Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:31 PM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

The Bahama's is very mob-ish. For instance.... a charter flight to the Bahamas yesterday, loaded with food and water, personal items for babies and children, was held for 6 hrs while the Bahamian authorities "interrogated" the pilot. The "authorities" took possession of the "contraband". What BS. He will no longer fly relief missions.

Thugs and mob rule is the prevalent ... however please donate, but be careful about who and what you're donating to. Like Haiti and Puerto Rico... there is a graft-thug culture to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 06:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The US might as well just buy the Bahamas, probably could get it for a dirt cheap price after Dorian.
I believe it's part of the British commonwealth. Let the British take them in. Let the British pay to relocate them in some place like Australia or some British owned islands. Somebody's got to take charge and put an end to such a humanitarian crisis. Maybe the survivors could each be given some money and a choice to where they want to go. It won't be the US unless they can legally get in as refugees, and better for them if they have families here.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:34 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This was a hurricane unlike any other. What were the wind speeds? 185 mph? Where do people go when there is no high land to go to? Do you not understand? The land is barely above sea level at the best of times.

What does it matter if they put away some food or water when their entire house was destroyed and blown away? And so were all the other houses. Trees, cars, even roads--gone. What good is a generator? And they would have had to be able to afford a generator in the first place. From the pictures I saw, there is nothing left but rubble, broken trees, and dead bodies with a few people who actually survived.

I wish they would be relocated and never allowed to rebuild. All that should exist on those islands should be storm resistant buildings, maybe they would be hotels for tourists and they would close down when a hurricane approached. Let the cruise ships use those islands for their passengers. But vacate the islands of everything else. Apparently their government isn't exactly first rate and there are no jobs, no money, no life for anyone. I think since this is a British commonwealth nation, Britain should take them in and resettle them somewhere safe. Just leave those islands deserted except as temporary mooring places for cruise ships. This should be a lesson that some places are not habitable.
It was not a storm like any other that is rubbish

Old 09-06-2019, 06:36 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
I believe it's part of the British commonwealth. Let the British take them in. Let the British pay to relocate them in some place like Australia or some British owned islands. Somebody's got to take charge and put an end to such a humanitarian crisis. Maybe the survivors could each be given some money and a choice to where they want to go. It won't be the US unless they can legally get in as refugees, and better for them if they have families here.
Why do you feel the need to tell them what to do? You dont think they know the risk of living there?

Old 09-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The Bahama's is very mob-ish. For instance.... a charter flight to the Bahamas yesterday, loaded with food and water, personal items for babies and children, was held for 6 hrs while the Bahamian authorities "interrogated" the pilot. The "authorities" took possession of the "contraband". What BS. He will no longer fly relief missions.

Thugs and mob rule is the prevalent ... however please donate, but be careful about who and what you're donating to. Like Haiti and Puerto Rico... there is a graft-thug culture to deal with.
Yeh, the survivors are standing around --no homes, no food, no water, waiting for help and their goverInment sounds like the governments in Central America. The government takes the money and supplies and the people end up with nothing. I'd say we should still donate but after that, anyone who is still alive should be offered another option of a place to live. Those islands are doomed.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Why do you feel the need to tell them what to do? You dont think they know the risk of living there?
I think you are just trying to make trouble but anyway, of course they know. But probably their ancestors, for the most part, were brought there by the British to work as slaves. Finally the Bahamas got their independence around 1973 but for what? What good does that do? A bunch of poverty stricken islands. Any natural resources? Any money made is made by a few who get it from the cruise ships. Most of the people live a subsistence lifestyle. If they were given half a chance to go somewhere else and get a fresh start, now that a lot have lost their families, their kids are dead, etc. I bet they'd be willing to go and to let those islands remain mostly uninhabited.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpusa View Post
No more redeveloping there, make them move to Florida... those islands are highly uninhabitable in this day and age, no point in wasting the money for aid every other year.
Uh, no. They can move to the southern islands of the Bahamas. They were untouched. Bahamians can take care of Bahamians.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Yeh, the survivors are standing around --no homes, no food, no water, waiting for help and their goverInment sounds like the governments in Central America. The government takes the money and supplies and the people end up with nothing. I'd say we should still donate but after that, anyone who is still alive should be offered another option of a place to live. Those islands are doomed.
I bet they wish they were still a British Crown Colony.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I bet they wish they were still a British Crown Colony.
They'd be better off. I don't know their history but they don't seem to have much going for them all by themselves. Even if this disaster is eventually cleaned up, it's only a matter of time until the next. And other countries who run to their aid are stressed and strained for mostly nothing because unless someone can come up with a reason for these islands to exist with a large permanent population, this is a fool's game.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Oh, they're all moving to Florida and the US, make no doubt about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies