Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

There are many Haitians refugees living in shacks that came in recent years. Reports of a shooting came as an incident where a teenage boy was in back of a rescue pickup. He found a shotgun among peoples belongings and accidentally shot himself. No uprising by Haitian camps reported and people are being civil. One report of a looter being caught.

I have relatives there. Family presence for maybe a hundred years or more. Many are safe, some lost everything and some have homes in need of major repair. Think we lost two relatives. There may be many more bodies. Long timers there have lived through countless weather disasters over their lifetimes. This monster that wouldn't leave was likely a once in a lifetime event anywhere. I'd hate to be in their shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 12:24 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Actually the above is incorrect and I think you must have been thinking of some other nation(s) in the Caribbean. Bahamas is the third wealthiest nation in the Americas and most of the people there are relatively well to do or at least comfortable in their lifestyles. Or at least it was that way until Dorian wandered in for a visit and trashed so much of their tourism and agricultural industries. Their world reknowned offshore financial services industry is still intact at this time. That might change now, remains to be seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Bahamas

Re: some of the other posts here about applying as refugees, as a Commonwealth nation the Bahamian citizens don't qualify for refugee status in USA. To the best of my knowledge none of the Commonwealth realms citizens anywhere in the world are eligible to apply as refugees to USA.

Under these outstanding emergency circumstances they would qualify for refugee or asylum status in Canada first and then Britain and a few other Commonwealth realms that can afford them.

However, I think they 'might' qualify for temporary humane asylum status in USA until other permanent arrangements elsewhere can be made for them, provided they can make it to USA soil under their own steam first and then request temporary asylum.

Oh, we have all seen how that "temporary" stuff goes...lol

Old 09-07-2019, 03:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
A Florida man bought 100 generators at Costco to send to the Bahamas.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/09/0...ostco-bahamas/
Why isn't government comprised of people like this "Kind Stranger"? He is possessed of compassion connections, and logistical skill that would improve any area he so chooses....

Old 09-07-2019, 04:41 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is why we Americans need our guns in time of civil discontent.
Amen~!

Govt agencies of varied stripes confiscated firearms from non threatening, non criminal Americans pre and post Katrina in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

Of course the ACLU did not get involved.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:43 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
A Florida man bought 100 generators at Costco to send to the Bahamas.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/09/0...ostco-bahamas/
Very decent of him!

Fuel may be a problem to run them though.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Actually the above is incorrect and I think you must have been thinking of some other nation(s) in the Caribbean. Bahamas is the third wealthiest nation in the Americas and most of the people there are relatively well to do or at least comfortable in their lifestyles. Or at least it was that way until Dorian wandered in for a visit and trashed so much of their tourism and agricultural industries. Their world reknowned offshore financial services industry is still intact at this time. That might change now, remains to be seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Bahamas

Re: some of the other posts here about applying as refugees, as a Commonwealth nation the Bahamian citizens don't qualify for refugee status in USA. To the best of my knowledge none of the Commonwealth realms citizens anywhere in the world are eligible to apply as refugees to USA.

Under these outstanding emergency circumstances they would qualify for refugee or asylum status in Canada first and then Britain and a few other Commonwealth realms that can afford them.

However, I think they 'might' qualify for temporary humane asylum status in USA until other permanent arrangements elsewhere can be made for them, provided they can make it to USA soil under their own steam first and then request temporary asylum.

They don’t qualify for anything. The rest of the Bahamas were unaffected.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:00 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
A few observations: Being a current dialysis patient myself. I have to wonder how or IF those who need dialysis are getting it in the Bahamas? If you don't get your dialysis treatments within 7-10 days, you will usually die. I see the devastation, no electricity or water. Dialysis is impossible without both, (plus the machine dialyzer itself and the supplies) and your water has to be put through a special filter before it goes in your body. How many will die because they do not get their treatment in time?

One of the police station was blown to smithereens. There may not be much in the presence of law enforcement there. Here, I believe we call in the military to help stop the looters and the criminals who will take this opportunity to commit crimes. What does the Bahamas have in terms of law enforcement right now? Did the men who confiscated the donations have a corruption element or were they trying to protect the Bahamians?

Last edited by WannaliveinGreenville; 09-07-2019 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
this is all part of the magic of living in Hurricane Alley. Paradise until it isn't anymore.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
It’s unlikely this will happen on a large scale. People will be too busy helping each other survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I just sighed when I heard the news this am.....people screaming for the US Govt to arrive and p*ssed that they weren't there already......First of all, they all knew about the storm for a week. No one could put away a little food or water? No one on the islands has a generator? Everyone I know has a generator......
Then heard they refuse to build their houses to standards......sigh....
This has got to be one of the stupidest comments I have ever seen. First of all, I have yet to see anyone screaming about the US government. If one or two people are hysterical, that’s means nothing. Secondly, do you know anything about hurricanes? There are high winds and flooding, so everything is blown or washed away! The generator is no good. Plenty of those homes were built up to standard but because those islands are flat, the hurricane leveled the place.

I keep saying this and many people will continue making asinine comments because they haven’t been through it...you cannot full prepare for a Category 5 hurricane.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:16 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Bahamas are not our problem, you need a passport to go there. Brits should be helping them. There are natural disasters all over the world. We can't save everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies