U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

25,853 posts, read 9,985,549 times

Advertisements

Only State agents, especially cops, should have guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 215,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Completely agree. Advanced tactical training like the military gets makes one feel more comfortable in high pressure scenarios which leads to calmer decision making and less trigger happy mistakes.

I'm simply pointing out that the training most police receive focuses more on tactical stuff and less on negotiation/deescalation, etc. Most of the mistakes police make involved the "I was scared for my life" type of excuse where the officer felt like pulling the trigger was his only choice. We need to increase the training for other types of conflict resolution to give them more and better choices.
Um, what?

Military people, especially ground combat troops, are more likely to inflict collateral damage with trigger happy fingers than cops. It doesn't help that they are all equipped with mass-casualty producing weapon of war.

Cops are armed with handguns. If they are lucky and have time to prepare, they might get to deploy their rifle or shotgun.

But what do i know?

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

1,222 posts, read 481,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKyEohJ6v7g

The corruption comes on fast and embeds itself deep, with a badge & a gun.
And it is these people, you only want to have guns.

False equivalency. There are more cops than mass shooters; a higher proportion of mass shooter victims are innocent bystanders; a higher proportion of victims of police shootings are criminals being pursued. C'mon, at least try.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

5,488 posts, read 2,918,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Um, what?

Military people, especially ground combat troops, are more likely to inflict collateral damage with trigger happy fingers than cops. It doesn't help that they are all equipped with mass-casualty producing weapon of war.

Cops are armed with handguns. If they are lucky and have time to prepare, they might get to deploy their rifle or shotgun.

But what do i know?
Um what?

I wasn’t referring to ground combat troops, I was referring to exactly what you referenced in your original post, cops who have received military level tactical training (which is much more comprehensive than standard police training).

It’s the basic principle of, when you are capable of more, you are more comfortable using less.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

10,936 posts, read 13,820,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
False equivalency. There are more cops than mass shooters; a higher proportion of mass shooter victims are innocent bystanders; a higher proportion of victims of police shootings are criminals being pursued. C'mon, at least try.
Not a fan of aggressive policing, the thin blue line, and the us vs them mentality of too many cops, but obviously the ops statistical argument has a plethora of holes in it.

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

1,341 posts, read 215,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Um what?

I wasnít referring to ground combat troops, I was referring to exactly what you referenced in your original post, cops who have received military level tactical training (which is much more comprehensive than standard police training).

Itís the basic principle of, when you are capable of more, you are more comfortable using less.
I spent 6 months in the police academy + qualify with my handgun 4 times a year

I spent 14 weeks for infantry OSUT (it's 22 weeks now) + qualify with my rifle once a year

Also, a lot of cops are veterans like myself.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

11,276 posts, read 2,946,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
That's good news for me; If I have an encounter with a LEO I'll be cooperative and the encounter will end peacefully. The far majority of those killed by LEOs would still be alive to day if they had simply cooperated with commands.
Are you a citizen or a subject?

Where would we be today as a society if all the black people in the south had just obeyed and complied with law enforcement in the south, decades ago? If Rosa Parks had simply moved to the back of the bus when police instructed her to do?

Today, Rosa parks is celebrated as a hero and patriot for refusing to comply.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

21,565 posts, read 10,391,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Are you a citizen or a subject?

Where would we be today as a society if all the black people in the south had just obeyed and complied with law enforcement in the south, decades ago? If Rosa Parks had simply moved to the back of the bus when police instructed her to do?

Today, Rosa parks is celebrated as a hero and patriot for refusing to comply.
Go ahead and be the dead hero who didn't comply. These cops are trigger-happy and aggressive. I'll pass.

Having said that, not everyone who ends up murdered by a cop is dead because they didn't comply. That's b.s.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 2,946,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Go ahead and be the dead hero who didn't comply. These cops are trigger-happy and aggressive. I'll pass.

Having said that, not everyone who ends up murdered by a cop is dead because they didn't comply. That's b.s.
Obedience and compliance are not the American way, heck, we became a free and separate nation due to a bunch of people REFUSING TO COMPLY and even resorting to violence, destruction of property, etc, etc.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies