Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:40 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,366 times

Advertisements

The Bahamas have a murder rate on par with South Africa or Brazil. About six times greater than the USA.

Their hold on the rule of law is very slim. It is totally imposed top-down.

We will get incredible stories of savagery as news starts leaking out.

In the U.S., with heavily armed neighborhoods, when government breaks down, neighborhood militias spontaneously form in a day, preserving order and a rough rule of law.

Quote:
The death toll from devastating Hurricane Dorian will be 'staggering' with thousands still missing, officials have warned amid reports looters are 'trying to shoot people' in the scramble for food and water.

Up to 70,000 are in need of 'life-saving assistance' while Great Abaco is said to be virtually uninhabitable, with bodies piled up and witnesses say there is a 'smell of death' with corpses floating in the water.

While the official death toll stands at 30, that number is expected to rise today and hundreds of body bags have been ordered along with extra freezers.

A massive international relief effort was ramped up today as survivors revealed horrifying details of the 'apocalyptic' aftermath of the 185mph, Category-5 storm.

One of them, Alicia Cooke, broke down in tears as she revealed: 'Everything is gone, people are starting to panic. Pillaging, looting, trying to shoot people for food and water. It's just no way everyone's going to get out.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-Dorian.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 05:53 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
The Bahamas have a murder rate on par with South Africa or Brazil. About six times greater than the USA.

Their hold on the rule of law is very slim. It is totally imposed top-down.

We will get incredible stories of savagery as news starts leaking out.

In the U.S., with heavily armed neighborhoods, when government breaks down, neighborhood militias spontaneously form in a day, preserving order and a rough rule of law.
I certainly hope that will not be the case, and I am certainly not ready to predict it.

After being through several direct hits in Florida, I will tell you hurricans bring out the best and the worst in people. I got to know my neighbors better over hurricane preps and helping each other afterwards than beforehand. But there was a huge amount of opportunistic looting. If you think that doesn't happen after a hurricane in the U.S., you are wrong. You hope the good outweighs the bad, but the bad is always there.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:56 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,271,154 times
I don't think it will happen. Katrina is a good example of what will happen. There were some law breakers, but there always are.

There are people in The Bahamas who have not eaten since the storm landed. There is nothing to take from them even if you have a gun.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
I just sighed when I heard the news this am.....people screaming for the US Govt to arrive and p*ssed that they weren't there already......First of all, they all knew about the storm for a week. No one could put away a little food or water? No one on the islands has a generator? Everyone I know has a generator......
Then heard they refuse to build their houses to standards......sigh....

Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,416 times
Part and parcel of living in paradise

Old 09-06-2019, 06:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Part and parcel of living in paradise
Sean Connery lives full time in the Bahamas. He road out the hurricane at his villa.

Said he fell in love with the place after filming Dr No.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...on/2234085001/

Last edited by claymoore; 09-06-2019 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 PM

16 posts, read 7,219 times
No more redeveloping there, make them move to Florida... those islands are highly uninhabitable in this day and age, no point in wasting the money for aid every other year.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
It is an independent country.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:23 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It is an independent country.
The US might as well just buy the Bahamas, probably could get it for a dirt cheap price after Dorian.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I just sighed when I heard the news this am.....people screaming for the US Govt to arrive and p*ssed that they weren't there already......First of all, they all knew about the storm for a week. No one could put away a little food or water? No one on the islands has a generator? Everyone I know has a generator......
Then heard they refuse to build their houses to standards......sigh....
This was a hurricane unlike any other. What were the wind speeds? 185 mph? Where do people go when there is no high land to go to? Do you not understand? The land is barely above sea level at the best of times.

What does it matter if they put away some food or water when their entire house was destroyed and blown away? And so were all the other houses. Trees, cars, even roads--gone. What good is a generator? And they would have had to be able to afford a generator in the first place. From the pictures I saw, there is nothing left but rubble, broken trees, and dead bodies with a few people who actually survived.

I wish they would be relocated and never allowed to rebuild. All that should exist on those islands should be storm resistant buildings, maybe they would be hotels for tourists and they would close down when a hurricane approached. Let the cruise ships use those islands for their passengers. But vacate the islands of everything else. Apparently their government isn't exactly first rate and there are no jobs, no money, no life for anyone. I think since this is a British commonwealth nation, Britain should take them in and resettle them somewhere safe. Just leave those islands deserted except as temporary mooring places for cruise ships. This should be a lesson that some places are not habitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies