Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 08:43 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,161,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The economy may average out as wealthy but that wealth is held by the few. Most live in poverty, from what I have heard. I have read that the wealthy are SO wealthy that it skews the results.
Less than 10 percent of the Bahamas is below the poverty line. The USA has a higher poverty level than the Bahamas.

If Bahamas breaks out into chaos, it won't be because the people are poor. Their per capita income is higher than most countries in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,976,934 times
Quote:
The economy may average out as wealthy but that wealth is held by the few. Most live in poverty, from what I have heard. I have read that the wealthy are SO wealthy that it skews the results.

I think they could qualify for temporary refugee status in the US but for permanent residency it would have to be a British country since they are part of the commonwealth. I was thinking of Canada but with the vast difference in climate, I then thought of Australia. In a perfect world (ha!) they would be given their choice of resettlement in any of the commonwealth nations and their islands would be abandoned as uninhabitable. Maybe their more southerly islands are able to be lived upon, but I don't see any booming economy or future there either. Abandon it and quit while you're ahead. Some places are just to be visited and enjoyed for the scenery but not to be lived on.
You’ve made some horribly inaccurate statements about the Bahamas in this thread, have you ever been to the Bahamas? We aren’t talking about the BVIs or Jamaica, The Bahamas isn’t a bunch of islands full of poor folks living in shacks.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 PM

19,732 posts, read 11,974,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I certainly hope that will not be the case, and I am certainly not ready to predict it.

After being through several direct hits in Florida, I will tell you hurricans bring out the best and the worst in people. I got to know my neighbors better over hurricane preps and helping each other afterwards than beforehand. But there was a huge amount of opportunistic looting. If you think that doesn't happen after a hurricane in the U.S., you are wrong. You hope the good outweighs the bad, but the bad is always there.
Just before Wilma I went out to stay with a friend in Atlanta for two weeks. I don’t even think I mentioned anything to my neighbor. A casual friend lived on the complete opposite side of our metro area, in a rough part of town. While I was gone, she was sleeping every night with her gun right beside her. Her home was broken into multiple times over that time span and when I returned, it was as if I had just left. Not a thing awry.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 PM

19,732 posts, read 11,974,262 times
A Florida man bought 100 generators at Costco to send to the Bahamas.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/09/0...ostco-bahamas/

Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,456,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
People in hurricane prone areas should take note of the total devastation that a hurricane can bring. next time you are pondering whether to stay or go when evacuations are sent out think of the Bahamas.
I’m in a hurricane prone area, and we don’t get 185 mph storms like that because we have a large land mass behind us to slow it down. Islands get pummeled. A storm like that would be like being inside a tornado for several hours instead of minutes.

I’ve been in three hurricanes, but I’m about 70 miles from the coast. The first when I lived closer to downtown and we didn’t have power for two weeks. The second one I lived on the west edge of town and I think we lost power for a few hours and my inlaws didn’t lose power at all. Yet my friends where I used to live had no power for a week at least. The last one was Harvey, and it wasn’t even really a hurricane where I was. It was biblical rain for 3 days and I thought it would never end. It was the only time I was scared, which I attribute to the fact that no one lost power and we were inundated with footage of water rescues and radar maps that made me very anxious. I found myself wishing the power would go off so we could sit around playing cards like normal, but I do believe the power being on led to a lot of rescues so can’t really complain after the fact.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,456,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I guess what we could do is declare all parcels of the land in the world that have been prone to Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Blizzards, Earthquakes and so on as unlivable and plant the occupants in the complainers back yards.

Your looking at billions of people planted in your backyard.
Here they come!
Don’t forget wildfires.

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is no perfect place for weather or freedom from disasters, and there never has been.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 PM

412 posts, read 144,099 times
I thought the penalty for committing murder was pretty severe in the Bahamas.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 PM

412 posts, read 144,099 times
Freeport seemed like a bunch of poor people living in shacks

Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 PM

3,603 posts, read 3,345,739 times
Quote:
I think they could qualify for temporary refugee status in the US but for permanent residency it would have to be a British country since they are part of the commonwealth. I was thinking of Canada but with the vast difference in climate, I then thought of Australia. In a perfect world (ha!) they would be given their choice of resettlement in any of the commonwealth nations....
You're ascribing much more fraternity and cooperation to the Commonwealth than it deserves. Really, all it is, is just an association of countries, all of whom are independent of the others, all of which owe nothing (such as visa-free travel or permanent residency) to the others, and over which the UK no longer has any influence or power. Indeed, the only "British country" left in the world is the UK.

The Commonwealth is very much like the Organization of American States (OAS), or the United Nations. Ask yourself: if Argentina suffered some sort of natural disaster, would the United States be obligated to take in Argentine refugees as permanent residents, just because both the US and Argentina are members of the OAS? It's the same in the case of the Bahamas. The Bahamas may be a member of the Commonwealth, but it is an independent country, and no other independent-member-country of the Commonwealth is obligated to take Bahamians in as permanent residents simply because "Commonwealth." Commonwealth countries may choose to admit Bahamian refugees on humanitarian grounds, but they are not obligated to provide them permanent residency. The Commonwealth doesn't work that way.

With that being said, if the Bahamas needs help in the wake of this disaster (as it clearly does), it will be freely given, by any country, Commonwealth or not. It is my understanding that the US Coast Guard is on the scene, and Canada is sending supplies and emergency personnel. No doubt, other nations will help as needs develop. But the US and Canada are the countries that are closest, and that can send help in a heartbeat, and that can afford to do so. At any rate, if Bahamians need refuge, Commonwealth membership won't determine where they get it. As I said above, you're ascribing much more fraternity and cooperation to the Commonwealth than it deserves.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,933,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
A Florida man bought 100 generators at Costco to send to the Bahamas.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/09/0...ostco-bahamas/
The man is a true angel.
He does not judge them nor question them.
Just helps them in a time of need and does it without wanting praise or publicity.

He is a better man than me

Last edited by J746NEW; 09-07-2019 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies