U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:19 PM

10,177 posts, read 5,637,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Should prisoners be allowed to own guns in jail? That answers how literally we need to take the wording of the 2nd amendment.

The point I'm making about door-busting cops is that something being illegal leading to govt violating your rights isn't a argument that's supported by history. If guns were illegal, no one would be doing door to door searches. They'd say "Your gun is illegal. This is the penalty for not turning it in."
Prisoners are covered under the 14th amendment.

The thing is if you allow a right to be regulated by the government, the time to protest is then. Say the government says they will issue licenses for guns and it is agreed on. Then say down the road, they decide only to issue a limited number of licenses and you lose out. You can't go to court to argue that your rights are being violated for that time was when the point about licenses came up. Now that you have agreed to it and they change their mind later down the road, you have no case.

As far gestapo searches not being supported by history, I disagree. Such as with New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:20 PM

7,033 posts, read 3,486,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
That's not the worst idea I've ever heard, Eddie. Excellent creative thinking
Take it and spread the word. Maybe someone in DC will hear it and start changing the conversation on how we deal with regulating guns.

Old Today, 02:22 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,493,329 times
I would do nothing because there's nothing that can fix the problem.

Old Today, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Prisoners are covered under the 14th amendment.

The thing is if you allow a right to be regulated by the government, the time to protest is then. Say the government says they will issue licenses for guns and it is agreed on. Then say down the road, they decide only to issue a limited number of licenses and you lose out. You can't go to court to argue that your rights are being violated for that time was when the point about licenses came up. Now that you have agreed to it and they change their mind later down the road, you have no case.

As far gestapo searches not being supported by history, I disagree. Such as with New Orleans.
If due process of law is enough justification to strip un-infringible rights, then it should definitely be enough to regulate gun ownership.

The govt power to regulate rights has ebbed and flowed since the country was founded. No one disputes property rights exist bc the govt power to regulate grew AND shrank over time. Gun rights are no different.

I don't know what you're talking about with Katrina and door to door searches for guns.

Old Today, 02:35 PM

118 posts, read 10,427 times
Quote:
Why would banning guns lead to a Gestapo govt breaking down doors to get them?
You've not been keeping up with the Cali DOJ lately, eh?

Old Today, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Should prisoners be allowed to own guns in jail? That answers how literally we need to take the wording of the 2nd amendment.

The point I'm making about door-busting cops is that something being illegal leading to govt violating your rights isn't a argument that's supported by history. If guns were illegal, no one would be doing door to door searches. They'd say "Your gun is illegal. This is the penalty for not turning it in."
Jesus you're dense. Once convicted of a felony, you lose your rights.....

Old Today, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Jesus you're dense. Once convicted of a felony, you lose your rights.....
What part of "shall not be infringed" are you too dim to understand?

Old Today, 02:42 PM

6,711 posts, read 2,042,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
1. Make Constitutional Carry a reality.
2. Enforce the laws that are already on the books concerning 'gun' crime.

I really like the way you phrased your title line.

However, I'm very disappointed that you offer only two options.

I'd be fine with making it strictly Constitutional - that if you are officially willing to be in the modern equivalent of a militia, to drop whatever you're doing and come to the defense of your country when called, you would be entitled to a limited number of guns for that purpose.

But I'd also be all right with having people apply for gun ownership for a specific purpose, and allowing them to buy a specific amount of appropriate guns for personal use - not an arsenal.

Old Today, 02:45 PM

11,487 posts, read 18,706,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Sure, there are also a lot of folks driving that don't carry liability insurance but if you're pulled over or if you're involved in an incident and lack coverage there are serious consequences. It's just a tool to assign responsible ownership. I don't see that as a problem.

I don't buy the rich v. poor issue either. It comes down to how much it means to you to own what you want. A person with means enough to drive a high performance vehicle will most certainly pay more than someone with a beater. Perhaps someone that chooses to own a (or many) high power firearms should pay more than someone with a single hunting rifle or personal protection handgun.

At the end of the day, throwing your hands up and saying "nothing can be done, nothing will work" doesn't wash anymore. The drumbeat is getting louder. Gun owners need to get on board, offer solutions or risk getting run over. Their choice.
"need to get on board"

No we don't. Pro gun control people's idea of discussion is they talk and we listen, their idea of compromise is they take and we give. The "better get on board" is just another version at that.

And if if you want to talk about license, registration and insurance the same as automobiles. So everybody that drives has to get a license, registration and insurance supposedly because it makes people safer drivers YET everyday way more than guns we see news reports of someone driving reckless who maimed or killed someone, so HOW is a license, registration and insurance suppose to make owning a gun or society safer?

What a driver license, registration and insurance really does is provide income for the government and identity to the government , and income for insurances companies. Do you honestly think any insurance company would write a policy that covers a owner if a gun is used wrongly?

But this is all just a scam by pro gun control people to stick it to gun owners because they don't like guns, don't others having guns and want to find a way to not allow people to own a gun, all the while saying "relax we aren't coming for your guns you can still get one if you are rich enough or if you go through miles of red tape."

And here is a reality check for you, all that you propose would never hold up in court, if you passed it your party would be doomed the next election, and there would be mass non-compliance anyway. After all that thugs and criminals would still get guns because short of going door to door with raids and creating a massive prison system for citizens who never broke a law before you aren't going to get "nothing done".

Maybe you should be asking and pondering why there are so many violent people with lack of respect for life these days, if you can fix that then you will really get something done to end violence.

Old Today, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'd allow one gun per household to be exempt from insurance & registration fees. Now your right to bear arms has not been infringed and you're free to exercise that Constitutional right.

And as long as that primary gun has the exemption allowing you to exercise your 2nd amendment right, each additional gun is free to be taxed.
Oh , brilliant.....so here's how that goes:
I only have 1 gun
But our records show you have 10
They were all lost on a boat trip
We'll get a warrant to search your house then
Ok, do what ya gotta do

Person takes his 10 (registered) guns out of house to ______, along with his 10 other (non-registered) guns he has. Time passes, guns come back and are extremely well concealed from any future knock-knocks

Multiply this by 30,000,000 gun owners in the US, and at best guess, 500,000,000 guns.

Well this should go like clockwork!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies