U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,329 posts, read 10,362,740 times
Reputation: 7987

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why not? They’ve been around as a great power for more than 5000 years. You’re surprised by their long game?
And they were a sh! thole, poverty stricken, third world, communist country less than 50 years ago, back when everything was made here instead of there. It is our own fault. They were isolated from the global economy until Nixon brought them into the fold. We created our own biggest competitor. We should have left them living in the stone ages, but voters here were sold a bill of goods that globalism would somehow going to be be good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
 
237 posts, read 50,781 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Definitely a true analogy and the exact reason I would never let a guy like Trump near national policy here. He plays tic-tac-toe, not even a good game of checkers. He hold no cards and thinks that actual intelligent people (like the Chinese leadership) are going to bow to him like he's a celebrity (like some Americans do).

That's not the way the world works!

The thing about Chess is a great description because we could find MANY people who simply, no matter what you did, could never play a good chess game. Their mind does not work that far ahead....nor do the circuits connect.

Moreover, we not only need good Chess players for POTUS, but also for the many admin jobs and congress and business leaders and all the others who would be involved in making us competitive.

We are so far away from that - that we might as well not even talk about things in threads like this because the odds of the USA doing anything right are about zero. The Foundation is simply not there....and even if a decent POTUS got in (Yang, etc.) who knew how to play chess, the system would grind him down. There are vast institutions in the USA that don't want to do the best things for the country...rather they want to do the best thing for themselves.

Agreed...very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
 
16,712 posts, read 4,389,174 times
Reputation: 11656
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
And they were a sh! thole, poverty stricken, third world, communist country less than 50 years ago, back when everything was made here instead of there. It is our own fault. They were isolated from the global economy until Nixon brought them into the fold. We created our own biggest competitor. We should have left them living in the stone ages, but voters here were sold a bill of goods that globalism would somehow going to be be good for them.
Well, you can't stop history. They were ravaged by the Japanese and War and famine and natural disasters and overpopulation and British Guns and so on and so on.

But you fail to note that they were casting iron long before the rest of the world....have you checked out that wall? How about those terra cotta warriors? No "peasant" could have made those.

How about gunpowder and the crossbow and countless other inventions?

One should look back a bit further. The commie thing was only a reaction to other actions such as the destruction to their egos by the Brits, the Japanese, etc.

It turns out their way, that the general philosophies of Buddhism and Confucianism are superior to "every man for himself" ways of SOME other countries:

"The worldly concern of Confucianism rests upon the belief that human beings are fundamentally good, and teachable, improvable, and perfectible through personal and communal endeavor, especially self-cultivation and self-creation. Confucian thought focuses on the cultivation of virtue in a morally organised world."

Would you agree with the values stated above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,917 posts, read 11,805,158 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
And they were a sh! thole, poverty stricken, third world, communist country less than 50 years ago, back when everything was made here instead of there. It is our own fault. They were isolated from the global economy until Nixon brought them into the fold. We created our own biggest competitor. We should have left them living in the stone ages, but voters here were sold a bill of goods that globalism would somehow going to be be good for them.
Itís been good for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
 
311 posts, read 57,810 times
Reputation: 321
China is doing exactly what US was doing, but without any wars. Where is the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 848,461 times
Reputation: 2286
America was unique in the world once with our know-how and manufacturing superiority.

Then some greedy Americans had to sell out the rest of us, so they could be even more rich, in the process, giving our unique advantage to a country equal in size, mildly comparable in military strength and, superior in population quantity. At that point we inflicted upon ourselves irreversible damage-over-time that will lead to an American game over.

China has tens of millions of children and teenagers that know how to assemble things, daily, that, thanks to our needlessly social-justice based school system, maybe only thousands of Americans know how to do.

The US is too big to take directly but, in many other ways, China has already won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,917 posts, read 11,805,158 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
America was unique in the world once with our know-how and manufacturing superiority.

Then some greedy Americans had to sell out the rest of us, so they could be even more rich, in the process, giving our unique advantage to a country equal in size, mildly comparable in military strength and, superior in population quantity. At that point we inflicted upon ourselves irreversible damage-over-time that will lead to an American game over.

China has tens of millions of children and teenagers that know how to assemble things, daily, that, thanks to our needlessly social-justice based school system, maybe only thousands of Americans know how to do.

The US is too big to take directly but, in many other ways, China has already won.
Yes, our schools should be teaching how to attach soles to shoes instead of this useless math and science crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM
 
1,545 posts, read 325,078 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
China is doing exactly what US was doing, but without any wars. Where is the problem?
The problem is that the US won't allow it for much longer. The situation with Hong Kong, Taiwan, trade war, etc.

War might be closer than expected. It will be hell on earth.

All that in order that democracy arrives in China to open their manufacuring capabilities into the hands of American capitalists. Then it would be ok to buy up the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
 
311 posts, read 57,810 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The problem is that the US won't allow it for much longer. The situation with Hong Kong, Taiwan, trade war, etc.

War might be closer than expected. It will be hell on earth.

All that in order that democracy arrives in China to open their manufacuring capabilities into the hands of American capitalists. Then it would be ok to buy up the world.
Whoever fuels US foreign policy should understand that any war escalation with a country having nuclear power will very fast go to nuclear strikes. These policymakers should understand that there will be no place for them to live the luxury life they have now due to ruined environment - no matter who "wins". Would they strike if there will be no retaliation? Sure, yes - they never had any moral values to begin with. So, it's just the matter whether they are mad enough or not. I would hope they have at least some remnants of sanity left, although it's a weak hope.

On another hand, British empire went down without destroying the world (although they created quite a lot of ever-fueled situations for conflicts, as usual). May be this time transition will also go without big bang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:17 AM
 
1,495 posts, read 848,461 times
Reputation: 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, our schools should be teaching how to attach soles to shoes instead of this useless math and science crap.
I never said math and science was useless anywhere in my post! Literally, my post contained no references to, at least math and science, being useless.

China is such a manufacturing powerhouse because their workers do far more than attach soles to shoes. If that's all they did, well they would be Bangladesh or Honduras.

If schools taught more reading, math and science that would be great, excellent but, ...apparently schools are teaching reading so poorly that some people are seeing words that aren't actually there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top