U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM

2,868 posts, read 875,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You should first prove your claims or GTFO.
I thought telling some GTFO counted as "bickering"?

Guess the politics forum is being used as a landscape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,226,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post

Go Taste Fried Onions?

Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 AM

13,685 posts, read 4,205,352 times
Quote:

He first told me to "GTFO" so go lecture him.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM

13,685 posts, read 4,205,352 times
Quote:
I would have rather have this in automotive

Anyways, today's cars anways don't use as much chemical component due to the rise of ecoboositng and computerization. Just open up the hood of any modern car and you'll see the turbo charging sensor makeup for at least 60% of the engine control unit. Hell, electrical assisted steering was supposed to reduce the need for so much power steering fluid and it kind of worked.

And if the car is naturally aspirated, I believe the CPU unit controls the engine with a 50/50 ratio of oil consumption.

I could be wrong, but that's why GDI has become more commonplace in the first place...
No that's not how vehicle powertrain systems work.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 AM

2,379 posts, read 498,256 times
Quote:
I would have rather have this in automotive

Anyways, today's cars anways don't use as much chemical component due to the rise of ecoboositng and computerization. Just open up the hood of any modern car and you'll see the turbo charging sensor makeup for at least 60% of the engine control unit. Hell, electrical assisted steering was supposed to reduce the need for so much power steering fluid and it kind of worked.

And if the car is naturally aspirated, I believe the CPU unit controls the engine with a 50/50 ratio of oil consumption.

I could be wrong, but that's why GDI has become more commonplace in the first place...
That’s now how this works....that’s not how any of this works.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
That’s now how this works....that’s not how any of this works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No that's not how vehicle powertrain systems work.

But isn't every car company doing their own version of turboing an engine with a very computerized or direct-injection deposit? Something shouldn't be so off

And what about the fact that we now need like 15+ driving modes in cars nowadays???

Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
But isn't every car company doing their own version of turboing an engine with a very computerized or direct-injection deposit? Something shouldn't be so off

And what about the fact that we now need like 15+ driving modes in cars nowadays???
Are you just throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks?

Everything is wrong in your post except for the increased adoption of turbo’d engines (which have already been around for ~80 years).

1. “turbo charging sensor makeup for at least 60% of the engine control unit”
—Blatantly wrong. You might have an additional pressure sensor or two, and possible a turbine speed sensor. But there are literally dozens of sensors on any modern engine

2. “electrical assisted steering was supposed to reduce the need for so much power steering fluid and it kind of worked.”
—— Electric Power steering uses no fluid whatsoever, and serves it’s purpose to reduce weight, complexity, and energy use.

3. “And if the car is naturally aspirated, I believe the CPU unit controls the engine with a 50/50 ratio of oil consumption.
——Again, blatantly wrong. Engine management has nothing to do with oil consumption, which is to say, you’re probably thinking about ancient two-stoke motors which haven’t been used in half a century in cars.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Are you just throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks?

Everything is wrong in your post except for the increased adoption of turbo’d engines (which have already been around for ~80 years).
No, I am trying to be more detail oriented rather than be looking at a big picture, sorry about my thinking orientation right there

Well I do wanna ask, does programming a car with 10+ different driving modes help the car balance out certain rates of fluid consumption anyways? Particularly the eco modes

Old 09-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No, I am trying to be more detail oriented rather than be looking at a big picture, sorry about my thinking orientation right there

Well I do wanna ask, does programming a car with 10+ different driving modes help the car balance out certain rates of fluid consumption anyways? Particularly the eco modes
Eco modes generally change throttle mapping and potentially enable “auto start/stop” functionality. Most cars in city driving waste fuel idling, and this provides up to a 15% increase in fuel economy.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:56 PM

1,899 posts, read 586,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is exactly the issue because they did it as a group and decided to sell a much more expensive product. That runs afoul of anti-competitive laws. Had they decided to only make cars that meet federal standards as a group they would still be in the same boat. Get it?
No it's not. Who would bet money on the future of indefinite cheap gasoline and loose pollution controls? Obviously not the automakers who have an eye towards a global market. Don't worry, trucks and SUVs will still be big sellers, although more efficient as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or