U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

850 posts, read 892,685 times

Advertisements

I am praying for them. I hope the people there are not like the people who looted New Orleans.

I was there during Katrina. It was a chaotic nightmare. It is true that guns were confiscated from law-abiding citizens, and then were destroyed by being 'stored' in barrels of water. It is also true that the looters were not after food and water.

Looters strike New Orleans after storm - US news - Katrina, The Long Road Back | NBC News

Some people were under the impression that the damages to the looted stores would be covered by insurance. It isn't. Special policies can be purchased, but most policies do not cover any damages from civil unrest, war or terrorism. Civil unrest includes such things as riots, strikes and looting.

The Katrina scars still remain even after all this time . . . both in the landscape and the minds of the people who survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

21,888 posts, read 11,313,833 times
When a disaster strikes everyone thinks that the government is going to save you.. if you are going to be saved , you best be the one saving yourself.. The government is not your savior ..

God always spoke of famine, a storehouse and your own responsibility to use your brain that he gave you. Having a gun to protect yourself and your family is a start.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

3,128 posts, read 4,457,478 times
As soon as the Bahamian govt. gave special exceptions to moving supplies ... local boat owners, accompanied by the Coast Guard, have been moving supplies to OBB on west end. The marina and buildings were not destroyed, but were damaged.

One group had over 50 boats heading out of Boynton inlet to OBB on west end. New fishing Hole Bridge washed out and has delayed moving supplies east. Many boaters are moving people south. I can carry 110 gals of fuel and an addition 28 gals in spare tanks. No fuel available yet for boaters... rooms not available either... so gotta bring enough to get you there and back. I average a bout 2.8 MPG. West end is 60 nautical miles out of my inlet.

Right now the seas are running 8-12 ft which prevents most small fishing boats from making the trip. I won't make the run if seas are over 4', my boat is only 23'.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

20,679 posts, read 12,387,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
When a disaster strikes everyone thinks that the government is going to save you.. if you are going to be saved , you best be the one saving yourself.. The government is not your savior ..

God always spoke of famine, a storehouse and your own responsibility to use your brain that he gave you. Having a gun to protect yourself and your family is a start.
Geesh then he raised Jacob to take over the govt to give help to those affected by the famine

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

21,888 posts, read 11,313,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Geesh then he raised Jacob to take over the govt to give help to those affected by the famine
And God worked through messages to Jacob telling him to make a storehouse to get through a 7 year famine. Jacob was a man of God and listened to God. Jacob was chosen and was placed there by God to do good for the people .

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

5,837 posts, read 3,772,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And God worked through messages to Jacob telling him to make a storehouse to get through a 7 year famine. Jacob was a man of God and listened to God. Jacob was chosen and was placed there by God to do good for the people .
You mean Joseph.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

8,573 posts, read 2,500,677 times
have the Bahamians opened up the Atlantis resort to help the homeless or relief workers? I heard it wasn't touched. There are 3,000 rooms there.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

3,128 posts, read 4,457,478 times
Typically... available rooms are for relief workers, utility workers, doctors, nurses, etc. from out of the country or area. Can't expect people to work 14-16 hours a day without services and a bed to sleep in.

That's the way it has worked in the past.

Old Today, 05:29 PM

29 posts, read 29,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
A few observations: Being a current dialysis patient myself. I have to wonder how or IF those who need dialysis are getting it in the Bahamas? If you don't get your dialysis treatments within 7-10 days, you will usually die. I see the devastation, no electricity or water. Dialysis is impossible without both, (plus the machine dialyzer itself and the supplies) and your water has to be put through a special filter before it goes in your body. How many will die because they do not get their treatment in time?

One of the police station was blown to smithereens. There may not be much in the presence of law enforcement there. Here, I believe we call in the military to help stop the looters and the criminals who will take this opportunity to commit crimes. What does the Bahamas have in terms of law enforcement right now? Did the men who confiscated the donations have a corruption element or were they trying to protect the Bahamians?
@WannaliveinGreenville

At least one dialysis patient who lived in Grand Bahama died two days after Hurricane Dorian. She was only 38 years old. She could not get her treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies