U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 AM
 
7,231 posts, read 2,622,284 times
Reputation: 3951

Advertisements

Didn't read the thread, but here's what I would do if I was "in charge" -
  • Uphold the absolute, negative, natural right to own property.
  • Uphold the absolute, negative, natural right to own self.
  • Uphold the absolute, negative, natural right to defend life, liberty and property.
Easiest way to do that, get rid of the BATF and scrap every law pertaining to firearms that doesn't have to do with an actual initiation of force, i.e., possession, sale, transfer, licensing, carry, etc. If the law bans or regulates anything that isn't an initiation of force...scrap it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,516 posts, read 11,818,229 times
Reputation: 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Nope. In fact, I have a number. If you've read this thread, I use them for hunting, target shooting, and collection.

I don't own them "just in case I need to kill some fellow human being". That's just a silly reason.

Well...yea. Owning firearms for that express purpose is rather silly upon reflection. However it is a very common reason especially amongst criminals. Thus a part of my reasons for owning firearms is in response to that.


I don't hunt much anymore but I do participate in competition, practice regularly, shoot informally just for fun and I help instruct my shooting organizations CCW classes. I have been shooting since I was quite young. My Dad shot for the Navy and he started training me early.


He absolutely despised the AR 15/M 16 and had no issue at all with these rifles being unavailable to civilians. But he lived in a different world. Since these rifles in his day had ...issues...and were not used in any service rifle competition and as he saw it had no niche in hunting he saw no "need" for them in civilian shooting. It's a topic we disagreed on though he never saw me in possession of an AR. LOL, no sense stirring the pot.


That being said such rifles today are heavily use in hunting and competition of quite a few types. Camp Perry has a special class for them. They don't run alongside the M1s and M1As for obvious reasons. At any rate I have never been a supporter of bans on for civilian use on certain classes of firearms. I'm OK with being limited to semi auto only but beyond that I see no need for strict regulation or outright bans on anything.


We have seen the latter methodology at work in other countries and now these policies have turned to outright lunacy. Following bans on firearms places like the UK have taken to banning knives and such trying to protect everybody from themselves. This would happen here as well if we followed suit. If it were up to government and heir proponents we would not be allowed anything more dangerous than a box of Crayons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
52,001 posts, read 30,067,703 times
Reputation: 91005
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Just in case?

You have a better chance of getting killed by lightning. What's with the fear factor?

What if it's your son or daughter coming home late, and you think it's an intruder?

Like these fathers:

https://www.kptv.com/news/aloha-man-...27b5c0077.html

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...230586039.html

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...ruder-1671659/

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...icle-1.2494968

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...police-n495111

https://abcnews.go.com/US/father-fat...ry?id=48414190

So, just in case didn't work out that well for those children killed or injured, did it?
I don't have any sons, daughters, or relatives living with me, and if somebody walks up to my door at 2 AM, I will use the means that I have in place to find out who that person is before firing the weapon.

Those fathers in your message are not examples of good parents and gun owners, and thankfully such incidents are very low in comparison to those that happened with unknown intruders or those who had sinister motives to get into the residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM
 
30,477 posts, read 16,760,994 times
Reputation: 14126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Didn't read the thread, but here's what I would do if I was "in charge" -
  • Uphold the absolute, negative, natural right to own property.
  • Uphold the absolute, negative, natural right to own self.
  • Uphold the absolute, negative, natural right to defend life, liberty and property.
Easiest way to do that, get rid of the BATF and scrap every law pertaining to firearms that doesn't have to do with an actual initiation of force, i.e., possession, sale, transfer, licensing, carry, etc. If the law bans or regulates anything that isn't an initiation of force...scrap it.
Okay, you got the job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,656 posts, read 7,592,856 times
Reputation: 11140
Protect the second amendment.
Expand conceal and carry laws.
Lock up criminals.
Reopen the big mental institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:21 AM
 
5,017 posts, read 1,008,857 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't have any sons, daughters, or relatives living with me, and if somebody walks up to my door at 2 AM, I will use the means that I have in place to find out who that person is before firing the weapon.

Those fathers in your message are not examples of good parents and gun owners, and thankfully such incidents are very low in comparison to those that happened with unknown intruders or those who had sinister motives to get into the residence.
It took me all of literally 3 minutes to come up with that list. All gun owners claim they are "good and careful" owners, yet want to keep firearms with the magazine full, and one up the spout, "just in case".

Put the damn things in a safe or trigger lock them and keep your ammo separate. It will avoid these tragic cases, which are far, far more prevalent than a random person coming into your house at 2 AM.

Scary facts:
  • Guns were used in 11,078 homicides in the U.S. in 2010, comprising almost 35% of all gun deaths, and over 68% of all homicides.
  • Firearms were used in 19,392 suicides in the U.S. in 2010, constituting almost 62% of all gun deaths.

Source

More scary facts:
  • People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms.
  • Approximately one of three handguns guns is kept loaded and unlocked and most children know where their parents keep their guns.


Source


It's time to have realistic gun laws that mitigate these facts. Mandatory training and safe storage is a good start.

Last edited by normstad; 09-10-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM
 
10,286 posts, read 4,786,692 times
Reputation: 5675
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It took me all of literally 3 minutes to come up with that list. All gun owners claim they are "good and careful" owners, yet want to keep firearms with the magazine full, and one up the spout, "just in case".

But the damn things in a safe or trigger lock them and keep your ammo separate. It will avoid these tragic cases, which are far, far more prevalent than a random person coming into your house at 2 AM.

Scary facts:
  • Guns were used in 11,078 homicides in the U.S. in 2010, comprising almost 35% of all gun deaths, and over 68% of all homicides.
  • Firearms were used in 19,392 suicides in the U.S. in 2010, constituting almost 62% of all gun deaths.
Source

More scary facts:
  • People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms.
  • Approximately one of three handguns guns is kept loaded and unlocked and most children know where their parents keep their guns.

Source


It's time to have realistic gun laws that mitigate these facts. Mandatory training and safe storage is a good start.
Your ideas would also make guns useless if you need one for home defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
14,085 posts, read 8,822,370 times
Reputation: 20495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Your ideas would also make guns useless if you need one for home defense.
True. They would. And home invaders are killed all the time. A huge percentage of the time the shooter is solidly within his rights, too!


But here's the hard-to-answer question:
How many of those home invaders were armed? Rhetorical question, of course, unless someone can come up with actual answers. But my feeling is, "not many". Mostly they are unarmed and come sneaking in.
In other words, a baseball bat would have done the job perfectly well.
There are damned few "gunfights" in the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,162,786 times
Reputation: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
1. Make Constitutional Carry a reality.
2. Enforce the laws that are already on the books concerning 'gun' crime.
I would move to Kansas, but, I'm already here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,162,786 times
Reputation: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
True. They would. And home invaders are killed all the time. A huge percentage of the time the shooter is solidly within his rights, too!


But here's the hard-to-answer question:
How many of those home invaders were armed? Rhetorical question, of course, unless someone can come up with actual answers. But my feeling is, "not many". Mostly they are unarmed and come sneaking in.
In other words, a baseball bat would have done the job perfectly well.
There are damned few "gunfights" in the home.
If they are "sneaking" into my house, they will be met with something much sufficient than a bat. Way to old to mess with someone like that. If they break into a house they are looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top