U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
 
30,888 posts, read 15,891,319 times
Reputation: 20560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Just like the 1A, the 2A is not limitless. It can, and does have restrictions. Don't call "fire" in a crowded theatre, don't own a machine gun.

Owning a firearm does not give one limitless rights. You can own it, but it may have restricted magazine capacities, or how you store it.
WRONG.

Yelling fire in a theater has a very high potential to cause injury to others. Simply owning high capacity magazines does not. It's not even clise to the same.

We have laws against randomly firing weapons into the air in dense population centers which is very close to the same as yelling fie in a theater.

Quit trying to remove protected freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
 
512 posts, read 113,814 times
Reputation: 637
Friends I would let everyone (other than proven felons and severe mental disorders) own a gun . They can have as many as they want BUT.....they can never ever leave their personal property WITH a gun if they dont have a special carry permit.... no exceptions...Hard jail time for any person caught with a gun and no permit.....no exceptions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
 
4,945 posts, read 998,578 times
Reputation: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
WRONG.

Yelling fire in a theater has a very high potential to cause injury to others. Simply owning high capacity magazines does not. It's not even clise to the same.

We have laws against randomly firing weapons into the air in dense population centers which is very close to the same as yelling fie in a theater.

Quit trying to remove protected freedoms.
So, you couldn't name the decision which makes safe storage requirements unconstitutional but deflected.

Why does the USA have the highest rate of suicide by guns in the world? Ready access to guns not in safe storage could help lower that sad reality by a lot.

Read that again. The USA has the HIGHEST rate of suicide by firearms in the entire world. The HIGHEST! Why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:05 AM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,253 posts, read 1,000,275 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Friends I would let everyone (other than proven felons and severe mental disorders) own a gun . They can have as many as they want BUT.....they can never ever leave their personal property WITH a gun if they dont have a special carry permit.... no exceptions...Hard jail time for any person caught with a gun and no permit.....no exceptions...
What would a "special carry permit" entail, and how do you imagine that would effect transportation and concealed/open carry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,253 posts, read 1,000,275 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Make sure that the current gun laws would be fully enforced


Make all states and cities accept the fact that the Second Amendment is the law of the land
Actually enforcing all current firearms laws would take a monumental force, and an unreal amount of monetary backing.
It would likely not end well at all, due to the home invasions it would necessitate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:37 AM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,348 posts, read 2,871,196 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Just like the 1A, the 2A is not limitless. It can, and does have restrictions. Don't call "fire" in a crowded theatre, don't own a machine gun.

Owning a firearm does not give one limitless rights. You can own it, but it may have restricted magazine capacities, or how you store it.


This is a commonly repeated fallacy.

It's not specifically Illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater.

It's Illegal to intentionally cause a panic and endangerment of others, regardless of how you do it or what specific words you use

So it's not a restriction on the 1st amendment as it doesn't bar you from saying the word "fire".

I can stand ony own property and yell "fire" at the top of my lungs all day......(my neighbors might think I'm weird or object if I'm close enough to them to be disturbing the peace.....but it's not Illegal per se).

Banning guns is different.

A ban on a certain type of gun would be like banning anyone from the using word "fire" altogether.....even on their own property.

Banning certain people from having guns is like banning them from using the word "fire"......ever.

Last edited by FatBob96; Today at 03:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,253 posts, read 1,000,275 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This is a commonly repeated fallacy.

It's not specifically Illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater.

It's Illegal to intentionally cause a panic and endangerment of others, regardless of how you do it or what specific words you use

So it's not a restriction on the 1st amendment as it doesn't bar you from saying the word "fire".

I can stand ony own property and yell "fire" at the top of my lungs all day......(my neighbors might think I'm weird or object if I'm close enough to them to be disturbing the peace.....but it's not Illegal per se).

Banning guns is different.

A ban on a certain type of gun would be like banning anyone from the using word "fire" altogether.....even on their own property.

Banning certain people from having guns is like banning them from using the word "fire"......ever.
An oddly fitting analogy. Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:05 AM
 
5,049 posts, read 2,266,034 times
Reputation: 7280
  • Thorough back ground checks for gun owners.
  • Reasonable limits the number of guns a person can own with exceptions for dealers, competition shooters.
  • Everyone that enters the military would undergo thorough back ground and psyche checks.They are issued a side arm and permit to carry for life. It would be their option to carry or not at discharge.
  • Reasonable limits to caliber, rounds and fire rates to the general public.
  • Concealed carry permit would require competency evaluation in laws, handling, marksmanship every 2-5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:08 AM
 
30,888 posts, read 15,891,319 times
Reputation: 20560
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So, you couldn't name the decision which makes safe storage requirements unconstitutional but deflected.

Why does the USA have the highest rate of suicide by guns in the world? Ready access to guns not in safe storage could help lower that sad reality by a lot.

Read that again. The USA has the HIGHEST rate of suicide by firearms in the entire world. The HIGHEST! Why do you think that is?
So now you want to own the lives of others?

People who want to commit suicide should have that right; otherwise, the government owns our very lives.

I'm not that surprised you want government owning our existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:09 AM
 
30,888 posts, read 15,891,319 times
Reputation: 20560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
  • Thorough back ground checks for gun owners.
  • Reasonable limits the number of guns a person can own with exceptions for dealers, competition shooters.
  • Everyone that enters the military would undergo thorough back ground and psyche checks.They are issued a side arm and permit to carry for life. It would be their option to carry or not at discharge.
  • Reasonable limits to caliber, rounds and fire rates to the general public.
  • Concealed carry permit would require competency evaluation in laws, handling, marksmanship every 2-5 years.

Please apply lots of restrictions to speech as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top