U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,044,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It constitutes a false accusation of racism. Such inflames a)those falsely accused; b)those who mistakenly buy into the false accusations. This engenders racial hostility and division. It also makes it harder for genuine victims of racism to obtain justice, as their cases tend to get lost in the sea of false accusations.

This affects anyone who wishes to see the US march forward towards King's dream, which includes me, and hopefully you too.

There is nothing of the sort. This whole issue isn't about racism. No one is accusing anyone of being a racist. None.

This is the DMV being overly cautious and attempting to guess what the population would interpret an equivocal message. The DMV does not think it is racist. They just fear someone out there would.

If I tell you not to wear a Payton Manning jersey because someone out there might mistaken you for a gangbanger. That does NOT mean I am falsely accusing you of gang banging. Do you understand?

If you had said: society is getting so frickle that the word White can't be on a license plate and that just doesn't sit well with me. That'd have been fine. This is a people being too sensitive issue, not a racism issue.

In the end, this is just people being people. No need to make it out to be more than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

2,024 posts, read 414,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So what?

What is the significance of this one guy and his one soccer team's slogan being deemed offensive, frivolous or not???

I'm not saying this is snowflake of the snowflake territory, but if someone is to make a post about one freaking license plate. It should come with an explanation of why this is worth its own thread.

Itís worth its own thread because it illustrates how bat**** crazy American liberals have become. It also reminds rational and sane Americans why they should never vote for any Democrat.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,044,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
It’s worth its own thread because it illustrates how bat**** crazy American liberals have become. It also reminds rational and sane Americans why they should never vote for any Democrat.

Imagine if I make an entire thread about this man and then saying this man alone is the reason not to vote for Republicans. But liberals are not snowflakes like some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cg1bBo97bM

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

19,262 posts, read 9,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
It’s worth its own thread because it illustrates how bat**** crazy American liberals have become. It also reminds rational and sane Americans why they should never vote for any Democrat.
It seems some people are obsesses with being OFFENDED. I guess it gives them a sense of power and entitlement, although I can't understand why. Maybe it is that with accusations they can control other's behavior, or at least attempt to. Sad.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

4,094 posts, read 725,202 times
Quote:
There is nothing of the sort. This whole issue isn't about racism. No one is accusing anyone of being a racist. None.

This is the DMV being overly cautious and attempting to guess what the population would interpret an equivocal message. The DMV does not think it is racist. They just fear someone out there would.
You know this how? Link or quote from CA DMV?

If this is really the criteria, virtually all vanity plates would have to be banned since there is always the possibility that 'someone out there would' be offended. Remember when Ross Perot used the term 'you people' and some thought it was racist? Or when John McCain referred to Obama as 'that one' and was accused of racism?

Bah, you are just making stuff up to extricate yourself from a dumb position that I knocked down. By banning the COYW plate, the DMV clearly meant to imply that it was a racist slogan. And it appears that they are going to get knocked down in court as well.

Quote:
If you had said: society is getting so frickle that the word White can't be on a license plate and that just doesn't sit well with me. That'd have been fine. This is a people being too sensitive issue, not a racism issue.
BTW I did not know what 'frickle' meant, so I looked it up:

Fricīkle
n.
A bushel basket.

WTH are you talking about???

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

Quote:

And from post #1:

Quote:
California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) denied Jonís request due to its subjective fear that the slogan is hostile, insulting, or racially degrading.
So no, you are flat wrong. The DMV did not deny the request due to the fear that someone might be offended. They denied due their fear that the slogan was racially degrading.

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

5,405 posts, read 1,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It’s California, I expected no less from them.
Cali has plenty of nut-jobs on either end of the spectrum. That is potential equality right there.

Old Today, 12:56 AM

27,249 posts, read 11,450,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://pacificlegal.org/case/kotler-v-webb/

Kotler is suing with the help of the 1st Amendment org 'Pacific Legal Foundation.' One of his lawyers said in an interview yesterday that they had a recent court appearance, which went well for them, and not for CA DMV.
It comes across as if Whites aren't doing enough and need to do better. Which is silly. (Unless an Asian or East Indian is saying it.)

Old Today, 04:58 AM

3,201 posts, read 702,872 times
Quote:
So what?

What is the significance of this one guy and his one soccer team's slogan being deemed offensive, frivolous or not???

I'm not saying this is snowflake of the snowflake territory, but if someone is to make a post about one freaking license plate. It should come with an explanation of why this is worth its own thread.

In a world where Barbecue Becky goes viral and makes national news, why shouldn't this be significant?

We didn't build this.

Old Today, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
In a world where Barbecue Becky goes viral and makes national news, why shouldn't this be significant?

We didn't build this.
Especially if Barbeque Becky is carrying a frickle of BBQ ribs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or