your own words. is that better?
I didnt refuse to own anything.



Quote:
i didn't say anything about 'democratic plantation' so i still don't know what you're babbling about. your example yesterday was not 'calling out hypocrisy' - it was (yet again) making up a whattaboutism claim with no basis in fact.
Not once have I said "you personally said". I said people in this forum.

And no, whataboutism is not what I did yesterday. whataboutism is justification. I have never justified black segregation from either side.

My argument is that if you truly care, you would call out all who do it, not just one side. Your argument has been to claim you have never seen it ever posted on this site from the right. Not sure why you think anyone would believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,351 posts, read 37,090,938 times
Reputation: 39243
They should also make the Black athletes pass all the tests and maintain all the grades other students must maintain also.

This goes for all athletes.

There would be a lot of unemployed black college dropouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
9,837 posts, read 7,444,846 times
Reputation: 8506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know what percentage of scholarship college athletes graduate with a 4 year college degree.

I can't imagine the NFL cutting colleges out of this incredibly lucrative resource, that is basically free to the college. Offering a free ride doesn't cost the school much, at all.

This article I read followed one second tier football player, full scholarship, but he wasn't a starter. He often went to bed hungry - literally - because the dining halls closed while he was still at practice and he had no money at all for food. And that was acknowledged, so accommodations were made for athletes to have late dining hall hours. Because yes, the University agreed, these students don't have any money to go to McDonalds, yet the university is bankrolling itself off their abilities/sweat.

The thing that chapped me the very most, was when a university trademarked jersey goes on the market with a specific athlete's name on the back, the athlete gets not one penny from that sale.

I can see why the athletes would start to think they were still back on the plantation. Seems like indentured servitude.
I think you need to go find and link this article, and re-read it.

I'm pretty sure they don't put the names on jerseys that are sold - just the number.

Now, SHOULD the athlete's get a cut? Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
 
10,267 posts, read 7,001,359 times
Reputation: 4286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I legitimately can not tell if this is a troll account or not. If this person is serious they need to seek psychiatric help immediately.

I am as serious as I can be. Mathematically or logically.....tell me how you turn an inequality into an equality without targeted discrimination? You cannot create equality from inequality by treating each side the same. If there is 10 on one side and 7 on the other side, allowing both sides to add the same amount will never close the gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,081,572 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am as serious as I can be. Mathematically or logically.....tell me how you turn an inequality into an equality without targeted discrimination? You cannot create equality from inequality by treating each side the same. If there is 10 on one side and 7 on the other side, allowing both sides to add the same amount will never close the gap.
The problem is previously those on the side with 7 were barred from opportunities to earn the additional three. So you remove the barriers from those with 7, you don’t place more barriers on those with 10.

Removing barriers means both sides end up with 10, for a total of 20. Adding barriers means both sides end up with 7, for a total of 14. And those at the top laugh all the way to the bank because we used segregation to bring everyone down. But hey, now no more inequality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
 
10,267 posts, read 7,001,359 times
Reputation: 4286
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
The problem is previously those on the side with 7 were barred from opportunities to earn the additional three. So you remove the barriers from those with 7, you don’t place more barriers on those with 10.

Removing barriers means both sides end up with 10, for a total of 20. Adding barriers means both sides end up with 7, for a total of 14. And those at the top laugh all the way to the bank because we used segregation to bring everyone down. But hey, now no more inequality.

Your logic would make sense if each generation born was totally disconnected from the previous generation in terms of life chances. Life and the generations are like a relay race......and not individual sprints. Each new generation gets handed the baton, via birth, from the position that the previous generation was in. Thus, if the previous generation was behind in the race, due to unfairness, the generation that they give birth to will inherit that disadvantaged starting position.



If each generation was a sprint, each generation born would start out on the same starting line as everyone else. There would be no inherited advantage or disadvantage of class, environment, network, etc. Life is not an individual sprint, however, Its a relay. If you make life difficult for the parents......you have made life more difficult for their offspring relative to the offspring of those who did not have the same degree or kind of difficulties.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; Yesterday at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,909 posts, read 6,632,432 times
Reputation: 12478
Quite frankly, though I don't like her rationale, if black athletes (or blacks in general) wanted to leave predominately white schools, I wouldn't condemn them for it. Many people will criticize black people they don't anything about at these predominately white schools as being "affirmative action admits"; hell, I attended an Ivy League school and I heard it, too. That is unless you're an athlete, which is the only time that some on campus seem to be ok with you being there. You won't have to deal with such on predominately black campuses. Now, I don't believe that "segregation" is the way to go, but it shouldn't be looked at as segregation from one side only. Indeed, whites who attend white schools aren't seen as self segregating, even though there are non white schools throughout the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
 
Location: The South
407 posts, read 484,677 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Football and basketball generate millions for these schools with most being predominantly black. Why shouldn’t they take their resources to an HBCU?? Per the article, institutions were fine with keeping blacks out until they saw the west coast schools winning with black players.
.

I agree with her. Guess how those majority white schools treat the normal black who aren't helping to fill up the football stadium?

Those black athletes should take there talents to HBCU's and let them rake in the money. Why help Ole Miss make money when the town still calls you the N word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
 
326 posts, read 59,146 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Some advice is spectacularly terrible, especially for the 98% black athletes that will never even get a whiff of a pro contract and will do a weird thing: Rely on their degree from a well respected university.
What degree? Most can't even spell their name and only got passed along since high school because they had an aptitude for sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
 
13,475 posts, read 4,093,729 times
Reputation: 4015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I legitimately can not tell if this is a troll account or not. If this person is serious they need to seek psychiatric help immediately.
I think the poster is real. He scapegoats whites for any and all black outcomes he doesn't like. That's not really anything new. Democrats and black folks have been doing that more or less for at least the past 60 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top