U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

10,261 posts, read 4,780,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
  • Thorough back ground checks for gun owners.
  • Reasonable limits the number of guns a person can own with exceptions for dealers, competition shooters.
  • Everyone that enters the military would undergo thorough back ground and psyche checks.They are issued a side arm and permit to carry for life. It would be their option to carry or not at discharge.
  • Reasonable limits to caliber, rounds and fire rates to the general public.
  • Concealed carry permit would require competency evaluation in laws, handling, marksmanship every 2-5 years.
What about those that have a rare gun collection?
Many come back from war with PTSD.
What would reasonable limits be?

As far as "rate of fire" explain? Revolver and semi autos all fire one round per trigger pull. Rate of fire depends on how fast you can pull the trigger.
Single-shot is not even good for most hunting, and worthless for protection. Different calibers are needed for different game and required by law to be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

40,853 posts, read 40,444,982 times
Mandatory background checks. Red Flag laws. Close loopholes that allow people to buy guns without anykind of background check, assuming that is a thing, I've heard it is.

Not sure if we need assault style weapon or not, but whatever. I'm more of the idea that mental health and the whole see something say something approach to help mitigate the mass shootings.

The problem is is that every law on the books right now would have not prevent most of these mass shootings, it's really the elephant in the room it seems. If we can keep an eye on people acting out and acting erratic, things that the red flag laws would attempt to address, that surely would help on some level.

My co-worker just a few days ago at lunch said he'd like to ban all guns like they did in Australia. I'm not for that either, especially after watching that documentary, "Ukraine on Fire". For me it really drove home the need for the 2nd Amendment.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Mandatory background checks. Red Flag laws. Close loopholes that allow people to buy guns without anykind of background check, assuming that is a thing, I've heard it is.

Not sure if we need assault style weapon or not, but whatever. I'm more of the idea that mental health and the whole see something say something approach to help mitigate the mass shootings.

The problem is is that every law on the books right now would have not prevent most of these mass shootings, it's really the elephant in the room it seems. If we can keep an eye on people acting out and acting erratic, things that the red flag laws would attempt to address, that surely would help on some level.

My co-worker just a few days ago at lunch said he'd like to ban all guns like they did in Australia. I'm not for that either, especially after watching that documentary, "Ukraine on Fire". For me it really drove home the need for the 2nd Amendment.
We already have mandatory background checks, except for private sales and there would be no way to enforce that.
Red flag laws are already being abused and have led to several deaths.
Australia has more guns now than they did before the "buy back". Mass shootings were rare before. Most of our "mass shootings" are black on black. They don't have the gangs we have.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

40,853 posts, read 40,444,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We already have mandatory background checks, except for private sales and there would be no way to enforce that.
Australia has more guns now than they did before the "buy back". Mass shootings were rare before. Most of our "mass shootings" are black on black. They don't have the gangs we have.
If we keep our conservation limited to the idea that mass shootings are like what we've been seeing, not what's happening in Baltimore and Chicago we can more accurately figure out how to solve that problem.

Not sure about the bolded, not sure how accurate they are, might be, I don't have stats to back it up. I think that something has to be done. The red flag thing seems like the easiest and quickest to put into practice. On the abuse of those, I'm not so sure that it's that much of a problem but change the laws to punish those that try to "weaponize" them.

I mean we can put a damn man on the moon, surely we can solve this issue here?

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

558 posts, read 483,418 times
You have the option to buy two licenses that are applicable for a car and/or gun.

If you want two cars no guns for you. If you want two guns you have to ride horseback.

Bullets and reload shells $100/ea flat rate across all states.

People in areas that have excessive deer/elk/wild boar populations get a discount on bullets decided by the state.

Mandatory 2 years of military school and 2 years of community service before the above is applicable(.)

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

33,941 posts, read 14,289,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You're not in CA are you?
Certain models restricted for no reason
Certain guns not allowed to be in original configuration
Waiting period restrictions
Bullet fees and background checks
Magazine restrictions
Pistol grip restrictions
Flash hider restrictions
Stock restrictions

Lots more, want me to go on. This is what PedroMartinez was referring to (I think)....
I believe Pedro is from Texas, probably why he didn't respond to me. Not one of those restrictions you mentioned amount to a ban which was his point, anyone that wants to own a gun and has no legal restrictions can acquire one, there is no ban. Concerns about pistol grips, flash hiders and the others you mentioned are remote and minimal. It seems like those from states with loose restrictions complain the loudest.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
You have the option to buy two licenses that are applicable for a car and/or gun.

If you want two cars no guns for you. If you want two guns you have to ride horseback.

Bullets and reload shells $100/ea flat rate across all states.

People in areas that have excessive deer/elk/wild boar populations get a discount on bullets decided by the state.

Mandatory 2 years of military school and 2 years of community service before the above is applicable(.)
Has to be the dumbest ideas ever. You listed these before and several people tried to explain where you were wrong.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

33,941 posts, read 14,289,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It makes absolutely no sense to just have background checks on some of the people. Which red flag laws have caused deaths. Gang violence is always a concern but mass shootings like in El Paso is a completely different problem. Its one thing for gang members to be shooting each other, quite another for someone with an AR15 gunning down shoppers at a Walmart.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It makes absolutely no sense to just have background checks on some of the people. Which red flag laws have caused deaths. Gang violence is always a concern but mass shootings like in El Paso is a completely different problem. Its one thing for gang members to be shooting each other, quite another for someone with an AR15 gunning down shoppers at a Walmart.
Why is it different? It is people killing people.
One state has a private sale BG check and determined that it cannot be enforced.
There have already been several deaths in Florida because of abuse of the Red Flag law.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

19,686 posts, read 17,715,898 times
David Hogg( AKA Lil' Nazi) was on Chris Hayes and they had a contest to see who could out stupid the other. Hogg won. He went in detail his hatred of the American government and its genocidal white supremacist history and then advocated it being allowed firearms and not US citizens. You know the very thing that the 2nd Amendment was made law to prevent.
I guess Harvard takes its applications in crayon drawings. At least when Obama was allowed in he used a pencil and could use words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies