U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

3,034 posts, read 4,437,656 times

Advertisements

The Chinese have a HUGE presence there. They have lots of cash and will bribe and buy their way for control. They'll play this humanitarian catastrophe like a cheap Bahamian fiddle, for their benefit and personal gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

20,609 posts, read 12,353,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I certainly hope that will not be the case, and I am certainly not ready to predict it.

After being through several direct hits in Florida, I will tell you hurricans bring out the best and the worst in people. I got to know my neighbors better over hurricane preps and helping each other afterwards than beforehand. But there was a huge amount of opportunistic looting. If you think that doesn't happen after a hurricane in the U.S., you are wrong. You hope the good outweighs the bad, but the bad is always there.
Iím from hurricane country - it gets very kukcoo crazy as well as warm and brotherly. Seen both sides, in but after Andrew the local govt started to pay attention. Fl has money - the Bahamas is close and hope can get more help faster but Puerto Rico also has horror stories. The whole thing is devastating period God have mercy.

24,926 posts, read 12,258,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Oh, they're all moving to Florida and the US, make no doubt about that!
No they arenít. I got a friend of mine there works for CBP and there are no plans to take anyone in. As was succinctly put earlier. The southern islands are unaffected. They can go there.

32,351 posts, read 37,090,938 times
This is why we Americans need our guns in time of civil discontent.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

20,609 posts, read 12,353,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No they arenít. I got a friend of mine there works for CBP and there are no plans to take anyone in. As was succinctly put earlier. The southern islands are unaffected. They can go there.
Yea no RRT or SRT deployed.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think you are just trying to make trouble but anyway, of course they know. But probably their ancestors, for the most part, were brought there by the British to work as slaves. Finally the Bahamas got their independence around 1973 but for what? What good does that do? A bunch of poverty stricken islands. Any natural resources? Any money made is made by a few who get it from the cruise ships. Most of the people live a subsistence lifestyle. If they were given half a chance to go somewhere else and get a fresh start, now that a lot have lost their families, their kids are dead, etc. I bet they'd be willing to go and to let those islands remain mostly uninhabited.

Actually the above is incorrect and I think you must have been thinking of some other nation(s) in the Caribbean. Bahamas is the third wealthiest nation in the Americas and most of the people there are relatively well to do or at least comfortable in their lifestyles. Or at least it was that way until Dorian wandered in for a visit and trashed so much of their tourism and agricultural industries. Their world reknowned offshore financial services industry is still intact at this time. That might change now, remains to be seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Bahamas

Re: some of the other posts here about applying as refugees, as a Commonwealth nation the Bahamian citizens don't qualify for refugee status in USA. To the best of my knowledge none of the Commonwealth realms citizens anywhere in the world are eligible to apply as refugees to USA.

Under these outstanding emergency circumstances they would qualify for refugee or asylum status in Canada first and then Britain and a few other Commonwealth realms that can afford them.

However, I think they 'might' qualify for temporary humane asylum status in USA until other permanent arrangements elsewhere can be made for them, provided they can make it to USA soil under their own steam first and then request temporary asylum.

Last edited by Zoisite; Yesterday at 08:33 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

34,797 posts, read 42,024,476 times
People in hurricane prone areas should take note of the total devastation that a hurricane can bring. next time you are pondering whether to stay or go when evacuations are sent out think of the Bahamas.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

20,232 posts, read 19,232,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Actually the above is incorrect and I think you must have been thinking of some other nation(s) in the Caribbean. Bahamas is the third wealthiest nation in the Americas and most of the people there are relatively well to do or at least comfortable in their lifestyles. Or at least it was that way until Dorian wandered in for a visit and trashed so much of their tourism and agricultural industries, which were two of the three main industries there. Their world reknowned financial industry is still intact at this time. That might change now, remains to be seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Bahamas

Re: some of the other posts here about applying as refugees, as a Commonwealth nation the Bahamian citizens don't qualify for refugee status in USA. To the best of my knowledge none of the Commonwealth realms citizens anywhere in the world are eligible to apply as refugees to USA.

Under these outstanding emergency circumstances they would qualify for refugee or asylum status in Canada first and then Britain and a few other Commonwealth realms that can afford them.

However, I think they 'might' qualify for temporary humane asylum status in USA until other permanent arrangements elsewhere can be made for them, provided they can make it to USA soil under their own steam first and then request temporary asylum.

The economy may average out as wealthy but that wealth is held by the few. Most live in poverty, from what I have heard. I have read that the wealthy are SO wealthy that it skews the results.

I think they could qualify for temporary refugee status in the US but for permanent residency it would have to be a British country since they are part of the commonwealth. I was thinking of Canada but with the vast difference in climate, I then thought of Australia. In a perfect world (ha!) they would be given their choice of resettlement in any of the commonwealth nations and their islands would be abandoned as uninhabitable. Maybe their more southerly islands are able to be lived upon, but I don't see any booming economy or future there either. Abandon it and quit while you're ahead. Some places are just to be visited and enjoyed for the scenery but not to be lived on.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

2,018 posts, read 1,199,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Sean Connery lives full time in the Bahamas. He road out the hurricane at his villa.

Said he fell in love with the place after filming Dr No.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...on/2234085001/
Connery lives in Nassau (New Providence), which is south of where the devastation was. He probably only saw tropical storm force winds at worst.

The hurricanes core (which is where the extreme 150+ mph winds were) went through Marsh Harbor (Abaco) and Freeport (Grand Bahama).

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

6,472 posts, read 2,752,182 times
I guess what we could do is declare all parcels of the land in the world that have been prone to Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Blizzards, Earthquakes and so on as unlivable and plant the occupants in the complainers back yards.

Your looking at billions of people planted in your backyard.
Here they come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies