Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:14 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

This could end up being a Godsend for the poor people of the Bahamas. If they go in and rebuild their housing, the chances are that their new homes will be built better than those originally there. They can get jobs working in the rebuilding construction. Running new electric lines and water and sewer systems. Put in new trash to steam electric generating plants. I have to wonder how a windmill would have fared in that storm.
There's always a construction boom in an area right after a natural disaster.
But there is one aspect that they will have to watch out for, a very chilling one. Human trafficking and the abduction of children by pedophiles and worse. It happened in Haiti and its a deep state run global criminal syndicate. Be very careful of allowing organizations and even the DHS who may try to relocate children as refugees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The economy may average out as wealthy but that wealth is held by the few. Most live in poverty, from what I have heard. I have read that the wealthy are SO wealthy that it skews the results.

I think they could qualify for temporary refugee status in the US but for permanent residency it would have to be a British country since they are part of the commonwealth. I was thinking of Canada but with the vast difference in climate, I then thought of Australia. In a perfect world (ha!) they would be given their choice of resettlement in any of the commonwealth nations and their islands would be abandoned as uninhabitable. Maybe their more southerly islands are able to be lived upon, but I don't see any booming economy or future there either. Abandon it and quit while you're ahead. Some places are just to be visited and enjoyed for the scenery but not to be lived on.
I was in St. Lucia (former British colony) not too long ago and spoke with some resort workers whose families moved to Toronto. Canada isn’t necessarily a bad option for Caribbean natives just because it gets colder there. The impression I got in St. Lucia is that Canada is kind of their go to. If they can, they also may go to the UK for school. They still have some ties to the Commonwealth for sure, and climate didn’t seem to stop them because St. Lucia is very small and other than tourism, no longer has much going for it. The Bahamas may be different in that regard, though.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:15 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This could end up being a Godsend for the poor people of the Bahamas. If they go in and rebuild their housing, the chances are that their new homes will be built better than those originally there. They can get jobs working in the rebuilding construction. Running new electric lines and water and sewer systems. Put in new trash to steam electric generating plants. I have to wonder how a windmill would have fared in that storm.
There's always a construction boom in an area right after a natural disaster.
But there is one aspect that they will have to watch out for, a very chilling one. Human trafficking and the abduction of children by pedophiles and worse. It happened in Haiti and its a deep state run global criminal syndicate. Be very careful of allowing organizations and even the DHS who may try to relocate children as refugees.
Maybe 50 yrs from now. Many have lost entire families - limbs - babies - be a long time before the people are ok / the buildings will return one day- but this generation has very deep wounds.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I believe thse poster is talking about US government assistance using tax dollars.
We have govt funds to help our neighbors - is there a problem with that.? It’s not if the country has a billion they need fast relief now! Btw many countries send us manpower and aide as well/with our catastrophes.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We have govt funds to help our neighbors - is there a problem with that.? It’s not if the country has a billion they need fast relief now! Btw many countries send us manpower and aide as well/with our catastrophes.
Many Americans are of the belief that we are the only country that sends aid and no one has ever helped us.
If you told them that 90 countries offered help after Katrina they wouldn`t believe it.

90 nations offer aid to U.S. after Katrina - US news - Katrina, The Long Road Back - Hurricanes Archive | NBC News

Old 09-07-2019, 08:38 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
The God send for the Bahamas is the incredible generosity from the people in Florida. We are here, we are helping, we are saving lives.

The boat fleets are moving people to safe locations throughout the Bahamas and Florida. We are the Florida version of the Cajun Navy.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:38 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
guessing you haven't written a check...thoughts and prayers....
SMH...grow up. I’ve donated and will continue to donate as much as I can through their recovery. People like you need prayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I believe thse poster is talking about US government assistance using tax dollars.
Maybe...maybe not. His comments are asinine regardless.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 09-07-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 08:40 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I was in St. Lucia (former British colony) not too long ago and spoke with some resort workers whose families moved to Toronto. Canada isn’t necessarily a bad option for Caribbean natives just because it gets colder there. The impression I got in St. Lucia is that Canada is kind of their go to. If they can, they also may go to the UK for school. They still have some ties to the Commonwealth for sure, and climate didn’t seem to stop them because St. Lucia is very small and other than tourism, no longer has much going for it. The Bahamas may be different in that regard, though.
There are tons of Caribbean people in Toronto. It has long been a go-to for people. I’m sure that’s an option for some Bahamians...

Old 09-07-2019, 08:43 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
There are tons of Caribbean people in Toronto. It has long been a go-to for people. I’m sure that’s an option for some Bahamians...
Right now those folks, who wanna leave, need to get to Florida for commercial flights.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:57 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Bahamas are not our problem, you need a passport to go there. Brits should be helping them. There are natural disasters all over the world. We can't save everyone.
Really? Canadians have to show a passport to enter the U.S. but it didn't stop them from saddling up after Katrina and sending millions of dollars of aid, along with destroyers to produce fresh water, a fleet supply ship with hospital capabilities, helicopters to help pluck people off rooftops, heavy urban rescue team to assist finding dead victims, and French speaking utility crews who were often the first relief people the victims in outlying parishes had spoken to since they were hit by the storm, and in their own language no less.

Canada has responded in a like fashion to many of your natural disasters.

How about operation "yellow ribbon" and the resultant individual Canadian citizen's out of pocket shelter in private homes contribution to thousands of Americans dispossessed and refused permission to return to their own country during 9/11?

Whose taxpayer dollars do you think funded all of that. Hint; it wasn't you greedy self interested whining types.

People seem to think you're always being taken advantage of when as regards at least one of your neighbours, you've always been on the receiving end of the equation and very rarely have you reciprocated anything at all but general disdain and lies from your chief liar.

No wonder your country has become a social pariah viewed with suspicion of motive by the rest of the world.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-07-2019 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies