Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled upon a response to a thread on Kiwi Farms (since it publishes information on others' without their permission, also known as "doxxing" I will not link to the thread here)

"This woman says this man is a rapist! I hate rapists! Let's destroy his life without question because rapists are bad and it feels good to fight what we believe is evil!"

The tone is quite crude, but he makes a good point that fighting rape, an abhorrent crime, should not mean deliberately destroying a livelihood without proper deliberation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 04:07 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Twitter mobs can't hurt you if you're not on Twitter. Ditto Facebook.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's great if you don't work in industries that use Twitter and Facebook and social media to provide updates about products, services and training.

Try being a developer and off Twitter etc. You're going to miss a lot of things that keep you up to date. You can do it, but it's far more time consuming.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:19 AM

They can, if the Twitter mob accusations get in the hands of friends, employers, and family.

Quote:
This is correct, as Holowka was in the video games industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That's great if you don't work in industries that use Twitter and Facebook and social media to provide updates about products, services and training.

Try being a developer and off Twitter etc. You're going to miss a lot of things that keep you up to date. You can do it, but it's far more time consuming.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Yes, it can. It can destroy your reputation with anyone else having access to it and if you are in an industry where your reputation matters you will have a hard time recovering. It can allow reporters in mainstream news media to write or report about the accusations, without any additional proof, because they justify they are reporting on the tweets/mob response and not rumors. I’ve known teachers who got non-renewed, who had no social media themselves, based on mob whipped up rumors on Facebook or Twitter.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I’ve known teachers who got non-renewed, who had no social media themselves, based on mob whipped up rumors on Facebook or Twitter.
I am aware that places can fire for "no reason", but I wonder if mob-fueled rumors count as a "wrong reason" and whether they can file lawsuits for wrongful termination (it probably depends on the state)

I am aware that schools have moral turpitude clauses that forbid "immoral behavior", but it would seem wrongful to fire/non-renew only based on hearsay rather than having evidence

Old 09-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I have no reason to tweet my stresses; I would talk about them in person with a few trusted people. In general society I would say "I'm fine" as it's just the social thing to do. If it was a serious matter I would go to counseling or authorities, as necessary.
What you would do isnt really the point here. The point is that you are arguing public perception as a reasoning to doubt her story. Punishing her for not tweeting every bad moment of her life.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Twitter mobs that post stuff with thier iPhones are very dangersous and must be taken seriously. Twitter plus the iPhone are modern day pitch forks.

Some years ago after the events of Charlottesville, a professor was accused of attending the rally because the professor looks like one of the white nationalist protestors at Charlottesville. People accused the professor and was doxxed. Thousands demanded the professor who is tenured to be fired. I don't have Twitter, but if I do something racist or sexist, guarantee someone will post it on Twitter and pitch fork hunting will begin either to get you fired or evicted.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I am aware that places can fire for "no reason", but I wonder if mob-fueled rumors count as a "wrong reason" and whether they can file lawsuits for wrongful termination (it probably depends on the state)

I am aware that schools have moral turpitude clauses that forbid "immoral behavior", but it would seem wrongful to fire/non-renew only based on hearsay rather than having evidence
Also note that Alec killed himself in Canada

Also some places have to becareful who they fire. Last year a Chipotle manager was accused of being racist for not serving a group of black kids. The sjw and pro black community took to Twitter. Sjws and pro blacks love to do social media fbi work. They found out that the black kids posted on Twitter about dine and dash which is not paying for your food and running out. When the sjw and pro blacks found out what the black kids were really doing. Chiptole had to reverse its firing of the manager before a wrongful termination suite could rise. Thanks to Twitter, the Hispanic female manager got her job back.

Twitter can be dangerous. Look at the Starbucks manager who got her life ruined by cooling the cops on two black patrons who did not buy Starbucks products and just sitting around waiting for a business associate. Twitter brought an outrage mob agaisnt Starbucks and the manager.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:

https://stevetobak.com/2019/04/30/pe...men-activists/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies