U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
67,435 posts, read 34,379,274 times
Reputation: 14522

Advertisements


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKyEohJ6v7g




The corruption comes on fast and embeds itself deep, with a badge & a gun.
And it is these people, you only want to have guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
5,481 posts, read 2,918,679 times
Reputation: 4112
The problem is training.

Right now police receive lots of tactical training so their instinct is to shoot first and ask questions later.

They do not receive adequate training on deescalation and crisis management, negotiation, and other soft skills that can manage an encounter with a hostile person without needing to resort to deadly force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
 
2,225 posts, read 873,784 times
Reputation: 3117
The chances of either are statistically insignificant. Instead of falling for every red herring the government throws at us, perhaps we should focus on real problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
5,481 posts, read 2,918,679 times
Reputation: 4112
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The chances of either are statistically insignificant. Instead of falling for every red herring the government throws at us, perhaps we should focus on real problems.
Distrust of police is a real problem in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
67,435 posts, read 34,379,274 times
Reputation: 14522
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Distrust of police is a real problem in our society.
Every cop now, has an Us v. Them mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
 
Location: NNJ
9,837 posts, read 5,524,493 times
Reputation: 10787
I'll point out the obvious.

There are many more cops (good ones too) than mass shooters.

Mass shootings are kind of like Airplane crashes. Airplane crashes are tragic, media covered, dramatic..... in our daily lives, car crashes are far more common and people are more likely to die in a car crash than an airplane.

I do agree with this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The problem is training.

Right now police receive lots of tactical training so their instinct is to shoot first and ask questions later.

They do not receive adequate training on deescalation and crisis management, negotiation, and other soft skills that can manage an encounter with a hostile person without needing to resort to deadly force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
3,007 posts, read 2,904,037 times
Reputation: 2491
That's good news for me; If I have an encounter with a LEO I'll be cooperative and the encounter will end peacefully. The far majority of those killed by LEOs would still be alive to day if they had simply cooperated with commands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
 
100 posts, read 16,184 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
That's good news for me; If I have an encounter with a LEO I'll be cooperative and the encounter will end peacefully. The far majority of those killed by LEOs would still be alive to day if they had simply cooperated with commands.
End thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 215,687 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The problem is training.

Right now police receive lots of tactical training so their instinct is to shoot first and ask questions later.

They do not receive adequate training on deescalation and crisis management, negotiation, and other soft skills that can manage an encounter with a hostile person without needing to resort to deadly force.
and your experience is base on what??

Army vet with 2 tours in Iraq + 10 years in law enforcement here (3 out of 10 years as firearm/DT instructor)

Cops with advanced tactical training (whether it's from the military or in law enforcement) are less likely resort to deadly force. Police "tactical training" revolves around shoot or no shoot scenerios using human role players and virtual reality training/simulator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
5,481 posts, read 2,918,679 times
Reputation: 4112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
a
Cops with advanced tactical training (whether it's from the military or in law enforcement) are less likely resort to deadly force.
Completely agree. Advanced tactical training like the military gets makes one feel more comfortable in high pressure scenarios which leads to calmer decision making and less trigger happy mistakes.

I'm simply pointing out that the training most police receive focuses more on tactical stuff and less on negotiation/deescalation, etc. Most of the mistakes police make involved the "I was scared for my life" type of excuse where the officer felt like pulling the trigger was his only choice. We need to increase the training for other types of conflict resolution to give them more and better choices.

More advanced military style tactical training certainly could help to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top