U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM

4,491 posts, read 1,153,282 times

Advertisements

I've wondered for a while now - well before I ever heard her suggestion - why do so many amazing black athletes go to Alabama or all the SEC schools in states where lynchings used to occur, or moreover, that are really hard "red" states politically.

It would kind of make sense that they would not want to be in the Deep South for a variety of reasons or to line the pockets of universities and economies from "red" states. Maybe these idiotic athletes aren't forward-thinking enough?

On the other hand, I am certain that Nick Saban and the like have been paying their players for forever. I think there is so much grease involved with the whole NCAA (particularly football and basketball) situation it kind of turns my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:03 AM

23,674 posts, read 11,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So I say that standards for admission are lower for athletes which was how the UCLA admission scam was being worked and you say it's not true that they have lower standards of admission?
I said more than that because the issue is far more complex, but you didnt quote the rest now did you ???

Old Today, 12:26 AM

23,674 posts, read 11,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what you're doing. you're not even addressing the point made in the OP
Im saying you and the OP are hypocrites, not that im ok with anyone being a segragationist. Do you acknowledge that ?

Old Today, 12:33 AM

16,053 posts, read 13,834,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I've wondered for a while now - well before I ever heard her suggestion - why do so many amazing black athletes go to Alabama or all the SEC schools in states where lynchings used to occur, or moreover, that are really hard "red" states politically.

It would kind of make sense that they would not want to be in the Deep South for a variety of reasons or to line the pockets of universities and economies from "red" states. Maybe these idiotic athletes aren't forward-thinking enough?

On the other hand, I am certain that Nick Saban and the like have been paying their players for forever. I think there is so much grease involved with the whole NCAA (particularly football and basketball) situation it kind of turns my stomach.
Yea, so due to something happening in the past, and long ago dealt with, people should use such things as a basis for decisions that will have a life long impact? Makes sense, lol.

They go to these programs because they are the top programs with the top coaching staff. This gives them the best possibility of going into the professional leagues, or even joining the staff of the professional leagues.

To say someone should choose the University of Maine over Alabama because years ago Alabama had some lynching is ridiculous. If that is your standard, I can find something negative about every state and every country in the world.

Old Today, 06:23 AM

6,005 posts, read 1,626,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm too lazy to look up all of this but there is a move on many colleges and university to have separate housing and separate areas for non-white people to go to as a "safe space" from white people.

I know here in the local So Cal area CSLA was doing this.

This is being brought on and requested by non-white people.

Can you imagine the ****storm that would occur if white people were calling for this???

I find this repugnant and I don't care what flavor of person is calling for this. It's stupid, and not useful at all. It just drives a wedge between people is all it does.

Tribalism much??
Yes, the call for segregated 'safe spaces' on college campuses is a slap in the face of the civil rights era leaders and all those who fought for equal opportunity.

Old Today, 06:39 AM

4,491 posts, read 1,153,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yea, so due to something happening in the past, and long ago dealt with, people should use such things as a basis for decisions that will have a life long impact? Makes sense, lol.

They go to these programs because they are the top programs with the top coaching staff. This gives them the best possibility of going into the professional leagues, or even joining the staff of the professional leagues.

To say someone should choose the University of Maine over Alabama because years ago Alabama had some lynching is ridiculous. If that is your standard, I can find something negative about every state and every country in the world.
Well, according to the Left we are never to be forgiven for past sins - even sins of those we were never related to or even if we aren't descendant of people who even committed sins.

(But I think this standard is only to be applied to Anglos.)

As to going to Alabama, these athletes are r-tards if you ask me. If they were really intelligent they would be trying to get scholarships to the Ivies, not some SEC school. Even the best at Alabama aren't guaranteed a $100 million contract in the NFL. Granted I don't know how the Ivies structure scholarships (I've heard they don't even give them to athletes), but the point remains.

As I said, I am pretty much POSITIVE Saban and Calipari and all the college coach scum and paying all these players to go to their schools. I would bet everything i have on it.

Old Today, 06:48 AM

9,084 posts, read 7,879,847 times
If this writer really wanted to help, she could have advocated to changes making it easier for student athletes to stay in school and get their degree after they are done with their sport. A shocking number of these men do not leave with a degree. They focus on their sport, not school, and so receive very little for their playing efforts.

But instead, her article completely ignored what is best for the individuals. They are only pawns for her agenda, whatever that is.

Old Today, 06:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 7,463,618 times
Imagine if the USA focused on academics instead of sports. Crazy, I know.

Old Today, 07:05 AM

8,440 posts, read 2,468,192 times
she's an avowed racist. Only fellow racist pay her any attention.

Old Today, 07:58 AM

27,740 posts, read 19,456,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im saying you and the OP are hypocrites, not that im ok with anyone being a segragationist. Do you acknowledge that ?
no. i acknowledge that you are desperate to obfuscated and whattabout in order to not have to address the actual topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies